ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.

SevenPointOne

ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.
Using xp, I had read a tip to move the paging file to its own hard drive. I
bought a 10 gig drive but never got around to it. I am itchin to try but I
can not find any options with ReadyBoost or moving the page file. Am I
scratchin up a dead end or is something possible my minuscule brain cells
have not thought of.
Thanks in advance, tomorrow is another day to create!
--
7.1
Rock

Re: ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.
"SevenPointOne" wrote
> Using xp, I had read a tip to move the paging file to its own hard drive.
> bought a 10 gig drive but never got around to it. I am itchin to try but I
> can not find any options with ReadyBoost or moving the page file. Am I
> scratchin up a dead end or is something possible my minuscule brain cells
> have not thought of.
> Thanks in advance, tomorrow is another day to create!

ReadyBoost has nothing to do with the page file. To move the page file in
Vista is the same, essentially, as moving it in XP. Right click Computer |
Properties | Advanced System Settings in the left pane (elevate as needed) |
Advanced tab - Performance Settings | Advanced | Virtual Memory - Change.

Make sure to click Set when changing a setting, and make sure you leave some
minimal amount for the page file on the volume where Vista is installed.

You can also get there from Start | Help and Support. Search on virtual
memory or page file.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

AJR

Re: ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.
Note ",,,ReadyBoost has nothing to do with the page file..." not exactly
true since a ReadyBoost cache is created via Superfetch (Page File utility)
whether or not an exteranl ReadyBoost device is attached - however Rock is
correct - has no bearing on moving the file.

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "SevenPointOne" wrote
>> Using xp, I had read a tip to move the paging file to its own hard drive.
>> bought a 10 gig drive but never got around to it. I am itchin to try but
>> can not find any options with ReadyBoost or moving the page file. Am I
>> scratchin up a dead end or is something possible my minuscule brain cells
>> have not thought of.
>> Thanks in advance, tomorrow is another day to create!

> ReadyBoost has nothing to do with the page file. To move the page file in
> Vista is the same, essentially, as moving it in XP. Right click Computer
> | Properties | Advanced System Settings in the left pane (elevate as
> needed) | Advanced tab - Performance Settings | Advanced | Virtual
> Memory - Change.
>
> Make sure to click Set when changing a setting, and make sure you leave
> some minimal amount for the page file on the volume where Vista is
> installed.
>
> You can also get there from Start | Help and Support. Search on virtual
> memory or page file.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.
On Tue, 22 May 2007 01:08:01 -0700, SevenPointOne
<SevenPointOne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Using xp, I had read a tip to move the paging file to its own hard drive. I
>bought a 10 gig drive but never got around to it.

Did you buy an extra hard drive just for this purpose?

In my view that hardly ever makes sense. How much RAM do you have, and
how much paging do you do? If you have so little RAM that you are
paging significantly, you could probably have gotten better
performance than what you did by spending the money on more RAM,
rather than on a hard drive.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
SevenPointOne

Re: ReadyBoost/move page file to H.D.
Yup, I bought a hard drive just for this purpose. 10 gigs, it was just a few
bucks.
Just seemed so brilliant of simplicity. Raid in stripping mode kind of. So I
took it out and put in back in the XP with 2 raptors running in Raid 0. I do
not have a credible benchmark program so I brought in the ****er to play WOW
and C-strike and got 5 to 8 frames in WOW and 10 plus in CS give or take.
Then I want to remove some ram back to 1024 and see if it helps out more at
less ram. Then I just gotta swap it back and see what she will do in Vista
after I can tinker around some more with Vista
Thanks for your replies , they were warmly received and motivating
7.1
--
7.1