BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM

Fritz

BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Hi
As I can see on the vista community discussing groups site “Win-Vista” has A
big sleeping problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution for my brand new PC.

My OS is Vista Business 32 bits.
If I try to put my PC Desktop to sleep either automatically or manually it
shuts down sort of but I’m still able to hear the fan in the so called sleep
mode. Now when I try to waken it up that’s when I have the problem. It won’t
respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. My only choice left is the power
button. When I press the start or power button it shuts down completely. I
have to press the start button again and it starts with“black screen white
writing” with choices: start windows in normal mode, safe mode, and some
other modes. Has anybody any idea in solving this problem? Regards Fritz

Kerry Brown

Re: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
"Fritz" <Fritz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> As I can see on the vista community discussing groups site “Win-Vista” has
> big sleeping problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution for my brand new
> PC.
>
> My OS is Vista Business 32 bits.
> If I try to put my PC Desktop to sleep either automatically or manually it
> shuts down sort of but I’m still able to hear the fan in the so called
> sleep
> mode. Now when I try to waken it up that’s when I have the problem. It won’t
> respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. My only choice left is the
> power
> button. When I press the start or power button it shuts down completely. I
> have to press the start button again and it starts with“black screen white
> writing” with choices: start windows in normal mode, safe mode, and some
> other modes. Has anybody any idea in solving this problem? Regards Fritz

In the Start Search box type Event Viewer and press the Enter key. At the
UAC prompt click on Continue. Expand Applications and Services Log. Expand
Microsoft. Expand Windows. Expand Diagnostics-Performance. Click on
Operational. Event ID's in the 300-399 range are standby events. Look for
errors then look in the details to see what may be causing the problem. It's
likely a driver issue.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Efrain Morales

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Fritz:
Please tell me if you are using an external hard drive Thanks,
Efrain

"Fritz" wrote:

> Hi
> As I can see on the vista community discussing groups site “Win-Vista” has A
> big sleeping problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution for my brand new PC.
>
> My OS is Vista Business 32 bits.
> If I try to put my PC Desktop to sleep either automatically or manually it
> shuts down sort of but I’m still able to hear the fan in the so called sleep
> mode. Now when I try to waken it up that’s when I have the problem. It won’t
> respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. My only choice left is the power
> button. When I press the start or power button it shuts down completely. I
> have to press the start button again and it starts with“black screen white
> writing” with choices: start windows in normal mode, safe mode, and some
> other modes. Has anybody any idea in solving this problem? Regards Fritz

Fritz

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Efrain: Yes I'm using a external hard drive but it's turned off when i want
to send the pc to sleep. Fritz

"Efrain Morales" wrote:

> Fritz:
> Please tell me if you are using an external hard drive Thanks,
> Efrain
>
> "Fritz" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > As I can see on the vista community discussing groups site “Win-Vista” has A
> > big sleeping problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution for my brand new PC.
> >
> > My OS is Vista Business 32 bits.
> > If I try to put my PC Desktop to sleep either automatically or manually it
> > shuts down sort of but I’m still able to hear the fan in the so called sleep
> > mode. Now when I try to waken it up that’s when I have the problem. It won’t
> > respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. My only choice left is the power
> > button. When I press the start or power button it shuts down completely. I
> > have to press the start button again and it starts with“black screen white
> > writing” with choices: start windows in normal mode, safe mode, and some
> > other modes. Has anybody any idea in solving this problem? Regards Fritz

Efrain Morales

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Fritz:
Please check your options in the Control Panel > Power Options and the
"Power button and sleep". Start by resetting your actual power plan and then
selecting the options you like.
Going back to your external hard disk (HD):
1. Do you disconnect it using the Safety Remove Hardware icon in the task
bar, or you just pull off the plug?
2. Is the HD connection being used USB or firewire?

Thanks

Efra*n

"Fritz" wrote:

> Efrain: Yes I'm using a external hard drive but it's turned off when i want
> to send the pc to sleep. Fritz
>
> "Efrain Morales" wrote:
>
> > Fritz:
> > Please tell me if you are using an external hard drive Thanks,
> > Efrain
> >
> > "Fritz" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > As I can see on the vista community discussing groups site “Win-Vista” has A
> > > big sleeping problem but I wasn’t able to find a solution for my brand new PC.
> > >
> > > My OS is Vista Business 32 bits.
> > > If I try to put my PC Desktop to sleep either automatically or manually it
> > > shuts down sort of but I’m still able to hear the fan in the so called sleep
> > > mode. Now when I try to waken it up that’s when I have the problem. It won’t
> > > respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. My only choice left is the power
> > > button. When I press the start or power button it shuts down completely. I
> > > have to press the start button again and it starts with“black screen white
> > > writing” with choices: start windows in normal mode, safe mode, and some
> > > other modes. Has anybody any idea in solving this problem? Regards Fritz

Fritz

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Efra*n:

The external HD uses a USB connection.
regards Fritz

"Efrain Morales" wrote:

> Fritz:
> Please check your options in the Control Panel > Power Options and the
> "Power button and sleep". Start by resetting your actual power plan and then
> selecting the options you like.
> Going back to your external hard disk (HD):
> 1. Do you disconnect it using the Safety Remove Hardware icon in the task
> bar, or you just pull off the plug?
> 2. Is the HD connection being used USB or firewire?
>
> Thanks
>
> Efra*n
>
> "Fritz" wrote:
>
> > Efrain: Yes I'm using a external hard drive but it's turned off when i want
> > to send the pc to sleep. Fritz
> >
> > "Efrain Morales" wrote:
> >
> > > Fritz:
> > > Please tell me if you are using an external hard drive Thanks,
> > > Efrain

Efraín Morales

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
Fritz:
Since the first day Vista Ultimate came out, I have had the black screen
problen showing the start options, the same display you mention on your post.
Calls to Microsoft and Dell were useless. Last few days I decided to work on
the problem.
I found what was causing the problem and will report it to Dell, so they
close the case 163952913.
I have a Maxtor OneTouch II external hard drive. It can be connected with
USB or Firewire. When connected with USB, I will always have to restart 2
times and have the DOS display. When connected with Firewire, all works
normal and all startup are perfect. The above solution have been tested and
documented 11 times. When connecting to Vista Ultimate an external Maxtor OT
II with dual connection options, always use the firewire.
Efra*n

"Fritz" wrote:

> Efra*n:
>
> The external HD uses a USB connection.
> regards Fritz
>
> "Efrain Morales" wrote:
>
> > Fritz:
> > Please check your options in the Control Panel > Power Options and the
> > "Power button and sleep". Start by resetting your actual power plan and then
> > selecting the options you like.
> > Going back to your external hard disk (HD):
> > 1. Do you disconnect it using the Safety Remove Hardware icon in the task
> > bar, or you just pull off the plug?
> > 2. Is the HD connection being used USB or firewire?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Efra*n
> >
> > "Fritz" wrote:
> >
> > > Efrain: Yes I'm using a external hard drive but it's turned off when i want
> > > to send the pc to sleep. Fritz

Aliem J.

RE: BIG SLEEP MODE PROBLEM
But Could it be a USB problem in general ? I didn't start getting this
problem until i connected my usb wi-fi dongle.