creating backup discs - problem

AVinNY

creating backup discs - problem
I am trying to create the backup discs using 720 mb CD-Rs. This pertains to
Windows Vista Business. When I try to create the discs I get a message
instructing me to insert a disc with over 1GB of memory into the DVD/CD-RW
drive. Why can I not create these discs using the standard CD-R size discs?
Why is there no discussion of this 1GB requirement in the help? I'm no
expert with computers, and if there is an easy explanation someone has for
this problem, I would greatly appreciate the help. Does anyone have a
solution?
AJR

Re: creating backup discs - problem
What backup program are you using? Specifically what are you backing up -
data, system?

Evidently your backup size (more than 600-720 megs) requires use of a DVD
which can hold, depending on disk type, 2.5 to 4 gigabytes. - big
difference.

Some backup,programs will do backups to multiple removeable media
(CD|.DVD) - some do not and require a HD.

"AVinNY" <AVinNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to create the backup discs using 720 mb CD-Rs. This pertains
> Windows Vista Business. When I try to create the discs I get a message
> instructing me to insert a disc with over 1GB of memory into the DVD/CD-RW
> drive. Why can I not create these discs using the standard CD-R size
> discs?
> Why is there no discussion of this 1GB requirement in the help? I'm no
> expert with computers, and if there is an easy explanation someone has for
> this problem, I would greatly appreciate the help. Does anyone have a
> solution?

David A. Lessnau

Re: creating backup discs - problem
From your wording, I'm guessing you've got a new computer that prompts you
to make backup disks of the SYSTEM just after you got it set up (as opposed
to your just backing up some files). If so, there are probably a couple of
reasons for the requirement to use discs with a capacity greater than 1GB
(i.e., DVD discs instead of CDs). First, I believe Vista, itself, requires
a DVD drive. The image won't fit on a CD. Second, since that backup is
backing up all your applications as well, it would take a LOT of CDs. As it
is, it'll probably take a couple of DVDs to do the job.