Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Plain and Simple, help me increase performance

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Aaron B
 

Posts: n/a
Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either Vista
sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know what to do. A
lot of people have described computers that were bought have a lot of
Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've gone through my
Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I knew wasn't important. My
RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that obviously isn't enough. This
computer is the best one I've ever had, but performs like my last one. It's
an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter Pentium
Dual-Core Processor, 80 gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs of
RAM. What can I shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my
performance up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag
problems since day 1.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Neil Harley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
Aaron B wrote:
> I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either
> Vista sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know
> what to do. A lot of people have described computers that were bought
> have a lot of Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've
> gone through my Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I
> knew wasn't important. My RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that
> obviously isn't enough. This computer is the best one I've ever had,
> but performs like my last one. It's an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an
> NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter Pentium Dual-Core Processor, 80
> gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs of RAM. What can I
> shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my performance
> up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag problems
> since day 1.


If you've seen lag from day 1 I would suspect that it is the build on your
PC but don't worry about RAM usage. Vista uses memory a lot better than
previous versions of Windows and imo it's a good thing having it used. I
have 2GB and using Task Manager I regularly see 0-9MB free RAM and a RAM
monitor at the same time will tell me it is being utilised at around the
40-50% mark.

Have you used MSConfig to check what is running at Startup? You could also
check manufacturers sites for driver updates as they are being updated
regularly and the build you have may be fairly old.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Dana Cline - MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
I was unable to completely get rid of all the junk on my new laptop, so I
finally (a week later) nuked it and installed Vista from scratch (NOT from
the recovery DVDs - they had all the junk on them too). It was radical but
it worked - I have a lean mean screaming machine. The optimization itself
has been hit and miss so far, but the following has helped...

Disable the Windows Search service, otherwise it keeps hitting the hard
drive and indexing everything.

Disable the Sidebar, or at least remove the slideshow applet - it sucks
cycles and hits the hard drive.

Play with the advanced power settings in the Control panel (mostly helps on
laptops).

Get Microsoft's Autoruns program (it's by the Sysinternals guy) to manage
what starts up. Very comprehensive program, you can find it at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx.

Download TweakVI - the free version has some great tweaks, and also
processor-specific tweaks. It's available at
http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kvi-index.html.

In the display controls, set your nVidia to "performance" vs "quality"
(there should be a slider in the 3D options).

Finally, consider your antivirus options. Norton seems to ship with most
PCs, but it seems to take more resources and have more issues than other
alternatives. I use NOD32 on Vista but Avast or AVG elsewhere...I think both
have Vista versions by now.

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"Aaron B" <Aaron B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AFB5A6B3-A291-4BA4-94CF-44E79FADF8D2@microsoft.com...
>I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either Vista
> sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know what to
> do. A
> lot of people have described computers that were bought have a lot of
> Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've gone through my
> Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I knew wasn't important.
> My
> RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that obviously isn't enough. This
> computer is the best one I've ever had, but performs like my last one.
> It's
> an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter
> Pentium
> Dual-Core Processor, 80 gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs
> of
> RAM. What can I shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my
> performance up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag
> problems since day 1.



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
news:uWMsBV7lHHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>I was unable to completely get rid of all the junk on my new laptop, so I
>finally (a week later) nuked it and installed Vista from scratch (NOT from
>the recovery DVDs - they had all the junk on them too). It was radical but
>it worked - I have a lean mean screaming machine. The optimization itself
>has been hit and miss so far, but the following has helped...
>
> Disable the Windows Search service, otherwise it keeps hitting the hard
> drive and indexing everything.
>
> Disable the Sidebar, or at least remove the slideshow applet - it sucks
> cycles and hits the hard drive.
>
> Play with the advanced power settings in the Control panel (mostly helps
> on laptops).
>
> Get Microsoft's Autoruns program (it's by the Sysinternals guy) to manage
> what starts up. Very comprehensive program, you can find it at
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx.
>
> Download TweakVI - the free version has some great tweaks, and also
> processor-specific tweaks. It's available at
> http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kvi-index.html.
>
> In the display controls, set your nVidia to "performance" vs "quality"
> (there should be a slider in the 3D options).
>
> Finally, consider your antivirus options. Norton seems to ship with most
> PCs, but it seems to take more resources and have more issues than other
> alternatives. I use NOD32 on Vista but Avast or AVG elsewhere...I think
> both have Vista versions by now.
>
> Dana Cline - MCE MVP


Apart from those, for want of a better term, "hard" benefits
there is a "soft" benefit of getting down and dirty
and knowing your box.



>
> "Aaron B" <Aaron B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:AFB5A6B3-A291-4BA4-94CF-44E79FADF8D2@microsoft.com...
>>I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either Vista
>> sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know what to
>> do. A
>> lot of people have described computers that were bought have a lot of
>> Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've gone through my
>> Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I knew wasn't important.
>> My
>> RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that obviously isn't enough. This
>> computer is the best one I've ever had, but performs like my last one.
>> It's
>> an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter
>> Pentium
>> Dual-Core Processor, 80 gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs
>> of
>> RAM. What can I shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my
>> performance up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag
>> problems since day 1.

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Lord Takyon
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:7DB55790-B5FC-48C7-B306-F1F8B525BDC2@microsoft.com...
> "Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
> news:uWMsBV7lHHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>I was unable to completely get rid of all the junk on my new laptop, so I
>>finally (a week later) nuked it and installed Vista from scratch (NOT from
>>the recovery DVDs - they had all the junk on them too). It was radical but
>>it worked - I have a lean mean screaming machine. The optimization itself
>>has been hit and miss so far, but the following has helped...
>>
>> Disable the Windows Search service, otherwise it keeps hitting the hard
>> drive and indexing everything.
>>
>> Disable the Sidebar, or at least remove the slideshow applet - it sucks
>> cycles and hits the hard drive.
>>
>> Play with the advanced power settings in the Control panel (mostly helps
>> on laptops).
>>
>> Get Microsoft's Autoruns program (it's by the Sysinternals guy) to manage
>> what starts up. Very comprehensive program, you can find it at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx.
>>
>> Download TweakVI - the free version has some great tweaks, and also
>> processor-specific tweaks. It's available at
>> http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kvi-index.html.
>>
>> In the display controls, set your nVidia to "performance" vs "quality"
>> (there should be a slider in the 3D options).
>>
>> Finally, consider your antivirus options. Norton seems to ship with most
>> PCs, but it seems to take more resources and have more issues than other
>> alternatives. I use NOD32 on Vista but Avast or AVG elsewhere...I think
>> both have Vista versions by now.
>>
>> Dana Cline - MCE MVP

>
> Apart from those, for want of a better term, "hard" benefits
> there is a "soft" benefit of getting down and dirty
> and knowing your box.
>
>
>
>>
>> "Aaron B" <Aaron B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:AFB5A6B3-A291-4BA4-94CF-44E79FADF8D2@microsoft.com...
>>>I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either Vista
>>> sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know what to
>>> do. A
>>> lot of people have described computers that were bought have a lot of
>>> Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've gone through my
>>> Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I knew wasn't important.
>>> My
>>> RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that obviously isn't enough. This
>>> computer is the best one I've ever had, but performs like my last one.
>>> It's
>>> an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter
>>> Pentium
>>> Dual-Core Processor, 80 gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs
>>> of
>>> RAM. What can I shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my
>>> performance up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag
>>> problems since day 1.

>>
>>

>
>



The tweaks suggested by Dana are valid, they have been performed here,
amongst others, and made a significant difference.

Also, as Julian states, there are massive benefits from knowing your machine
and how it works, a tremendous help in fault diagnosis.

You could also look into tweaking Windows Services, but do some research
first and only attempt what you are comfortable with.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
first thing is check the power setting options.
seems BALANCED is default. not best for performance.
set to HIGH PERFORMANCE .
check control panel INDEXING to see if it is done. if not wait a little longer.

be sure you run CLEANUP and DEFRAG.



mikeyhsd@comcast.net



"Aaron B" <Aaron B@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFB5A6B3-A291-4BA4-94CF-44E79FADF8D2@microsoft.com...
I really don't want to have to deal with all the crap about either Vista
sucks, or it's not Vista, it's my computer. I just want to know what to do. A
lot of people have described computers that were bought have a lot of
Junkware on them and that's not Vista's fault. I've gone through my
Add/Remove Programs and removed everything that I knew wasn't important. My
RAM usage dropped from 50% to 44%, but that obviously isn't enough. This
computer is the best one I've ever had, but performs like my last one. It's
an Acer Aspire 5570-2609 with an NVidia 7600 graphics card, an Inter Pentium
Dual-Core Processor, 80 gig hard drive, and I upgraded it to have 2 gigs of
RAM. What can I shut down from Vista or anything else that'll bring my
performance up? I've only had this computer for 3 days and have had lag
problems since day 1.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-16-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Lord Takyon" <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:epPBL07lHHA.4684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:7DB55790-B5FC-48C7-B306-F1F8B525BDC2@microsoft.com...
>> "Dana Cline - MVP" <dcline@scriptpro.com> wrote in message
>> news:uWMsBV7lHHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>>I was unable to completely get rid of all the junk on my new laptop, so I
>>>finally (a week later) nuked it and installed Vista from scratch (NOT
>>>from the recovery DVDs - they had all the junk on them too). It was
>>>radical but it worked - I have a lean mean screaming machine. The
>>>optimization itself has been hit and miss so far, but the following has
>>>helped...
>>>
>>> Disable the Windows Search service, otherwise it keeps hitting the hard
>>> drive and indexing everything.
>>>
>>> Disable the Sidebar, or at least remove the slideshow applet - it sucks
>>> cycles and hits the hard drive.
>>>
>>> Play with the advanced power settings in the Control panel (mostly helps
>>> on laptops).
>>>
>>> Get Microsoft's Autoruns program (it's by the Sysinternals guy) to
>>> manage what starts up. Very comprehensive program, you can find it at
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx.
>>>
>>> Download TweakVI - the free version has some great tweaks, and also
>>> processor-specific tweaks. It's available at
>>> http://www.totalidea.com/content/twe...kvi-index.html.
>>>
>>> In the display controls, set your nVidia to "performance" vs "quality"
>>> (there should be a slider in the 3D options).
>>>
>>> Finally, consider your antivirus options. Norton seems to ship with most
>>> PCs, but it seems to take more resources and have more issues than other
>>> alternatives. I use NOD32 on Vista but Avast or AVG elsewhere...I think
>>> both have Vista versions by now.
>>>
>>> Dana Cline - MCE MVP

>>
>> Apart from those, for want of a better term, "hard" benefits
>> there is a "soft" benefit of getting down and dirty
>> and knowing your box.
>>

>
> The tweaks suggested by Dana are valid, they have been performed here,
> amongst others, and made a significant difference.
>
> Also, as Julian states, there are massive benefits from knowing your
> machine and how it works, a tremendous help in fault diagnosis.
>
> You could also look into tweaking Windows Services, but do some research
> first and only attempt what you are comfortable with.


ps. Most people learn to drive BEFORE spending a few grand on a car.

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2007
Aaron B
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Julian" wrote:
>
> ps. Most people learn to drive BEFORE spending a few grand on a car.
>


A bit harsh aren't we? Anyways, I've been using computers for a good while
now. No, I'm not an expert on the subject and can't use MSDOS to save my
life, but I've still explored my computers to see what all is in them. So
I've got a pretty good idea on how to fix my computer and stuff without
having to send it in, or work programs. But I've never had a problem like
this before so I've never had the chance to learn about it. Just because a
person can't drive stick-shift doesn't mean they're bad at automatic

Oh and thanks for the links Dana, I'll see how those work for me ^^
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Aaron B" <AaronB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:00C0381E-0505-4BC4-AE0F-1906053B8821@microsoft.com...
> "Julian" wrote:
>>
>> ps. Most people learn to drive BEFORE spending a few grand on a car.
>>

>
> A bit harsh aren't we? Anyways, I've been using computers for a good while
> now. No, I'm not an expert on the subject and can't use MSDOS to save my
> life, but I've still explored my computers to see what all is in them. So
> I've got a pretty good idea on how to fix my computer and stuff without
> having to send it in, or work programs. But I've never had a problem like
> this before so I've never had the chance to learn about it. Just because a
> person can't drive stick-shift doesn't mean they're bad at automatic
>
> Oh and thanks for the links Dana, I'll see how those work for me ^^



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Plain and Simple, help me increase performance
"Aaron B" <AaronB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:00C0381E-0505-4BC4-AE0F-1906053B8821@microsoft.com...
> "Julian" wrote:
>>
>> ps. Most people learn to drive BEFORE spending a few grand on a car.
>>

>
> A bit harsh aren't we? Anyways, I've been using computers for a good while
> now. No, I'm not an expert on the subject and can't use MSDOS to save my
> life, but I've still explored my computers to see what all is in them. So
> I've got a pretty good idea on how to fix my computer and stuff without
> having to send it in, or work programs. But I've never had a problem like
> this before so I've never had the chance to learn about it. Just because a
> person can't drive stick-shift doesn't mean they're bad at automatic
>
> Oh and thanks for the links Dana, I'll see how those work for me ^^


I'm sorry if it came me over that way.
I know I'm often abrupt but there was certainly
no intent this occasion.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offline Files (Plain Text This Time) Mike Benton microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management 0 05-03-2007 14:37
Increase performance? Paul T microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 37 04-06-2007 21:39
Apple TV Just Plain Works BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 03-24-2007 19:39
can't increase resolution =?Utf-8?B?QWxleA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 03-01-2007 02:14
Increase the size of subtitles =?Utf-8?B?THVraWFu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 1 01-22-2007 17:11




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:19.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120