Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very annoy

electrofux

Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very annoy
Hi,

i have a very annoying problem with Vista and that is: whenever the
screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if i
return to the desktop.
I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not wanted at
all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA Hardrive.
With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a Media
Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.

I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and switched
to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe and
rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any advice?

Kinde regards
electrofux
Rick Rogers

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very annoy
Hi,

> I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation

Why would you disable the very processes that strive to make your machine
work faster?

Do you have an active antivirus, spyware, or other malware package on the
system? Chances are that it is doing some automatic scanning while the
system is idle. If it stops when you return to the desktop, then it's
performing properly. Same goes for those background processes you disabled.
If you don't want the hard drive doing anything (which is contrary to all
the perfomance enhancing processes), then shut the machine down when not in
use.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD70AB15-6AC1-42EE-BCEC-345045A675FC@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> i have a very annoying problem with Vista and that is: whenever the
> screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if i
> return to the desktop.
> I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not wanted
> at
> all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA Hardrive.
> With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a Media
> Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.
>
> I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and
> switched
> to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe and
> rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
> I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any
> advice?
>
> Kinde regards
> electrofux

electrofux

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very a

> Why would you disable the very processes that strive to make your machine
> work faster?

Well, i am just trying to find out what the heck Vista is doing while the
screensaver is on and i am sitting on my sofa.
So anything that Vista might be doing in the background is suspicious to me.
I can turn it on later anyways if it is not the cause.
Seemingly it is not the reason for the constant harddrive activity but i
would leave it turned off until i found the cause.
Also i have no speed/performance problems, i have a harddrive noise problem
as my system is otherwise very silent, so that the hardrive noise drives me
crazy.

> Do you have an active antivirus, spyware, or other malware package on the
> system? Chances are that it is doing some automatic scanning while the
> system is idle. If it stops when you return to the desktop, then it's
> performing properly. Same goes for those background processes you disabled.

None of the above though i have to check if Windows defender is running (i
am not connected to the Internet anyways, so it could be turned off).

> If you don't want the hard drive doing anything (which is contrary to all
> the perfomance enhancing processes), then shut the machine down when not in
> use.

I don't want to put the PC to sleep because i have another PC that wants to
connect to the media libary, so it has to be running. I just want it to
behave like XP when it is in an idle state (maybe i should really go back).

Do you know what Vista is doing then and how i can turn it off? I don't need
it whatever it is. I have found out that a lot of people seem to have this
issue but no one really found a solution that worked for me.

Cheers
electrofux

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation

> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD70AB15-6AC1-42EE-BCEC-345045A675FC@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have a very annoying problem with Vista and that is: whenever the
> > screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if i
> > return to the desktop.
> > I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not wanted
> > at
> > all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA Hardrive.
> > With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a Media
> > Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.
> >
> > I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and
> > switched
> > to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe and
> > rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
> > I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any
> > advice?
> >
> > Kinde regards
> > electrofux

Paul Smith

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very a
How long have you had Vista installed? Drive access is very high relatively
speaking in the first few days and dies down once its indexed everything
etc.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

> [...]

>> > screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if
>> > return to the desktop.
>> > I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not
>> > wanted
>> > at
>> > all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA
>> > Hardrive.
>> > With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a
>> > Media
>> > Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.
>> >
>> > I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and
>> > switched
>> > to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe
>> > and
>> > rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
>> > I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any

electrofux

"Paul Smith" wrote:

> How long have you had Vista installed? Drive access is very high relatively
> speaking in the first few days and dies down once its indexed everything
> etc.

Over a month now and running at least 5 hours a day. I have heard that once
indexing is done after a couple of days that harddrive activity should cease.
But i had it running a couple of days in a row in the beginning and at the
moment i have turned indexing off. But maybe there are other processes going
on.

How can i find out what exactly is using my harddrive? I have posted before
that i have shut down every but two processes and the harddrive is still
running.
It is really bizarr, as long as you work the System works like a charm and
Vista is really nice. But when i leave the computer alone and as soon as the
screensaver turn on the harddrive led blinks constantly and you have that
annoying noise.
From a media center point of view this is not at all workable.

Cheers
electrofux

> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
>

> "electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Why would you disable the very processes that strive to make your machine
> >> work faster?

> > Well, i am just trying to find out what the heck Vista is doing while the
> > screensaver is on and i am sitting on my sofa.
> > So anything that Vista might be doing in the background is suspicious to
> > me.
> > I can turn it on later anyways if it is not the cause.
> > Seemingly it is not the reason for the constant harddrive activity but i
> > would leave it turned off until i found the cause.
> > Also i have no speed/performance problems, i have a harddrive noise
> > problem
> > as my system is otherwise very silent, so that the hardrive noise drives
> > me
> > crazy.
> >
> >> Do you have an active antivirus, spyware, or other malware package on the
> >> system? Chances are that it is doing some automatic scanning while the
> >> system is idle. If it stops when you return to the desktop, then it's
> >> performing properly. Same goes for those background processes you
> >> disabled.

> > None of the above though i have to check if Windows defender is running (i
> > am not connected to the Internet anyways, so it could be turned off).
> >
> >> If you don't want the hard drive doing anything (which is contrary to all
> >> the perfomance enhancing processes), then shut the machine down when not
> >> in
> >> use.

> > I don't want to put the PC to sleep because i have another PC that wants
> > connect to the media libary, so it has to be running. I just want it to
> > behave like XP when it is in an idle state (maybe i should really go
> > back).
> >
> > Do you know what Vista is doing then and how i can turn it off? I don't
> > need
> > it whatever it is. I have found out that a lot of people seem to have this
> > issue but no one really found a solution that worked for me.
> >
> > Cheers
> > electrofux
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsD70AB15-6AC1-42EE-BCEC-345045A675FC@microsoft.com...

AJR

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very annoy
Verify that the computer is not going to "Sleep/Hibernate".

"electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD70AB15-6AC1-42EE-BCEC-345045A675FC@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> i have a very annoying problem with Vista and that is: whenever the
> screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if i
> return to the desktop.
> I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not wanted
> at
> all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA Hardrive.
> With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a Media
> Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.
>
> I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and
> switched
> to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe and
> rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
> I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any
> advice?
>
> Kinde regards
> electrofux

electrofux

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very a
no preparation for hibernation or sleep mode.

electrofux

"AJR" wrote:

> Verify that the computer is not going to "Sleep/Hibernate".
>
> "electrofux" <electrofux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD70AB15-6AC1-42EE-BCEC-345045A675FC@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > i have a very annoying problem with Vista and that is: whenever the
> > screensaver starts my harddrive suddenly gets active and only stops if i
> > return to the desktop.
> > I have a normally silent system so this harddrive activity is not wanted
> > at
> > all. I have a core2duo 6600 and 2Gig of Ram and a Samsung SATA Hardrive.
> > With XP this has never been that way and since i use my PC more as a Media
> > Center it is so annoying that i am up to switch back to XP.
> >
> > I have tried to disable Indexing and automatic defragmentation and
> > switched
> > to classic mode. I have even tried to delete all processes (crss.exe and
> > rundll.exe remained) but still the harddrive starts.
> > I really want to stopp this without having to go to sleep mode. Any
> > advice?
> >
> > Kinde regards
> > electrofux

electrofux

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very a

I might have found the reason. It seems that even if you have excluded every
directory from indexing via the control panel (indexing locations) Vista
still indexes when this is not also deactivated in the drives properties
(right clicking the drive in the explorer).
All this background stuff and the different locations where to de/activate
them is a lot more confusing than in XP.
Actually it doesn't have that amount of activity anymore but i have also
changed other stuff so i have to survey this a ittle.

Cheers
electrofux
electrofux

Re: Hardrive allways starts shortly after the screensaver - very a
Hi,

the harddisk activity is back again, it is a little bit better since i have
checked out indexing in the drives property but Vista is still doing a lot
when the screensaver is on.
I use the PC 50% as a media center and with this drive activity this is not
very workable.
Is there no way to tell Vista to simply not do anything when the screensaver
is on?
I mean if i would send it to sleep it wouldn't have the chance to do what it
obviously wants to do anyways (but as i said i need the PC to be on).
I hope there is a solution. I wouldn't like to go back to XP.

Cheers
electrofux