STARTUP TOPIC AGAIN

VISTA CONVERT

STARTUP TOPIC AGAIN
I know that the last thing people want to see is another startup question.
But I am currently not having any problems with my computer. What I am
trying to do is to reduce the number of programs that startup when I boot my
computer. I am running Vist HPrem and was wondering where I could find a
list of the essential startup applications.

If you know and respond thank you for your help.

dean-dean

Re: STARTUP TOPIC AGAIN
A basic rule of thumb is to allow startup files that are a functions of
device drivers, and allow files that come as a part of Windows. Third party
(non-driver) programs should be examined. Some of the programs that "need"
to run at startup have reasons that are just plain goofy; but you may want
to know exactly why the program has a file as a startup item. It might be
helpful to post a question about a specific startup file, and the specific
company it's from. That way users with experience with that particular file
on their own computers can help you decide. Google it. Opinions will vary.

"VISTA CONVERT" <VISTA CONVERT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know that the last thing people want to see is another startup question.
> But I am currently not having any problems with my computer. What I am
> trying to do is to reduce the number of programs that startup when I boot
> my
> computer. I am running Vist HPrem and was wondering where I could find a
> list of the essential startup applications.
>
> If you know and respond thank you for your help.

Malke

Re: STARTUP TOPIC AGAIN
VISTA CONVERT wrote:
> I know that the last thing people want to see is another startup question.
> But I am currently not having any problems with my computer. What I am
> trying to do is to reduce the number of programs that startup when I boot my
> computer. I am running Vist HPrem and was wondering where I could find a
> list of the essential startup applications.
>
> If you know and respond thank you for your help.

There's nothing wrong with "another startup question". You should ask
the questions for which you want to know the answers! Unfortunately,
there is no one list because each computer is different. For instance,
on my Vista desktop it is essential that the antivirus start with
Windows but I have very little else. Yes, Defender runs although in my
case it isn't really essential. For a laptop, the list will be very
different. I connect through a local area network to a cable Internet
connection so nothing needs to start up there. For someone with DSL or
dialup, that need would be different. Again, because I don't have an OEM
install (HP, Toshiba, etc.) I don't have any OEM junk that came
preinstalled, no bluetooth, no instant messengers. For you, this might
be different.

Finding out what is essential to your specific computer (and to your
desires for how you want to do your work) is up to you. You need to run
msconfig and take a look at the programs that are starting and then
Google them if you don't know what they are. Then you can decide if you
need or want to have them start with Windows. It is always better to
stop the programs from starting with Windows from within the programs'
preferences as opposed to using msconfig first.

Now, you asked about *applications* and that's how I approached your
answer. If you want to know about *processes*, that's a bit of another
story. Basically, you don't really need to play with the processes much
but Black Viper (of XP services fame) has compiled a list of Vista
services here:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Please do follow his instructions *not* to disable services by using
msconfig; it isn't safe to do this on Vista (or XP).

Bottom line, if you want Vista to be fast you need a fast processor and
a minimum of 1GB of RAM (2GB is better). I have Vista on an older Dell
400SC with an Intel P4 2.8GHz with 1.5GB of RAM and I don't think it's a
speed demon. SUSE Linux was definitely faster on it.

Even though I couldn't give you a link to the One True List, I hope this
helped a bit.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Conor

Re: STARTUP TOPIC AGAIN
In article <B76880F9-8766-43E2-A9F4-983DBCAC5476@microsoft.com>,
says...
> I know that the last thing people want to see is another startup question.
> But I am currently not having any problems with my computer. What I am
> trying to do is to reduce the number of programs that startup when I boot my
> computer. I am running Vist HPrem and was wondering where I could find a
> list of the essential startup applications.
>
> If you know and respond thank you for your help.

www.windowsstartup.com and download Startup Inspector. Click on each
entry it shows and google the file name it runs and you'll find sites
that'll tell you what it does and whether its OK to disable or not.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........