Refresh rate locked at 60 hz

Rubellan

Refresh rate locked at 60 hz
I just purchased a new gateway laptop with Vista, and I'm hating the
fact that Vista locks down the Refresh Rate to only 60 hz. I've tried
updating drivers for the ATI video card, and while the instructions of
the display device states it should allow for changes in the Refresh
Rate, there are none. Even the force options are not available. I've
read many things online that this is a Vista issue. The reason I need
this changed is because I work in a program that uses a scrolling
spectral view, and at the lower refresh rate it is very choppy and
blurry. I've read that LCD displays generally are defaulted to 60 hz,
but on XP laptops that can be changed. This is make or break, and my
expectation is I will return the laptop and drop the idea. Any
suggestions on how to resolve this will be appreciated.

Milhouse Van Houten

Re: Refresh rate locked at 60 hz
"Rubellan" <rubellan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1179842974.854307.70340@a26g2000pre.googlegro ups.com...
>I just purchased a new gateway laptop with Vista, and I'm hating the
> fact that Vista locks down the Refresh Rate to only 60 hz. I've tried
> updating drivers for the ATI video card, and while the instructions of
> the display device states it should allow for changes in the Refresh
> Rate, there are none. Even the force options are not available. I've
> read many things online that this is a Vista issue. The reason I need
> this changed is because I work in a program that uses a scrolling
> spectral view, and at the lower refresh rate it is very choppy and
> blurry. I've read that LCD displays generally are defaulted to 60 hz,
> but on XP laptops that can be changed. This is make or break, and my
> expectation is I will return the laptop and drop the idea. Any
> suggestions on how to resolve this will be appreciated.

I've never heard of an advantage to taking LCDs off 60Hz, but since I have
no idea what a "scrolling spectral view" is (sounds scary), I'll take your
word for it and suggest ATI Tray Tools
(http://www.guru3d.com/article/atitraytools/189) as a possible workaround.
If it can't do it, it probably can't be done.

Victek

Re: Refresh rate locked at 60 hz

"Rubellan" <rubellan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1179842974.854307.70340@a26g2000pre.googlegro ups.com...
>I just purchased a new gateway laptop with Vista, and I'm hating the
> fact that Vista locks down the Refresh Rate to only 60 hz. I've tried
> updating drivers for the ATI video card, and while the instructions of
> the display device states it should allow for changes in the Refresh
> Rate, there are none. Even the force options are not available. I've
> read many things online that this is a Vista issue. The reason I need
> this changed is because I work in a program that uses a scrolling
> spectral view, and at the lower refresh rate it is very choppy and
> blurry. I've read that LCD displays generally are defaulted to 60 hz,
> but on XP laptops that can be changed. This is make or break, and my
> expectation is I will return the laptop and drop the idea. Any
> suggestions on how to resolve this will be appreciated.

FWIW, the LCD panel I use with my desktop computer offers refresh rates of
60, 70, and 75. I use Vista Business. Are you finding the monitor
properties at "Display settings\advanced settings\monitor tab"? How is your
display identified?

Rob P UK

"Rubellan" wrote:

> I just purchased a new gateway laptop with Vista, and I'm hating the
> fact that Vista locks down the Refresh Rate to only 60 hz. I've tried
> updating drivers for the ATI video card, and while the instructions of
> the display device states it should allow for changes in the Refresh
> Rate, there are none. Even the force options are not available. I've
> read many things online that this is a Vista issue. The reason I need
> this changed is because I work in a program that uses a scrolling
> spectral view, and at the lower refresh rate it is very choppy and
> blurry. I've read that LCD displays generally are defaulted to 60 hz,
> but on XP laptops that can be changed. This is make or break, and my
> expectation is I will return the laptop and drop the idea. Any
> suggestions on how to resolve this will be appreciated.

it may be worth checking what response time your monitor has , the lower you
can get the better you screen updates will be, i used to have problems with
choppy video, but since upgrading to 2ms response time it has gone.
Christopher Syn

Re: Refresh rate locked at 60 hz
your laptop locks the refresh rate, not vista.