How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?

akita

How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?
I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a prolonged
time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
Defragmenter.

Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to do a
far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like to
turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is idle.

The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me in the
right direction.

All help and advice would be much appreciated.

Rock

Re: How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?
"akita" wrote
>I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a prolonged
> time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
> Defragmenter.
>
> Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to do a
> far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like to
> turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is idle.
>
> The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
> guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
> routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me in
> the
> right direction.
>
> All help and advice would be much appreciated.

Multiposted to multiple groups.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

akita

Re: How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?
Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.

FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!

If you happen to have some helpful info I'd be happy to hear it, otherwise,
just keep it, OK? Thanks! No hard feelings.

"Rock" wrote:

> "akita" wrote
> >I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a prolonged
> > time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
> > Defragmenter.
> >
> > Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to do a
> > far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like to
> > turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is idle.
> >
> > The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
> > guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
> > routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me in
> > the
> > right direction.
> >
> > All help and advice would be much appreciated.

> Multiposted to multiple groups.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Milhouse Van Houten

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "akita" wrote
>>I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a prolonged
>> time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
>> Defragmenter.
>>
>> Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to do
>> far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like to
>> turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is idle.
>>
>> The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
>> guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
>> routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me in
>> the
>> right direction.
>>
>> All help and advice would be much appreciated.

Go to your Start menu and type "task. Once in Task Scheduler, look in the
Microsoft/Windows/Defrag section. You can right-click Scheduled Defrag to
disable it.

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.
>
> FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!
>
> If you happen to have some helpful info I'd be happy to hear it,
> otherwise,
> just keep it, OK? Thanks! No hard feelings.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "akita" wrote
>> >I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a
>> >prolonged
>> > time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
>> > Defragmenter.
>> >
>> > Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to
>> > do a
>> > far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like
>> > turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is
>> > idle.
>> >
>> > The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
>> > guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
>> > routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me
>> > in
>> > the
>> > right direction.
>> >
>> > All help and advice would be much appreciated.

>> Multiposted to multiple groups.

I replied in another newsgroup. As I said before, do not multipost.
Crosspost when appropriate. There is a difference.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?
> FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!

No, it doesn't, as most of the people trying to help monitor multiple
groups. The same people helping here also likely monitor the other groups
you posted in. So, you are actually slowing them down by multiposting as
they have to redownload and reread your post (or mark it as read). By
crossposting properly, they only do it once, and the response will appear in
all the groups you've selected for anyone else that is interested in the
answer.

As to your issue: Open Task Scheduler (just type it into the start prompt),
locate and disable the Windows defrag routine. Under Task Scheduler
Library/Microsoft/Windows/Defrag, click on that folder, then on 'disable' in
the actions field.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.
>
> FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!
>
> If you happen to have some helpful info I'd be happy to hear it,
> otherwise,
> just keep it, OK? Thanks! No hard feelings.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "akita" wrote
>> >I recently noticed that whenever my laptop is an idle mode for a
>> >prolonged
>> > time, DfrgNtfs.exe comes in. I understand that this Vista’s native Disk
>> > Defragmenter.
>> >
>> > Since I am using Raxco’s Disk Defragmentation Utility, which seems to
>> > do a
>> > far better (and faster) job then the native Defragmenter, I would like
>> > turn DfrgNtfs.exe off so that it no longer runs when the system is
>> > idle.
>> >
>> > The thing is, I can’t find any option in Vista (Ultimate) to do that. I
>> > guess there must be some preset schedule in one of the task management
>> > routines, but I sure can’t find it. Perhaps someone here can point me
>> > in
>> > the
>> > right direction.
>> >
>> > All help and advice would be much appreciated.

>> Multiposted to multiple groups.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?
On Tue, 22 May 2007 23:26:00 -0700, akita
<akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.
>
>FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!

No, what multiposting does is fragment the thread, so someone who
answers in one newsgroup doesn't get to see answers from others in
another newsgroup. So incorrect answers don't always get pointed out.
And for those who read all the newsgroups the message is multiposted
to, they see the message multiple times instead of once (they would
see it only once if you correctly crossposted instead). This wastes
everyone's time, and gets you poorer help than you should get.

If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup, please
do so by crossposting (but only to a *few* related newsgroups).

Please see "What is the accepted way to share a message across
multiple newsgroups?" at http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Neil Harley

akita wrote:
> Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.
>
> FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it,
> tough!
>
> If you happen to have some helpful info I'd be happy to hear it,
> otherwise, just keep it, OK? Thanks! No hard feelings.

How to win friends and influence people
Robert Moir

Re: How to disable DfrgNtfs.exe?

"akita" <akita@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Rock: Ta, but that's unhelpful.
>
> FYI, multiposting helps finding answers quicker. You don't like it, tough!
>
> If you happen to have some helpful info I'd be happy to hear it,
> otherwise,
> just keep it, OK? Thanks! No hard feelings.

Something must be wrong with your connection. That came out as "Blah blah
blah I'm an inconsiderate jerk". Is that really what you meant to type?