Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

swattig

Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is my
second issue.

Rick Rogers

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
Hi,

Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
> utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
> my
> second issue.

swattig

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e" but
no luck.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
> tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
> > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
> > my
> > second issue.

Engel

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
Hello Rick.

Check your hard disk for errors

You can help solve some computer problems and improve the performance of
your computer by making sure that your hard disk has no errors.

Click to open Computer.

Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click
Properties.

Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If
you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the
password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan
detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk
check will simply report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of
bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the
hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically
fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Click Start.

Depending upon the size of your hard disk, this may take several minutes.
For best results, don't use your computer for any other tasks while it's
checking for errors.

Note
If you select Automatically fix file system errors for a disk that is in use
(for example, the partition that contains Windows), you'll be prompted you to
reschedule the disk check for the next time you restart your computer.

Good luck
--

"swattig" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e" but
> no luck.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the tools
> > tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the chkdsk
> > > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this is
> > > my
> > > second issue.

Rick Rogers

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility
Windows Key+E is the simplest way. Type it into the start/search prompt for
another.

--

> Thanks for the reply. Where do I find Windows Explorer? I tried the "e"
> but
> no luck.
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. On the
>> tools
>> tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an alert that says that I have a corrupt file and to run the
>> >chkdsk
>> > utility. How? When? I've been using Vista since released and this
>> > is
>> > my
>> > second issue.

Eddie

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

I had the same problem. The message kept telling me to do a chkdsk, but
It would not work.
I was told to do a reinstall with the Vista OS CD, but one of the
options on the way to the reinstall was to do a Vista Upgrade which I
did.

It goes through a fairly long process on its own for about an hour.
Then it states that their are corrupt files, so I clicked OK on all of
them and let it proceed.

All of the sudden it did it's own chkdsk and cleaned all the corrupt
files. No files were lost and I am back to normal.

I believe this all was caused when I did a hard crash because I left
the computer on while it was using the batteries(I went to cut the
grass). The battery ran out and hard crashed the computer.

--
Eddie
wassx057

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

Hi,

I also do not know much about computers.

When I try to run the check for the C drive it says it can't because
the C drive is running. So it tells me it can do it when it restarts
and it doesn't. I am completly lost, can anyknow please reply back
about this?

Thank you.

--
wassx057
#1Stud

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

The windows explorer on my computer keeps coming up blank. i can't
access the files directly the only way is by using nero. Can anyone
help??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

--
#1Stud
Brink

#1Stud;591400 Wrote:
> The windows explorer on my computer keeps coming up blank. i can't
> access the files directly the only way is by using nero. Can anyone
> help??? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry:

You might see if using one of these methods will allow you to run Check
Disk or chkdsk at startup.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-checkdisk.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
RamonetB

Re: Corrupt files - chkdsk utility

You could also try running sfc /scannow at the command prompt.

- Find your command prompt in the start menu, usually under
Accessories.
- Right click it and select "Run as Administrator."
- At the command prompt type:sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it do its job.

Hope that helps!

-kirk

--
RamonetB

Once, I thought I was wrong. I was mistaken...