Boosting Windows Experience Index Score

John

Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
I am wondering if, short of a hardware upgrade, there is anything I can do
to get this machine's Win Exp Index Score of 3.0 up. This is a pretty new
machine, and it seems to me the score should be higher. I am posting all
the seemingly relevant information I can find below. The BIOS version and
graphics driver are advertised to be the latest, nevertheless, I have looked
for a newer graphics driver from Dell, Nvidia, and Microsoft, to no avail.
I am wondering if anybody out there might have a similar machine with higher
scores. Suggestions?

Thanks

Component Details Subscore 3.0 Base score 3.0
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 4.9
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.5
Graphics NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 3.6
Gaming graphics 335 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0
Primary hard disk 76GB Free (93GB Total) 5.1
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/22/2007, 10:06:16
Machine name: DELL-D620
Operating System: Windows VistaT Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000)
(6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude D620
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 860MB used, 3465MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: Quadro NVS 110M
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_A1
Display Memory: 330 MB
Dedicated Memory: 58 MB
Shared Memory: 271 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvapi.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0010.9746 (English)
DDI Version: 9Ex

Mary

RE: Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
That's not necessary. You are not being tested. The score really means
nothing if you are happy with performance. The score is not an average. It's
the lowest one--In your case the graphics score. Mine is a paltry 2.1 and
Vista & Aero work just fine. You really have an excellent, although
meaningless, score.

"John" wrote:

> I am wondering if, short of a hardware upgrade, there is anything I can do
> to get this machine's Win Exp Index Score of 3.0 up. This is a pretty new
> machine, and it seems to me the score should be higher. I am posting all
> the seemingly relevant information I can find below. The BIOS version and
> graphics driver are advertised to be the latest, nevertheless, I have looked
> for a newer graphics driver from Dell, Nvidia, and Microsoft, to no avail.
> I am wondering if anybody out there might have a similar machine with higher
> scores. Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Component Details Subscore 3.0 Base score 3.0
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 4.9
> Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.5
> Graphics NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 3.6
> Gaming graphics 335 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0
> Primary hard disk 76GB Free (93GB Total) 5.1
> Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
>
> ------------------
> System Information
> ------------------
> Time of this report: 5/22/2007, 10:06:16
> Machine name: DELL-D620
> Operating System: Windows VistaT Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000)
> (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
> Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
> System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
> System Model: Latitude D620
> BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
> Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
> Memory: 2046MB RAM
> Page File: 860MB used, 3465MB available
> Windows Dir: C:\Windows
> DirectX Version: DirectX 10
> DX Setup Parameters: Not found
> DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
>
> ---------------
> Display Devices
> ---------------
> Card name: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
> Manufacturer: NVIDIA
> Chip type: Quadro NVS 110M
> DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
> Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_A1
> Display Memory: 330 MB
> Dedicated Memory: 58 MB
> Shared Memory: 271 MB
> Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
> Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
> Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvapi.dll
> Driver Version: 7.15.0010.9746 (English)
> DDI Version: 9Ex

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
Couple of things for you... I have a similar laptop (HP tx1119us) and have
had to do the following...

Reload the OS from scratch - it came with too much junkware stealing CPU
cycles (things like Norton). By doing a nuke and fresh install, I got rid of
all that stuff...tried uninstalling it all first but that just made the
system unstable.

Use Microsoft's Autoruns program to turn off various startup things and
services you don't need. Which ones? I think I turned off Windows Search,
QuickTime, a few others I didn't think I needed.

Use TweakVI to implement processor-specific tweaks.

Finally, go into the nVidia drivers advanced 3D settings and move the slider
from Quality to Performance.

That final one moved my graphics from 2.4 to 3.1. I don't think it'll get
much better...

Oh, and defrag C: while you're at it...<g>

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"John" <john_w@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am wondering if, short of a hardware upgrade, there is anything I can do
>to get this machine's Win Exp Index Score of 3.0 up. This is a pretty new
>machine, and it seems to me the score should be higher. I am posting all
>the seemingly relevant information I can find below. The BIOS version and
>graphics driver are advertised to be the latest, nevertheless, I have
>looked for a newer graphics driver from Dell, Nvidia, and Microsoft, to no
>avail. I am wondering if anybody out there might have a similar machine
>with higher scores. Suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Component Details Subscore 3.0 Base score 3.0
> Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz 4.9
> Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.5
> Graphics NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) 3.6
> Gaming graphics 335 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0
> Primary hard disk 76GB Free (93GB Total) 5.1
> Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
>
> ------------------
> System Information
> ------------------
> Time of this report: 5/22/2007, 10:06:16
> Machine name: DELL-D620
> Operating System: Windows VistaT Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000)
> (6000.vista_rtm.061101-2205)
> Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
> System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
> System Model: Latitude D620
> BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
> Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs),
> ~2.0GHz
> Memory: 2046MB RAM
> Page File: 860MB used, 3465MB available
> Windows Dir: C:\Windows
> DirectX Version: DirectX 10
> DX Setup Parameters: Not found
> DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
>
> ---------------
> Display Devices
> ---------------
> Card name: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
> Manufacturer: NVIDIA
> Chip type: Quadro NVS 110M
> DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
> Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_A1
> Display Memory: 330 MB
> Dedicated Memory: 58 MB
> Shared Memory: 271 MB
> Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
> Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
> Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvapi.dll
> Driver Version: 7.15.0010.9746 (English)
> DDI Version: 9Ex

Lord Takyon

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> Memory: 2046MB RAM
>> Page File: 860MB used, 3465MB available
>> Windows Dir: C:\Windows
>> DirectX Version: DirectX 10
>> DX Setup Parameters: Not found
>> DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode
>>
>> ---------------
>> Display Devices
>> ---------------
>> Card name: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 110M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>> Manufacturer: NVIDIA
>> Chip type: Quadro NVS 110M
>> DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
>> Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_01C21028&REV_A1
>> Display Memory: 330 MB
>> Dedicated Memory: 58 MB
>> Shared Memory: 271 MB
>> Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
>> Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
>> Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvapi.dll
>> Driver Version: 7.15.0010.9746 (English)

I concur as all my scores, bar graphics, are very good, 4's and 5's all the
way. However, as I do not need huge graphical power it is not a problem for
me and performance is very good.

My score is 2.9 because of the graphics.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

beermatt1981@googlemail.com

Re: Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
I have been very interested reading these posts,

I've got a similar issue with my score - which is 1.8.

Had Vista since last week, quite impressed, runs quite well in spite
of odd programme wont close down, and the music in Media Centre breaks
up.

I am confused as to why my other scores are 2.5 - 5.0 while the RAM is
scoring 1.8 (which is what is giving me this base score).

I have

CPU: 1.8 GHZ
RAM: 1GB
HDD: 115GB
Graphics; 128MB

Only thing I can think of is the RAM speed that is causing this issue.
My PC tops out at 1GB so I can not add any more. Does anyone concur?

Thank you

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
Is this a PC or a laptop? If PC, which graphics adapter? If PC, how many
memory slots and which size memory is currently in each? I've heard of low
memory scores if the memory is mismatched. You can improve your graphics
score by upgrading your adapter, if it's a PC. If it's a laptop, you're
pretty much stuck with what you have...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

news:1180438219.968617.67780@k79g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...

On 29 May, 15:38, "Dana Cline - MVP" <dcl...@scriptpro.com> wrote:
> Is this a PC or a laptop? If PC, which graphics adapter? If PC, how many
> memory slots and which size memory is currently in each? I've heard of low
> memory scores if the memory is mismatched. You can improve your graphics
> score by upgrading your adapter, if it's a PC. If it's a laptop, you're
> pretty much stuck with what you have...

It is a PC, rather old actually Dell Optplex GX240, Came with 1GB RAM
installed, have so far upgraded graphics to 128mb (from 32mb!) and
hard disk, now running xp and Vista on Dual Boot. Perhaps some newwe
RAM would do the trick.

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Boosting Windows Experience Index Score
Definitely 2Gb helps - seems to make it run like a 1Gb XP machine did. Which
graphics card do you have?

news:1180460085.147966.103120@i13g2000prf.googlegr oups.com...
> On 29 May, 15:38, "Dana Cline - MVP" <dcl...@scriptpro.com> wrote:
>> Is this a PC or a laptop? If PC, which graphics adapter? If PC, how many
>> memory slots and which size memory is currently in each? I've heard of
>> low
>> memory scores if the memory is mismatched. You can improve your graphics
>> score by upgrading your adapter, if it's a PC. If it's a laptop, you're
>> pretty much stuck with what you have...
>>

> It is a PC, rather old actually Dell Optplex GX240, Came with 1GB RAM
> installed, have so far upgraded graphics to 128mb (from 32mb!) and
> hard disk, now running xp and Vista on Dual Boot. Perhaps some newwe
> RAM would do the trick.

Tosh

--
Tosh