Defraging

Pixie

Defraging
I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you could
in XP.
All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea how
long it is going to take as there is no progress bar
Dave

Re: Defraging
None of us can see it.. It's quite a mystery.

Actually, it's designed that way. Supposedly, it does the work in the
background, so you won't notice it.

"Pixie" <Pixie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you
>could
> in XP.
> All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea how
> long it is going to take as there is no progress bar

Bert

RE: Defraging
I used the graphical representation on teh Xp version of defrag to show the
state of my hard drive. How fragmented is fragmented in the opinion of the
system? How much of my drive is free? I have nothing against improvements,
most of Vista has been a great step forward, just not this part.

"Pixie" wrote:

> I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you could
> in XP.
> All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea how
> long it is going to take as there is no progress bar

Gary Schnabl

Re: Defraging
Pixie wrote:
> I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you could
> in XP.
> All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea how
> long it is going to take as there is no progress bar

Try this for command-line defragging:
http://www.howtohaven.com/system/vis...entation.shtml
OldWolf

Re: Defraging
You can still see analysis of the drive by using the command line (defrag
c: -a) for analysis only. I've used the command line defrag in XP because
it seams to run faster than the GUI.

"Bert" <Bert @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used the graphical representation on teh Xp version of defrag to show the
> state of my hard drive. How fragmented is fragmented in the opinion of
> the
> system? How much of my drive is free? I have nothing against
> improvements,
> most of Vista has been a great step forward, just not this part.
>
> "Pixie" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you
>> could
>> in XP.
>> All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea
>> how
>> long it is going to take as there is no progress bar

brink

Re: Defraging

Pixie;312547 Wrote:
> I have Vista Premium but can I see the progress when defraging like you
> could
> in XP.
> All I can see is the program saying Defrag in progress so have no idea
> how
> long it is going to take as there is no progress bar

Hi Pixie,

You can use Auslogics Disk Defrag. It has a graph with details. Only
thing is, that it doesn't have a scheduled defrag in the free version.
You could leave Vista's defrag scheduled to run every so often and run
Auslogics with all progress graphs when you like manually. Here's the
link:

'Disk Defrag - Reclaim the Speed Of Your Disks'
(http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/) (It's Free)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*There are no dumb questions, just the people that don't ask them.*
'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.