backup internal error?

987654321

backup internal error?
I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
solve it?

I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.
Joan

RE: backup internal error?
I am not enjoying my "vista" experience at all. I get error code 0x80070070
when trying to back up my files. It then tells me I don't have enough room
to complete a back up. I need help soon or I'm going to trash this computer
and go back to my old one.

"987654321" wrote:

> I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
> solve it?
>
> I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

denb45

RE: backup internal error?
Here's how I got Vista's Ultimate Complete PC Backup & Restore to work:

1. Turned on System Restore (I had this disabled)
2. Created a Restore Point
3. Re-booted my Notebook
4. Went to Complete PC Backup & Restore (No more error messeage)
5. Plugged-in my External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
6. Backup offered DVD or E: External Drive (I chose the E:
7. It backed-up to my External
8. Re-booted using Vista Ultimate's DVD & Chose "Repair"
9. Found my External, clicked on repair
10.It worked ,took about 15 Minutes to Restore my Notebook

after the Complete PC Restore it Rebooted and it was done!!
This Really does work in Vista Ultimate!!! but you MUST have the SYSTEM
RESTORE ENABLED, and HAVE AT LEAST A ONE RESTORE POINT CREATED (if NOT this
feature will not work) and you will always get this error messeage (0x8008005)
these features are suppose to be on for a reason, and when you disabled
them, thing WON'T work correctly.............................. Hope this
helps others?

"987654321" wrote:

> I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
> solve it?
>
> I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

Joan

RE: backup internal error?
I've been getting similar error codes so I called the shop where I purchased
the computer. They tell me that not enough space has been allowed for the
backup and that with Vista it can't be changed. Backups will have to be done
to discs. Hope that helps - my frustration levels were very high!
Joan

"987654321" wrote:

> I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
> solve it?
>
> I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

denb45

RE: backup internal error?
You might want to try and defragment your Hardrive, also, you may need to
DELETE all but the lastest Restore Points, and CLEAN UP your Prefetch folder
in Windows, to free up some Hard drive space, I'm suprized that the place you
bought your system form didn't tell you, that you NEED to do this at least
once a week to FREE UP your hard drive...............Try them, and you might
notice a Big Difference!!! I did this simple one thing (enabled System
Restore, Made a Restore Point) and I didn't get that annoying error messeage
anymore!!!! Complete PC backup WORKED FOR ME

"Joan" wrote:

> I've been getting similar error codes so I called the shop where I purchased
> the computer. They tell me that not enough space has been allowed for the
> backup and that with Vista it can't be changed. Backups will have to be done
> to discs. Hope that helps - my frustration levels were very high!
> Joan
>
> "987654321" wrote:
>
> > I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> > done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
> > solve it?
> >
> > I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

denb45

RE: backup internal error?
You may also want to go out and buy an Exertnal USB 2.0 Hard Drive, as this
works well, and it's better than using 4 or 5 DVD's to do a complete PC
Backup, that's how I do this, and it WORKS!!!

"Joan" wrote:

> I've been getting similar error codes so I called the shop where I purchased
> the computer. They tell me that not enough space has been allowed for the
> backup and that with Vista it can't be changed. Backups will have to be done
> to discs. Hope that helps - my frustration levels were very high!
> Joan
>
> "987654321" wrote:
>
> > I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> > done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How can I
> > solve it?
> >
> > I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: backup internal error?
I have not seen either of these error codes reported in newsgroups. If you
can send me the following information, I can investigate this
further.

1. A description of the problem, including the exact error message and error
code (a screenshot will work)
2. A screenshot of your Disk Management screen showing disks and volumes.
3. Contents of %windir%\logs\windowsbackup\
4. Generate a log file using the instructions below and email it to me:

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Asr,
create a new key called LogFileSetting

Under LogFileSetting, create a new DWORD value called EnableLogging.
Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter 00000001 (hexadecimal)
or 1 (decimal)

Under LogFileSetting, create a new String value called LogPathName.
Right-click that value, click Modify, and then enter C:\asr.log.

Next, reproduce the error. You should have a file called asr.log under c:\.
You can delete the registry key when you are done.

Use my email address, minus "online."

"987654321" <987654321@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to backup my files using Vista's backup tool, but when it's almost
> done, I always got an internal error. The error code is 0x81000004. How
> can I
> solve it?
>
> I'm using file backup, not complete pc backup.

cribble

RE: backup internal error?
45,
Thanks for the info. It didn't help my (similar, but not identical) problem
with backup and restore. UAC is off, I am the administrator and the only
account.
O/s: Vista Ultimate
Media: 1x80Gig HD (23Gig free) with the O/S and applications, some data
files, and 1x230 Gig HD (80 Gigfree) for data.

After attempting your fix i got " backup failed error 0x8007005" when I
attempted a backup to the larger HD. Do I need a dedicated partition on that
(bigger) drive?
Any suggestions appreciated. (Having read the fix for the (failed) drive
encryption, and the litany of problems in this forum, I am becoming more
convinced that this O/S is a fascist dog)
Cheers