Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
Autostart Windows Mail and Calender
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup folder to
get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
-Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender started
automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to check
my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER until i
remember to run windows calender. HELP.
-Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the screen
just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
check under Windows Calendar Options for check box regarding appointment warnings.



mikeyhsd@comcast.net



"Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup folder to
get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
-Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender started
automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to check
my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER until i
remember to run windows calender. HELP.
-Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the screen
just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
R. C. White [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
Hi, Autostart.

I agree. I don't want to have to be reminded to run the reminder. :^{

To run a program every time Vista starts up, we can put the .exe file in the
Startup folder. There may be several Startup folders, one for each User,
plus the one for All Users. To see the contents of this folder for the
current user, click Start | All Programs | Startup. To see the one for All
Users, right-click that Startup folder and then Open All Users (or Explore
All Users).

For details, click Start | Help and Support, then type "autostart" into the
Search box.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail desktop beta in Vista Ultimate x64)


"Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and
Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
>I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup folder
>to
> get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
> -Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender started
> automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to
> check
> my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER until
> i
> remember to run windows calender. HELP.
> -Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the screen
> just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
"R. C. White [MVP]" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
news:e33pmQgnHHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi, Autostart.
>
> I agree. I don't want to have to be reminded to run the reminder. :^{
>
> To run a program every time Vista starts up, we can put the .exe file in
> the Startup folder.


Would a shortcut do?



There may be several Startup folders, one for each User,
> plus the one for All Users. To see the contents of this folder for the
> current user, click Start | All Programs | Startup. To see the one for
> All Users, right-click that Startup folder and then Open All Users (or
> Explore All Users).
>
> For details, click Start | Help and Support, then type "autostart" into
> the Search box.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail desktop beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
>
> "Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and
> Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
>>I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup folder
>>to
>> get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
>> -Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender
>> started
>> automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to
>> check
>> my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER
>> until i
>> remember to run windows calender. HELP.
>> -Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the screen
>> just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.

>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
R. C. White, MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
Hi, Julian.

Yes, I suppose a shortcut or any other executable would do just as well as
an .exe file. But why bother with the shortcut? Why not just use the .exe?
Unless you need to run a .bat file to do more than just run the .exe.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2206703E-9123-4939-8489-D7A68BA2A765@microsoft.com...
> "R. C. White [MVP]" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> news:e33pmQgnHHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hi, Autostart.
>>
>> I agree. I don't want to have to be reminded to run the reminder. :^{
>>
>> To run a program every time Vista starts up, we can put the .exe file in
>> the Startup folder.

>
> Would a shortcut do?
>
>
>
> There may be several Startup folders, one for each User,
>> plus the one for All Users. To see the contents of this folder for the
>> current user, click Start | All Programs | Startup. To see the one for
>> All Users, right-click that Startup folder and then Open All Users (or
>> Explore All Users).
>>
>> For details, click Start | Help and Support, then type "autostart" into
>> the Search box.
>>
>> RC
>>
>>
>> "Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and
>> Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
>>>I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup
>>>folder to
>>> get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
>>> -Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender
>>> started
>>> automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to
>>> check
>>> my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER
>>> until i
>>> remember to run windows calender. HELP.
>>> -Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the screen
>>> just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-24-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
"R. C. White, MVP" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
news:390642B5-1F18-49EE-A8DE-D9972398C19E@microsoft.com...
> Hi, Julian.
>
> Yes, I suppose a shortcut or any other executable would do just as well as
> an .exe file. But why bother with the shortcut? Why not just use the
> .exe? Unless you need to run a .bat file to do more than just run the
> .exe.


Hi, I was concerned, maybe unnecessarily but nonetheless, about copying
and or moving .exe's because I don't wan't duplicate files if I can help it
and also wasn't sure about maintenance implications of .exe's not being in
their home folders. I perceive having to remember to move a new version
of a .exe as one more opportunity to screw things up.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you but that was what going through
my mind. I'd be delighted to hear I've got the wrong end of the stick

>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2206703E-9123-4939-8489-D7A68BA2A765@microsoft.com...
>> "R. C. White [MVP]" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>> news:e33pmQgnHHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi, Autostart.
>>>
>>> I agree. I don't want to have to be reminded to run the reminder. :^{
>>>
>>> To run a program every time Vista starts up, we can put the .exe file in
>>> the Startup folder.

>>
>> Would a shortcut do?
>>
>>
>>
>> There may be several Startup folders, one for each User,
>>> plus the one for All Users. To see the contents of this folder for the
>>> current user, click Start | All Programs | Startup. To see the one for
>>> All Users, right-click that Startup folder and then Open All Users (or
>>> Explore All Users).
>>>
>>> For details, click Start | Help and Support, then type "autostart" into
>>> the Search box.
>>>
>>> RC
>>>
>>>
>>> "Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and
>>> Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
>>>>I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup
>>>>folder to
>>>> get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
>>>> -Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender
>>>> started
>>>> automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to
>>>> check
>>>> my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER
>>>> until i
>>>> remember to run windows calender. HELP.
>>>> -Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the
>>>> screen
>>>> just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.

>



Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Neil Harley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
R. C. White, MVP wrote:
> Hi, Julian.
>
> Yes, I suppose a shortcut or any other executable would do just as well
> as an .exe file. But why bother with the shortcut? Why not just use
> the .exe? Unless you need to run a .bat file to do more than just run
> the .exe.
>
> RC


Are you seriously suggesting that moving .exe files into the Startup
folder rather than shortcuts is a good idea? What about updating the
applications? What about users not having the rights to move .exe files
about?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Dave
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
Moving the .exe file into the Startup folder doesn't make any sense.
Use a shortcut instead.


"Neil Harley" <nomail@home.net> wrote in message
news:e7hDe7pnHHA.3460@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> R. C. White, MVP wrote:
>> Hi, Julian.
>>
>> Yes, I suppose a shortcut or any other executable would do just as well
>> as an .exe file. But why bother with the shortcut? Why not just use the
>> .exe? Unless you need to run a .bat file to do more than just run the
>> .exe.
>>
>> RC

>
> Are you seriously suggesting that moving .exe files into the Startup
> folder rather than shortcuts is a good idea? What about updating the
> applications? What about users not having the rights to move .exe files
> about?


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
R. C. White, MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
Hi, Julian.

You're right, of course. Leave the .exe where it is and put a shortcut into
Startup.

Thanks to you, and to Neil and Dave, for correcting this for me.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)

"Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:9A0BC60B-477B-494D-83AF-D03122BC1B3B@microsoft.com...
> "R. C. White, MVP" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> news:390642B5-1F18-49EE-A8DE-D9972398C19E@microsoft.com...
>> Hi, Julian.
>>
>> Yes, I suppose a shortcut or any other executable would do just as well
>> as an .exe file. But why bother with the shortcut? Why not just use the
>> .exe? Unless you need to run a .bat file to do more than just run the
>> .exe.

>
> Hi, I was concerned, maybe unnecessarily but nonetheless, about copying
> and or moving .exe's because I don't wan't duplicate files if I can help
> it
> and also wasn't sure about maintenance implications of .exe's not being in
> their home folders. I perceive having to remember to move a new version
> of a .exe as one more opportunity to screw things up.
>
> I don't know if that makes any sense to you but that was what going
> through
> my mind. I'd be delighted to hear I've got the wrong end of the stick
>
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>>
>> "Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:2206703E-9123-4939-8489-D7A68BA2A765@microsoft.com...
>>> "R. C. White [MVP]" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
>>> news:e33pmQgnHHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>> Hi, Autostart.
>>>>
>>>> I agree. I don't want to have to be reminded to run the reminder. :^{
>>>>
>>>> To run a program every time Vista starts up, we can put the .exe file
>>>> in the Startup folder.
>>>
>>> Would a shortcut do?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> There may be several Startup folders, one for each User,
>>>> plus the one for All Users. To see the contents of this folder for the
>>>> current user, click Start | All Programs | Startup. To see the one for
>>>> All Users, right-click that Startup folder and then Open All Users (or
>>>> Explore All Users).
>>>>
>>>> For details, click Start | Help and Support, then type "autostart" into
>>>> the Search box.
>>>>
>>>> RC
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Autostart Windows Mail and Calender" <Autostart Windows Mail and
>>>> Calender@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:1A7E0A12-4FE7-41E9-B4EF-5BBA008DA094@microsoft.com...
>>>>>I miss the old ways when I could place my *exe file in some startup
>>>>>folder to
>>>>> get my programs started whenever I started or restarted my computer.
>>>>> -Is it possible for me to get my windows mail and windows calender
>>>>> started
>>>>> automatically so i don't miss my appointments. Any time I remember to
>>>>> check
>>>>> my calender I have missed something already. I dont have a REMINDER
>>>>> until i
>>>>> remember to run windows calender. HELP.
>>>>> -Is there any way of placing a running program permanently on the
>>>>> screen
>>>>> just like the clock in the systemtray.HELP me.

>>

>
>


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-25-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Mail and Calender should be up and running on start/restar
"R. C. White, MVP" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
news:402384ED-2BFA-455B-9571-4D2015713F0C@microsoft.com...
> Hi, Julian.
>
> You're right, of course. Leave the .exe where it is and put a shortcut
> into Startup.
>
> Thanks to you, and to Neil and Dave, for correcting this for me.


Phew! You had me worried.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sync You PDA with Windows Vista Mail and Calender Oscar Sichez microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 06-15-2007 01:45
clicking and running an .wmv attachment in Vista Windows Mail =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZG1hbg==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 0 04-20-2007 16:52
Errors in Windows Mail - Calender =?Utf-8?B?c2Nvb2J5?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 2 03-02-2007 15:33
windows calender cannot start Garry microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-18-2007 14:03
WM5 Sync with Vista "Windows Calender", "Contacts", and "Mail" =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-17-2007 01:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:49.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120