Graphics/Aero

Usman

Graphics/Aero
I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows look
"basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics without
buying a new graphic card?
Cal Bear '66

Re: Graphics/Aero
What graphics card do you have now?

"Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows look
> "basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics without
> buying a new graphic card?

Usman

Re: Graphics/Aero
Haha, i'm not sure. How can i check?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> What graphics card do you have now?
>

> "Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows look
> > "basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics without
> > buying a new graphic card?

Julian

Re: Graphics/Aero
"Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows look
> "basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics without
> buying a new graphic card?

What are your "scores?"

ie. Control Panel > Performance Information & Tools > Graphics

Usman

Re: Graphics/Aero
for graphics i got a 1.0/ Pathetic I know, haha. Just wondering if there's an
easy way to improve this. Cuz as vista apperas right now, it looks kind of
basic.

> for graphics i got a 1.0/ Pathetic I know, haha. Just wondering if there's
> an
> easy way to improve this. Cuz as vista apperas right now, it looks kind
> of
> basic.

Ouch!
Very unlikely you can improve that sufficiently.
First things first... your graphics card.

Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > ???

What does it tell you?

> "Julian" wrote:
>
>> "Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows
>> >look
>> > "basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics
>> > without
>> > buying a new graphic card?

>> What are your "scores?"
>>
>> ie. Control Panel > Performance Information & Tools > Graphics

Cal Bear '66

Re: Graphics/Aero
Control Panel > Device Manager
Click on Plus sign next to Display adapters
What does it say?

> Haha, i'm not sure. How can i check?
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> What graphics card do you have now?
>>

>> "Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just installed Vista Home Premium on my computer. The windows look
>> > "basic". Is there any way for me to improve my machines graphics without
>> > buying a new graphic card?

Usman

Re: Graphics/Aero
it says: Mobile Intel (R) 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset Family (Microsoft
Corporation - XDDM)

It has this twice.

newsEA8EDD4-F0CD-40DE-BF8A-DB0E33EC44C1@microsoft.com...
> it says: Mobile Intel (R) 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset Family
> (Microsoft
> Corporation - XDDM)
>
> It has this twice.

Q5: Why doesn’t the Intel 915 Express chipset family support Windows Vista
Aero?

A5: The overall graphics architecture and design of the 915 Express chipset
family (with Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphics engine) was
finalized prior to Microsoft releasing details and specifications around the
Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver. Given this, there are hardware
limitations in the 915 Express chipset architecture that would limit
graphics performance and memory capabilities when attempting to run WDDM on
Vista.

http://support.intel.com/support/gra...S-023606.htm#7

> "Julian" wrote:
>
>> "Usman" <Usman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > for graphics i got a 1.0/ Pathetic I know, haha. Just wondering if
>> > there's
>> > an
>> > easy way to improve this. Cuz as vista apperas right now, it looks
>> > kind
>> > of
>> > basic.

>> Ouch!
>> Very unlikely you can improve that sufficiently.
>> First things first... your graphics card.
>>
>> Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters > ???
>>
>> What does it tell you?

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: Graphics/Aero
As Julian noted, the Intel 915 doesn't support Aero in Vista. I'd be willing
to bet this graphics is on your motherboard, and you should have a free slot
(either AGP or PCIe) that can accept a graphics card.

I think you need one with at least 128Mb of RAM, and you can generally find
them under $50 if you look. I'd suggest an nVidia 6600 GT, which you can
find for maybe $75 or so...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP