Back Up Files

Ryka

Back Up Files
I followed the "directions" to create a Back Up File - but after many tries
I have to give up up unless I can please get some help! I tried to put the
back-up on the Recovery D but it tells me there is no free disk space. How
can there be no free space when I have never created a Back Up? Then I tried
to put it on CD-R but it keeps telling me that the Back Up failed. What is
wrong? All of the Help Section don't seem to be helping me understand why I
cannot Back Up my files. Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Back Up Files
The Recovery partition is not designed to be a backup target. It's created
by OEMs (the people who make computers) to store recovery data required to
restore the PC to a newly installed state. The partition isn't usually big
enough to do any useful backups.

Since you are getting CD burning errors, I would suspect that your CD needs
an updated driver or there is a problem with your CD media. My
recommendation is to buy an external hard disk to store your backups.

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>I followed the "directions" to create a Back Up File - but after many tries
>I have to give up up unless I can please get some help! I tried to put the
>back-up on the Recovery D but it tells me there is no free disk space. How
>can there be no free space when I have never created a Back Up? Then I
>tried to put it on CD-R but it keeps telling me that the Back Up failed.
>What is wrong? All of the Help Section don't seem to be helping me
>understand why I cannot Back Up my files. Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Back Up Files
I can help you investigate the issue with backing up to CDs if you'd like.
Please contact me via email (remove "online" from my address) and I'll give
you instructions on how to send me your backup logs.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Recovery partition is not designed to be a backup target. It's created
> by OEMs (the people who make computers) to store recovery data required to
> restore the PC to a newly installed state. The partition isn't usually big
> enough to do any useful backups.
>
> Since you are getting CD burning errors, I would suspect that your CD
> needs an updated driver or there is a problem with your CD media. My
> recommendation is to buy an external hard disk to store your backups.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>I followed the "directions" to create a Back Up File - but after many
>>tries I have to give up up unless I can please get some help! I tried to
>>put the back-up on the Recovery D but it tells me there is no free disk
>>space. How can there be no free space when I have never created a Back Up?
>>Then I tried to put it on CD-R but it keeps telling me that the Back Up
>>failed. What is wrong? All of the Help Section don't seem to be helping me
>>understand why I cannot Back Up my files. Thanks.

Ryka

Re: Back Up Files
I am so embarassed - I read your response, re-read the HP Trroubleshooting
book, and then carefully looked at the CD-Rs I was trying to burn with. They
say that they must match the speed of the recording. Someone gave me these
two 50 packs (some "gift"!!) and they are not compatible with Vista. I found
the last remaining CD-R I had previously being using, which says it's
compatible with 12x, 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x recording speeds. I tried that last
disc and voila! It burned the audio CD I was using to practice with. So,
when I get more of the correct CD-Rs I'm pretty sure I can burn the Recovery
Data and Back Ups. I also think I will look into an external hard disk.
Thank you for your help.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Recovery partition is not designed to be a backup target. It's created
> by OEMs (the people who make computers) to store recovery data required to
> restore the PC to a newly installed state. The partition isn't usually big
> enough to do any useful backups.
>
> Since you are getting CD burning errors, I would suspect that your CD
> needs an updated driver or there is a problem with your CD media. My
> recommendation is to buy an external hard disk to store your backups.

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>I followed the "directions" to create a Back Up File - but after many
>>tries I have to give up up unless I can please get some help! I tried to
>>put the back-up on the Recovery D but it tells me there is no free disk
>>space. How can there be no free space when I have never created a Back Up?
>>Then I tried to put it on CD-R but it keeps telling me that the Back Up
>>failed. What is wrong? All of the Help Section don't seem to be helping me
>>understand why I cannot Back Up my files. Thanks.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Back Up Files
Glad to hear that new media solved your problem. Sometimes it's hard to
convince people to go out and buy different CDs so it's good that you had
one available to try. :-)

>I am so embarassed - I read your response, re-read the HP Trroubleshooting
>book, and then carefully looked at the CD-Rs I was trying to burn with.
>They say that they must match the speed of the recording. Someone gave me
>these two 50 packs (some "gift"!!) and they are not compatible with Vista.
>I found the last remaining CD-R I had previously being using, which says
>it's compatible with 12x, 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x recording speeds. I tried that
>last disc and voila! It burned the audio CD I was using to practice with.
>So, when I get more of the correct CD-Rs I'm pretty sure I can burn the
>Recovery Data and Back Ups. I also think I will look into an external hard
>disk. Thank you for your help.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The Recovery partition is not designed to be a backup target. It's
>> created by OEMs (the people who make computers) to store recovery data
>> required to restore the PC to a newly installed state. The partition
>> isn't usually big enough to do any useful backups.
>>
>> Since you are getting CD burning errors, I would suspect that your CD
>> needs an updated driver or there is a problem with your CD media. My
>> recommendation is to buy an external hard disk to store your backups.

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>>I followed the "directions" to create a Back Up File - but after many
>>>tries I have to give up up unless I can please get some help! I tried to
>>>put the back-up on the Recovery D but it tells me there is no free disk
>>>space. How can there be no free space when I have never created a Back
>>>Up? Then I tried to put it on CD-R but it keeps telling me that the Back
>>>Up failed. What is wrong? All of the Help Section don't seem to be
>>>helping me understand why I cannot Back Up my files. Thanks.

Ryka

Re: Back Up Files
If I may, I have one more question - I have been advised to get an external
hard drive. What brand, model, specs would you suggest for use with Vista
Home Premium? I've never used an external hard drive before so I'm lost as
to what to purchase.

> Glad to hear that new media solved your problem. Sometimes it's hard to
> convince people to go out and buy different CDs so it's good that you had
> one available to try. :-)

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>
> "Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote in message
>>I am so embarassed - I read your response, re-read the HP Trroubleshooting
>>book, and then carefully looked at the CD-Rs I was trying to burn with.
>>They say that they must match the speed of the recording. Someone gave me
>>these two 50 packs (some "gift"!!) and they are not compatible with Vista.
>>I found the last remaining CD-R I had previously being using, which says
>>it's compatible with 12x, 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x recording speeds. I tried
>>that last disc and voila! It burned the audio CD I was using to practice
>>with. So, when I get more of the correct CD-Rs I'm pretty sure I can burn
>>the Recovery Data and Back Ups. I also think I will look into an external
>>hard disk. Thank you for your help.
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The Recovery partition is not designed to be a backup target. It's
>>> created by OEMs (the people who make computers) to store recovery data
>>> required to restore the PC to a newly installed state. The partition
>>> isn't usually big enough to do any useful backups.
>>>
>>> Since you are getting CD burning errors, I would suspect that your CD
>>> needs an updated driver or there is a problem with your CD media. My
>>> recommendation is to buy an external hard disk to store your backups.
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Back Up Files
I don't have any specific recommendations on brands but others here might. I
bought a 500-GB drive at Costco and couldn't even tell you what brand it is
(and it's at home, so I literally cannot tell you). Just get the biggest one
you can afford. You'll want an external USB 2.0 disk. I think they are
pretty common these days.