Computer not keeping time

Violet Smith

Computer not keeping time
Since installing Windows Vista, my computer does not keep the correct time.
I have to constantly change it to the correct time. Also, Sometimes when I
shut down, the computer screen goes blank but does not shut down. It will
restart on its own at times also. I never had this problem until I installed
Windows Vista. Any ideas??
Dungeon Keeper

Re: Computer not keeping time
this could be the motherboard cmos battery - test it, it should be around 3v
DC as for the shutdown problem - could be connected or could be power
options in bios - check the bios date if the battery is ok

Dugeon Keeper
http://www.software-dungeon.co.uk

"Violet Smith" <Violet Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing Windows Vista, my computer does not keep the correct
> time.
> I have to constantly change it to the correct time. Also, Sometimes when
> shut down, the computer screen goes blank but does not shut down. It will
> restart on its own at times also. I never had this problem until I
> installed
> Windows Vista. Any ideas??

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer not keeping time
Hi Violet,

Problems with time while the system is running are usually related to a
non-compliant antivirus program interfering with the timing function. See if
disabling active scanning helps. If so, then you need to either update the
application or find a different one.

Did you check that the motherboard is fully ACPI compliant and has a
Vista-compatible BIOS?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Violet Smith" <Violet Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing Windows Vista, my computer does not keep the correct
> time.
> I have to constantly change it to the correct time. Also, Sometimes when
> shut down, the computer screen goes blank but does not shut down. It will
> restart on its own at times also. I never had this problem until I
> installed
> Windows Vista. Any ideas??

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer not keeping time
Only if the time is incorrect when the system is initialized, as that is the
only time the OS relies on the BIOS time. If it's a problem while the system
is running, then this is software interference.

--

"Dungeon Keeper" <james@software-dungeon.co.uk> wrote in message
> this could be the motherboard cmos battery - test it, it should be around
> 3v
> DC as for the shutdown problem - could be connected or could be power
> options in bios - check the bios date if the battery is ok
>
> Dugeon Keeper
> http://www.software-dungeon.co.uk
>
> "Violet Smith" <Violet Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Since installing Windows Vista, my computer does not keep the correct
>> time.
>> I have to constantly change it to the correct time. Also, Sometimes when
>> shut down, the computer screen goes blank but does not shut down. It
>> will
>> restart on its own at times also. I never had this problem until I
>> installed
>> Windows Vista. Any ideas??

rvrpsych

Re: Computer not keeping time
I have been having the same problem but for quite some time. I just figured
out to look here for a solution. Since it has been some time since I
installed anything new I don't know what is interferring with the date/time
which is always incorrect (running and off). I am not that computer savvy,
so would somone mind giving me a little more detailed description on what to
look for and how to fix it? I would really appreciate it since website
visits are now being blocked b/c of this problem.

Thanks!!