DNS Problem

To Old To . . .

DNS Problem
I have an issue that I believe is a Vista DNS problem but not sure how to fix.

cannot ping localhost or netbios name, server not found
can ping 127.0.0.1 and 4.2.2.2

I have two vista machine, one works , one doesn't
compared both with the following commands.

net config server
net config workstation
hosts file the same

No firewall or other software installed other than Vista

return the same results on both

replaced winsock and tcp/ip, no change

compared services, both are identical

any ideas?

Tim

Re: DNS Problem
I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be a bad NIC. Have
you tried replacing it? It's a quick and inexpensive thing to try, at the
very least.

Tim

"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an issue that I believe is a Vista DNS problem but not sure how to
>fix.
>
> cannot ping localhost or netbios name, server not found
> can ping 127.0.0.1 and 4.2.2.2
>
> I have two vista machine, one works , one doesn't
> compared both with the following commands.
>
> net config server
> net config workstation
> hosts file the same
>
> No firewall or other software installed other than Vista
>
> return the same results on both
>
> replaced winsock and tcp/ip, no change
>
> compared services, both are identical
>
> any ideas?

To Old To . . .

Re: DNS Problem
yes, I have tried with 2 new ones. 3com and realtek. Same problem

"Tim" wrote:

> I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be a bad NIC. Have
> you tried replacing it? It's a quick and inexpensive thing to try, at the
> very least.
>
> Tim
>
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an issue that I believe is a Vista DNS problem but not sure how to
> >fix.
> >
> > cannot ping localhost or netbios name, server not found
> > can ping 127.0.0.1 and 4.2.2.2
> >
> > I have two vista machine, one works , one doesn't
> > compared both with the following commands.
> >
> > net config server
> > net config workstation
> > hosts file the same
> >
> > No firewall or other software installed other than Vista
> >
> > return the same results on both
> >
> > replaced winsock and tcp/ip, no change
> >
> > compared services, both are identical
> >
> > any ideas?

Tim

Re: DNS Problem
Bummer...

Not a bad patch cable or a bad port on the switch/hub/router either? If it's
a managed switch, how about the port settings?

The only other thing I have used successfully is to re-set the TCP/IP stack
(right now I don't remember the exact syntax...it's written down somewhere).
But I'm guessing you have already done that (assuming that is what you meant
by replacing winsock). After that, I take the "easy" way out and just
re-install the OS. But I'm going to monitor this thread as I'm sure someone
will have a more elegant solution...and I will want to learn what that is.

newsC65F48C-F1E2-405A-995A-BBC6B192E7DF@microsoft.com...
> yes, I have tried with 2 new ones. 3com and realtek. Same problem
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be a bad NIC. Have
>> you tried replacing it? It's a quick and inexpensive thing to try, at the
>> very least.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an issue that I believe is a Vista DNS problem but not sure how
>> >fix.
>> >
>> > cannot ping localhost or netbios name, server not found
>> > can ping 127.0.0.1 and 4.2.2.2
>> >
>> > I have two vista machine, one works , one doesn't
>> > compared both with the following commands.
>> >
>> > net config server
>> > net config workstation
>> > hosts file the same
>> >
>> > No firewall or other software installed other than Vista
>> >
>> > return the same results on both
>> >
>> > replaced winsock and tcp/ip, no change
>> >
>> > compared services, both are identical
>> >
>> > any ideas?

To Old To . . .

Re: DNS Problem
Well, ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost, you do not need to even have your nic
connected.
This is a Vista DNS client issue on the computer, Not a DNS from a server.
For some reason there is a binding issue, that I can't seem to fix or find.

"Tim" wrote:

> Bummer...
>
> Not a bad patch cable or a bad port on the switch/hub/router either? If it's
> a managed switch, how about the port settings?
>
> The only other thing I have used successfully is to re-set the TCP/IP stack
> (right now I don't remember the exact syntax...it's written down somewhere).
> But I'm guessing you have already done that (assuming that is what you meant
> by replacing winsock). After that, I take the "easy" way out and just
> re-install the OS. But I'm going to monitor this thread as I'm sure someone
> will have a more elegant solution...and I will want to learn what that is.
>
> Tim
>
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsC65F48C-F1E2-405A-995A-BBC6B192E7DF@microsoft.com...
> > yes, I have tried with 2 new ones. 3com and realtek. Same problem
> >
> > "Tim" wrote:
> >
> >> I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be a bad NIC. Have
> >> you tried replacing it? It's a quick and inexpensive thing to try, at the
> >> very least.
> >>
> >> Tim

PTravel

Re: DNS Problem
Have you tried removing third-party programs from the context menu?

I have no idea why these would effect DNS but, in my experience and
according to a lot of reports I've read on the internet, they do.

> Well, ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost, you do not need to even have your nic
> connected.
> This is a Vista DNS client issue on the computer, Not a DNS from a server.
> For some reason there is a binding issue, that I can't seem to fix or
> find.
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> Bummer...
>>
>> Not a bad patch cable or a bad port on the switch/hub/router either? If
>> it's
>> a managed switch, how about the port settings?
>>
>> The only other thing I have used successfully is to re-set the TCP/IP
>> stack
>> (right now I don't remember the exact syntax...it's written down
>> somewhere).
>> But I'm guessing you have already done that (assuming that is what you
>> meant
>> by replacing winsock). After that, I take the "easy" way out and just
>> re-install the OS. But I'm going to monitor this thread as I'm sure
>> someone
>> will have a more elegant solution...and I will want to learn what that
>> is.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsC65F48C-F1E2-405A-995A-BBC6B192E7DF@microsoft.com...
>> > yes, I have tried with 2 new ones. 3com and realtek. Same problem

Tim

Re: DNS Problem
You're right...sorry to have bothered you.

"To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well, ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost, you do not need to even have your nic
> connected.
> This is a Vista DNS client issue on the computer, Not a DNS from a server.
> For some reason there is a binding issue, that I can't seem to fix or
> find.
>
> "Tim" wrote:
>
>> Bummer...
>>
>> Not a bad patch cable or a bad port on the switch/hub/router either? If
>> it's
>> a managed switch, how about the port settings?
>>
>> The only other thing I have used successfully is to re-set the TCP/IP
>> stack
>> (right now I don't remember the exact syntax...it's written down
>> somewhere).
>> But I'm guessing you have already done that (assuming that is what you
>> meant
>> by replacing winsock). After that, I take the "easy" way out and just
>> re-install the OS. But I'm going to monitor this thread as I'm sure
>> someone
>> will have a more elegant solution...and I will want to learn what that
>> is.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsC65F48C-F1E2-405A-995A-BBC6B192E7DF@microsoft.com...
>> > yes, I have tried with 2 new ones. 3com and realtek. Same problem

To Old To . . .

Re: DNS Problem
Yes I have. I seen a post to this, but didn't think it would help, as it
turns out it doesn't. With what tools are avaliable for testing, it appears
that everything is as it should be, however some where the DNS Client is
misconfigured and on Vista, I don't know how to fix it. I called MSFT and
they had no answers? Odd?

"PTravel" wrote:

> Have you tried removing third-party programs from the context menu?
>
> I have no idea why these would effect DNS but, in my experience and
> according to a lot of reports I've read on the internet, they do.
>
> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, ping 127.0.0.1 or localhost, you do not need to even have your nic
> > connected.
> > This is a Vista DNS client issue on the computer, Not a DNS from a server.
> > For some reason there is a binding issue, that I can't seem to fix or
> > find.
> >
> > "Tim" wrote:
> >
> >> Bummer...
> >>
> >> Not a bad patch cable or a bad port on the switch/hub/router either? If
> >> it's
> >> a managed switch, how about the port settings?
> >>
> >> The only other thing I have used successfully is to re-set the TCP/IP
> >> stack
> >> (right now I don't remember the exact syntax...it's written down
> >> somewhere).
> >> But I'm guessing you have already done that (assuming that is what you
> >> meant
> >> by replacing winsock). After that, I take the "easy" way out and just
> >> re-install the OS. But I'm going to monitor this thread as I'm sure
> >> someone
> >> will have a more elegant solution...and I will want to learn what that
> >> is.
> >>
> >> Tim
> >>
> >> "To Old To . . ." <ToOldTo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> newsC65F48C-F1E2-405A-995A-BBC6B192E7DF@microsoft.com...

To Old To . . .

Re: DNS Problem
With this problem, any suggestion is welcome.