Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down

rlhood_ncsd

Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after shutting
down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of display
to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced power
settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons and
lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu power
button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer is
on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon screen.
It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing a
shut down?
Julian

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
"rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> shutting
> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> display
> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> power
> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> and
> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> power
> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> is
> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> screen.
> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> shut down?

http://www.kidsnewsroom.org/elmer/in....shoemaker.txt

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
"rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> shutting
> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> display
> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> power
> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> and
> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> power
> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> is
> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> screen.
> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> shut down?

You need to check the options for the scheduled tasks that are configured on
the system.

Open Task Scheduler. Click on Task Scheduler (Local). At the bottom of that
dialog you will see a lsit of all the Active Tasks. Double click each task
and click the Conditions Tab. Make sure that the "Wake the computer to run
this task" is not selected.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
Hi,

Check "wake on..." settings in the system BIOS, likely that "wake on lan" or
"wake on ring" is enabled.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> shutting
> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> display
> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> power
> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> and
> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> power
> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> is
> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> screen.
> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> shut down?

Richard Urban

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
If you actually "shut down" your computer, you can change anything you want
within Windows and it will not affect the fact that your computer starts up
by itself overnight.

There is a setting in your bios that is causing that to happen. Go into your
bios and look at the startup options. There may be a clock function enabled
or wake on lan may be enabled.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> shutting
> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> display
> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> power
> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> and
> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> power
> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> is
> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> screen.
> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> shut down?

Richard Urban

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
If the computer is actually shut down, and not just sleeping or in
hibernation, nothing within task manager will start the computer. It is in
the bios.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban

> "rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
>> shutting
>> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system
>> and
>> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
>> display
>> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
>> power
>> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
>> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
>> and
>> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
>> power
>> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
>> is
>> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
>> screen.
>> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
>> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
>> shut down?

> You need to check the options for the scheduled tasks that are configured
> on the system.
>
> Open Task Scheduler. Click on Task Scheduler (Local). At the bottom of
> that dialog you will see a lsit of all the Active Tasks. Double click each
> task and click the Conditions Tab. Make sure that the "Wake the computer
> to run this task" is not selected.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Robert

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
Are you using the power button on the start menu or are you going to the
little arrow and selecting shutdown from the drop down list?. I was having
the same problem when I realized the little power button only puts the pc in
a low power state and certain applications can wake it back up.

"rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> shutting
> down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> display
> to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> power
> settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> and
> lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> power
> button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> is
> on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> screen.
> It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> shut down?

rlhood_ncsd

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
You were right on target - in CMOS SETUP, Advanced, Device Options, changing
S5 Wake on LAN from enable to disable seems to have solved the issue. PC has
stayed shut down for 2 consecutive nights now. Thanks.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check "wake on..." settings in the system BIOS, likely that "wake on lan" or
> "wake on ring" is enabled.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> > shutting
> > down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> > maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> > display
> > to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> > power
> > settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> > allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> > and
> > lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> > power
> > button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> > is
> > on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> > screen.
> > It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> > anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> > shut down?

Barbra

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
My computer does the same thing. I turn it off. And after awhile it turns
itself back on. I turn it off, go away for awhile and it turns itself back
on again.

You say there is a setting in bios that is causing it to happen. Where is
this bios? I am NEW to vista, I have only had it for less than a week so I
don't know all the ins and outs of it yet. thank you.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> If you actually "shut down" your computer, you can change anything you want
> within Windows and it will not affect the fact that your computer starts up
> by itself overnight.
>
> There is a setting in your bios that is causing that to happen. Go into your
> bios and look at the startup options. There may be a clock function enabled
> or wake on lan may be enabled.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "rlhood_ncsd" <rlhood_ncsd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Windows Vista Business PC automatically restarts overnight after
> > shutting
> > down at the end of the day. I have gone through control panel, system and
> > maintenance, power options - selected a predefined plan, set turn of
> > display
> > to never and put computer to sleep never. I have also changed advanced
> > power
> > settings: turn off hard disk - never; sleep, sleep after - never; sleep,
> > allow hybrid sleep - off; sleep, hibernate after - never; power buttons
> > and
> > lid, power button action - shut down; power buttons and lid, start menu
> > power
> > button - shutdown. Each morning when I arrive at my office, the computer
> > is
> > on, with a default screen saver running, waiting at my network logon
> > screen.
> > It appears to be restarting as a result of default scheduled tasks. Does
> > anyone know how to get the machine to stay off overnight after performing
> > shut down?

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer Automatically Starts Overnight Following A Shut Down
Hi Barbra,

The system BIOS is not part of Vista, it is a set of instructions that the
computer uses to initialize hardware and start the boot process. It is
accessed by hitting a key stroke or key combination when the system is
initially powered on, well before Windows takes over. The appropriate key
should be displayed on the screen as hitting some key to "enter setup". Once
in the BIOS, you would want to check in the advanced power options for lines
to "wake on lan" or "wake on ring", as these things, when enabled, will
prompt a system to power on if these conditions are detected. Use the
on-screen instructions to save any changes and exit (usually F10) and the
system will restart with the new settings.