3D icon

swattig

3D icon
I lost the two icons in the taskbas for Vista - the 3D flip and desktop.
Antone know how to restore them? Also the volume icon is missing on the
quick launch... and I cannot get it to display. Help!
DP

Re: 3D icon
Right-click the taskbar, go to Toolbars and make sure Quicklaunch is
checked.
Let us know if that works or not.

The volume icon usually is in the system tray, not Quicklaunch.

"swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I lost the two icons in the taskbas for Vista - the 3D flip and desktop.
> Antone know how to restore them? Also the volume icon is missing on the
> quick launch... and I cannot get it to display. Help!

swattig

Re: 3D icon
I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop icons.
They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They disappeared.

"DP" wrote:

> Right-click the taskbar, go to Toolbars and make sure Quicklaunch is
> checked.
> Let us know if that works or not.
>
> The volume icon usually is in the system tray, not Quicklaunch.
>

> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I lost the two icons in the taskbas for Vista - the 3D flip and desktop.
> > Antone know how to restore them? Also the volume icon is missing on the
> > quick launch... and I cannot get it to display. Help!

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: 3D icon
Swattig

You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch

In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
shortcut.

Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are logged
on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.

Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop
>icons.
> They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They
> disappeared.

> "DP" wrote:
>
>> Right-click the taskbar, go to Toolbars and make sure Quicklaunch is
>> checked.
>> Let us know if that works or not.
>>
>> The volume icon usually is in the system tray, not Quicklaunch.
>>

>> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I lost the two icons in the taskbas for Vista - the 3D flip and desktop.
>> > Antone know how to restore them? Also the volume icon is missing on
>> > the
>> > quick launch... and I cannot get it to display. Help!

Peter in France

Re: 3D icon
I too have lost my Quick Launch icons but when I looked in the place you
suggest that too was empty. Can you advise how to restore them. I suspect
that Bug Doctor was reponsible for deleting them all.

Thanks,

Peter

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Swattig
>
> You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
> windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.
>
> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>
> C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch
>
> In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
> shortcut.
>
> Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
> Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are logged
> on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.
>
> Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop
> >icons.
> > They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They
> > disappeared.

> > "DP" wrote:
> >
> >> Right-click the taskbar, go to Toolbars and make sure Quicklaunch is
> >> checked.
> >> Let us know if that works or not.
> >>
> >> The volume icon usually is in the system tray, not Quicklaunch.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: 3D icon
Peter

Sorry for the late reply.

You can manually recreate the Show Desktop and Flip 3D icons. Here are the
steps.

For Show Desktop:

1. Open Notepad and Copy / Paste the text between the 2 lines in Notepad.
(Don't copy the lines)

--------------------------------------

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=shell32.dll,34
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

--------------------------------------

2. Save the file as Show Desktop.scf to the Desktop.

You can then move or copy the resulting Show Desktop icon to the location of
your choice.

For Flip 3D.

1. Right click the desktop and select New / Shortcut.

2. Copy and paste the following in the Location Box and then click Next.

RunDll32 DwmApi #105

3. Enter the name Flip 3D and click Finish.

4. Right click the new shortcut and select Properties / Change Icon. Click
the Browse button and navigate to C:\Windows. Click the Explorer.exe file
and select Open. The icon is in the 3rd row, 5th icon. Select the icon and
click OK. Click Apply / OK and your done.

You can copy or move the to the location of your choice.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Peter in France" <Peter in France@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9A362380-619B-412B-8F69-687B8A50486A@microsoft.com...
>I too have lost my Quick Launch icons but when I looked in the place you
> suggest that too was empty. Can you advise how to restore them. I suspect
> that Bug Doctor was reponsible for deleting them all.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Swattig
>>
>> You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
>> windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>>
>> C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch
>>
>> In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
>> shortcut.
>>
>> Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
>> Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are
>> logged
>> on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.
>>
>> Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop
>> >icons.
>> > They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They
>> > disappeared.

Jinxy

Re: 3D icon
I have had trouble with this also and thank you so very much for the info for
it works now both short cut buttons, thankyou again, Jinx

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Swattig
>
> You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
> windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.
>
> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>
> C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch
>
> In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
> shortcut.
>
> Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
> Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are logged
> on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.
>
> Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop
> >icons.
> > They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They
> > disappeared.

> > "DP" wrote:
> >
> >> Right-click the taskbar, go to Toolbars and make sure Quicklaunch is
> >> checked.
> >> Let us know if that works or not.
> >>
> >> The volume icon usually is in the system tray, not Quicklaunch.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: 3D icon
Jinxy

Your welcome, glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Jinxy" <Jinxy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had trouble with this also and thank you so very much for the info
>for
> it works now both short cut buttons, thankyou again, Jinx
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Swattig
>>
>> You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
>> windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>>
>> C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch
>>
>> In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
>> shortcut.
>>
>> Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
>> Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are
>> logged
>> on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.
>>
>> Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "swattig" <swattig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have tried this. I did get the volume back but not the 3D or Desktop
>> >icons.
>> > They are not anywhere to find to drag to the quick launch. They
>> > disappeared.

PaulS1127

Re: 3D icon
Is it important to have " C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t
Explorer\Quick Launch" in VISTA? I have tried to search for mine and could
not find it. I did the manual install according to the directions and I
created a Windows 98/XP Icon. Not the VISTA looking Icon. Will this suffice?
How can I create the VISTA Icon? Thanks for your input and help.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Jinxy
>
> Your welcome, glad this helped.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Jinxy" <Jinxy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have had trouble with this also and thank you so very much for the info
> >for
> > it works now both short cut buttons, thankyou again, Jinx
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Swattig
> >>
> >> You will find a duplicate of both the "Show Desktop" and "Switch between
> >> windows" shortcuts in the Default User, Quick Launch folder.
> >>
> >> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
> >>
> >> C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer\Quick Launch
> >>
> >> In the Quick Launch folder, right click and Copy the "Show Desktop"
> >> shortcut.
> >>
> >> Next, open the C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et
> >> Explorer\Quick Launch folder. (Where "username" is the name you are
> >> logged
> >> on with and right click / Paste the shortcut there.
> >>
> >> Repeat the same steps for the "Switch between windows" shortcut.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: 3D icon
Paul

Sorry for the late reply.

An easier solution would be to just drag a copy of that Quick Launch folder
from your user folder

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et Explorer\Quick Launch

to the

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Interne t Explorer folder

After you copy the folder to that location, you can open the folder there
and delete all of the shortcuts that you placed in that folder. This will
give a fresh copy of that folder in the new location.

The C:\Users\Default folder is used to configure any new users you add to
the system. Any new user will have the same folders/files that are in the
default user folder.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP