PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button

mj

PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
Sleep works great when I initiate, but it won't drop into sleep
after an hour on it's own. The monitor will turn off after 20
minutes, however. I am using a desktop PC with the balanced power
plan.

thanks

Rich

RE: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
Same exact problem here except on a Dell laptop. In fact, if I have it in
High Performance, my computer won't even sleep if I hit the button or close
the lid.

Coincidentally, I have a few corrupted tasks in task scheduler that I can't
get rid of either. One was Scheduled Defrag, which I suspect is trying to
run and won't allow my computer to sleep. This is just a guess, because I
can't figure it out and it's really getting frustrating.

Rich

"mj" wrote:

> Sleep works great when I initiate, but it won't drop into sleep
> after an hour on it's own. The monitor will turn off after 20
> minutes, however. I am using a desktop PC with the balanced power
> plan.
>
> thanks

Kcpirana

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
I, too, have the same problem. I have the computer in Balanced power mode
and am running Vista Home Premium. I set it to sleep after an hour and this
morning, it was still on! Monitor shut off, as it was supposed to, but it
never went to sleep. Anyone have a fix for this?

Kristy

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Same exact problem here except on a Dell laptop. In fact, if I have it in
> High Performance, my computer won't even sleep if I hit the button or
> close
> the lid.
>
> Coincidentally, I have a few corrupted tasks in task scheduler that I
> can't
> get rid of either. One was Scheduled Defrag, which I suspect is trying to
> run and won't allow my computer to sleep. This is just a guess, because I
> can't figure it out and it's really getting frustrating.
>
> Rich
>
> "mj" wrote:
>
>> Sleep works great when I initiate, but it won't drop into sleep
>> after an hour on it's own. The monitor will turn off after 20
>> minutes, however. I am using a desktop PC with the balanced power
>> plan.
>>
>> thanks

Rich

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
Ok guys, I have figured something out. Try going to your Task Scheduler. As
soon as you open it up, do a couple of errors pop up along the lines of
"Defrag Scheduler is corrupted or tampered with"? I was also getting one
stating that "Task Reminders - (Your User Name) is corrupted. User name not
found". Here is my theory: Some tasks are corrupted and keep trying to run,
keeping the computer awake.

I did two things, and I don't know which fixed it. First off, a while back
I changed the name of my computer from e1505 to Laptop. That definitely
screwed up the Task Reminders task with Windows Calendar for some reason. I
could find no way to update the computer name in Windows Calendar so it knows
that my user name is in fact valid so I just changed the computer name back.
As soon as I did that it fixed that error.

Next I reinstalled Vista. That managed to fix my defrag scheduled task
corruption and now the computer sleeps just fine. If you pop in the Vista
disk, reinstall, and just choose to keep all programs and settings it seems
to work just like XP's repair function. I didn't lose a document or program,
and even my desktop remained the same.

If you changed the name of you computer at any point, try changing it back.
If that doesn't fix things, try the Vista reinstall. It worked for me.

Rich

"Kcpirana" wrote:

> I, too, have the same problem. I have the computer in Balanced power mode
> and am running Vista Home Premium. I set it to sleep after an hour and this
> morning, it was still on! Monitor shut off, as it was supposed to, but it
> never went to sleep. Anyone have a fix for this?
>
> Kristy
>
> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Same exact problem here except on a Dell laptop. In fact, if I have it in
> > High Performance, my computer won't even sleep if I hit the button or
> > close
> > the lid.
> >
> > Coincidentally, I have a few corrupted tasks in task scheduler that I
> > can't
> > get rid of either. One was Scheduled Defrag, which I suspect is trying to
> > run and won't allow my computer to sleep. This is just a guess, because I
> > can't figure it out and it's really getting frustrating.
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > "mj" wrote:
> >
> >> Sleep works great when I initiate, but it won't drop into sleep
> >> after an hour on it's own. The monitor will turn off after 20
> >> minutes, however. I am using a desktop PC with the balanced power
> >> plan.
> >>
> >> thanks

Kcpirana

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
OK, I opened Task Scheduler. In the last 24 hours, it shows 23 total - 5
running, 17 succeeded, 1 stopped, and 0 failed. The one that was stopped
was NAPStatus UI. It wasn't stopped by me (at least, not on purpose). But,
other than that, I have no errors coming up in conjunction with sleep mode
that I can find.

> Ok guys, I have figured something out. Try going to your Task Scheduler.
> As
> soon as you open it up, do a couple of errors pop up along the lines of
> "Defrag Scheduler is corrupted or tampered with"? I was also getting one
> stating that "Task Reminders - (Your User Name) is corrupted. User name
> not
> found". Here is my theory: Some tasks are corrupted and keep trying to
> run,
> keeping the computer awake.
>
> I did two things, and I don't know which fixed it. First off, a while
> back
> I changed the name of my computer from e1505 to Laptop. That definitely
> screwed up the Task Reminders task with Windows Calendar for some reason.
> could find no way to update the computer name in Windows Calendar so it
> knows
> that my user name is in fact valid so I just changed the computer name
> back.
> As soon as I did that it fixed that error.
>
> Next I reinstalled Vista. That managed to fix my defrag scheduled task
> corruption and now the computer sleeps just fine. If you pop in the Vista
> disk, reinstall, and just choose to keep all programs and settings it
> seems
> to work just like XP's repair function. I didn't lose a document or
> program,
> and even my desktop remained the same.
>
> If you changed the name of you computer at any point, try changing it
> back.
> If that doesn't fix things, try the Vista reinstall. It worked for me.
>
> Rich
>
> "Kcpirana" wrote:
>
>> I, too, have the same problem. I have the computer in Balanced power
>> mode
>> and am running Vista Home Premium. I set it to sleep after an hour and
>> this
>> morning, it was still on! Monitor shut off, as it was supposed to, but
>> it
>> never went to sleep. Anyone have a fix for this?
>>
>> Kristy
>>
>> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Same exact problem here except on a Dell laptop. In fact, if I have it
>> > in
>> > High Performance, my computer won't even sleep if I hit the button or
>> > close
>> > the lid.
>> >
>> > Coincidentally, I have a few corrupted tasks in task scheduler that I
>> > can't
>> > get rid of either. One was Scheduled Defrag, which I suspect is trying
>> > run and won't allow my computer to sleep. This is just a guess,
>> > because I
>> > can't figure it out and it's really getting frustrating.
>> >
>> > Rich

Kcpirana

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
OK, when digging around in my power options, under Multimedia settings, I
found that when sharing media (which I have enabled), the plugged in setting
was set to "prevent idling to sleep." Sounds like this could be my problem.
I changed it to "allow the computer to sleep" and we'll see what happens.
The original setting was the default choice, so anyone who didn't dig this
far in, but did enable media sharing, might want to look at this. I don't
know if it will fix my problem or not, but anyone who wants to access my
media has access to my notebook enough to zip their finger across the
touchpad to access the music, pictures, etc (9x out of 10=my kids).

> [...]

>> never went to sleep. Anyone have a fix for this?
>>
>> Kristy
>>
>> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Same exact problem here except on a Dell laptop. In fact, if I have it
>> > in
>> > High Performance, my computer won't even sleep if I hit the button or
>> > close
>> > the lid.
>> >
>> > Coincidentally, I have a few corrupted tasks in task scheduler that I
>> > can't
>> > get rid of either. One was Scheduled Defrag, which I suspect is trying
>> > run and won't allow my computer to sleep. This is just a guess,
>> > because I
>> > can't figure it out and it's really getting frustrating.
>> >
>> > Rich

Rich

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
You may not have the same issue I did. As soon as I opened Task Scheduler 3
message boxes opened up one after another; I didn't have to look up the
corrupt tasks. Just as a test, go to the Windows task folder in Task
Scheduler then go to Defrag. If one of those tasks are corrupt, as soon as
you open the folder a pop up box should appear telling you there is a
problem. Try this with other tasks that run in Vista by default and may
prevent the computer from sleeping like Disk Diagnostics or Defender.

If you feel comfortable doing it, you may want to reinstall Vista. I was a
little wary at first, but for me it was getting to the point of either that
or formatting the hard drive and doing a clean install. So far, doing the
reinstall on top of my faulty Vista seemed to do the trick with absolutely no
ill effects aside from waiting about 45 minutes for the system to do the
install.

Rich

"Kcpirana" wrote:

> OK, I opened Task Scheduler. In the last 24 hours, it shows 23 total - 5
> running, 17 succeeded, 1 stopped, and 0 failed. The one that was stopped
> was NAPStatus UI. It wasn't stopped by me (at least, not on purpose). But,
> other than that, I have no errors coming up in conjunction with sleep mode
> that I can find.
>
> Kristy
>
> "Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok guys, I have figured something out. Try going to your Task Scheduler.
> > As
> > soon as you open it up, do a couple of errors pop up along the lines of
> > "Defrag Scheduler is corrupted or tampered with"? I was also getting one
> > stating that "Task Reminders - (Your User Name) is corrupted. User name
> > not
> > found". Here is my theory: Some tasks are corrupted and keep trying to
> > run,
> > keeping the computer awake.
> >
> > I did two things, and I don't know which fixed it. First off, a while
> > back
> > I changed the name of my computer from e1505 to Laptop. That definitely
> > screwed up the Task Reminders task with Windows Calendar for some reason.
> > could find no way to update the computer name in Windows Calendar so it
> > knows
> > that my user name is in fact valid so I just changed the computer name
> > back.
> > As soon as I did that it fixed that error.
> >
> > Next I reinstalled Vista. That managed to fix my defrag scheduled task
> > corruption and now the computer sleeps just fine. If you pop in the Vista
> > disk, reinstall, and just choose to keep all programs and settings it
> > seems
> > to work just like XP's repair function. I didn't lose a document or
> > program,
> > and even my desktop remained the same.
> >
> > If you changed the name of you computer at any point, try changing it
> > back.
> > If that doesn't fix things, try the Vista reinstall. It worked for me.
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > "Kcpirana" wrote:
> >
> >> I, too, have the same problem. I have the computer in Balanced power
> >> mode
> >> and am running Vista Home Premium. I set it to sleep after an hour and
> >> this
> >> morning, it was still on! Monitor shut off, as it was supposed to, but
> >> it
> >> never went to sleep. Anyone have a fix for this?
> >>
> >> Kristy

Kcpirana

Re: PC won't sleep auto; but will when I hit vista power button
Rich, did you lose all your files when you did a reinstall? I don't mind
reinstalling, but I hate the thought of starting totally from scratch.