VISTA TOO SLOW

Martin

VISTA TOO SLOW
Why is Vistta so slow at simple tasks, like copying 1 folder to another, I
have a high spec machine dual core 4GB ram, but I point at a Lan folder and
the circle appears 1minute later , i right click it again , circle appears
wait......... ahh! click copy... go to place where want paste it and again
circle appears round and round..... right click .... wait....... paste.

How crap !!! please sort it out. Whats the point making it slower and
worse than previous versions. I am going back to XP until you can sort out
simple task performance.

thanks

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: VISTA TOO SLOW
There are definitely known issues with copying, and at least one of them is
due to some "differential copy" flag being set somewhere...you might search
and see if you can find how to turn that off. There's also issues with
networking, especially wireless, and I don't think that's been fixed yet.

4Gb of RAM? If you're running 32-bits, that's too much - I don't think it
can use more than 3 and it may run slower with 4 than with 2 or 3. If
64-bits, then 4Gb is usable.

Did you load Vista yourself or buy a new PC with it? If the latter, chances
are your PC came with sufficient junkware to slow it _way_ down...uninstall
what you can, complain to the manufacturer about what remains.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news488D309-E1D6-4C30-A3C9-64DD071FBA2E@microsoft.com...
> Why is Vistta so slow at simple tasks, like copying 1 folder to another,
> have a high spec machine dual core 4GB ram, but I point at a Lan folder
> and
> the circle appears 1minute later , i right click it again , circle appears
> wait......... ahh! click copy... go to place where want paste it and
> again
> circle appears round and round..... right click .... wait.......
> paste.
>
> How crap !!! please sort it out. Whats the point making it slower and
> worse than previous versions. I am going back to XP until you can sort
> out
> simple task performance.
>
> thanks
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...ce_maintenance

I.P. Nichols

Re: VISTA TOO SLOW

"Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news488D309-E1D6-4C30-A3C9-64DD071FBA2E@microsoft.com...
> Why is Vistta so slow at simple tasks, like copying 1 folder to another,
> have a high spec machine dual core 4GB ram, but I point at a Lan folder
> and
> the circle appears 1minute later , i right click it again , circle appears
> wait......... ahh! click copy... go to place where want paste it and
> again
> circle appears round and round..... right click .... wait.......
> paste.
>
> How crap !!! please sort it out. Whats the point making it slower and
> worse than previous versions. I am going back to XP until you can sort
> out
> simple task performance.

Turn off Remote Differential Compression

Remote Differential Compression measures the changes in files over a network
to transfer them with minimal bandwidth rather than transferring an entire
file that has previously been moved. By constantly checking for file
changes, this service can hinder system performance.
To disable this service:

Open Control Panel
Switch to Classic View
Select Program Features
Choose Turn Windows features on and off
Scroll down and uncheck Remote Differential Compression