MMC

Sophia

MMC
Can anyone help? I have a number of applications that come up with the
message 'mmc could not create the snap-in, the snap-in might not have been
installed correctly' But I don't know what this is or how to rectify the
problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Rick Rogers

Re: MMC
Hi Sophia,

What applications? All of them?
Is this through the shortcuts (.lnk's) or by directly clicking the .exe
files?

I would think that you may have a corruption of the registry keys used to
run them if it's all applications. If so, we should be able to reset them.
If it just started happening, a System Restore to a date prior to the
problem should resolve it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sophia" <dionysus@talktalk.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I have a number of applications that come up with the
> message 'mmc could not create the snap-in, the snap-in might not have been
> installed correctly' But I don't know what this is or how to rectify the
> problem. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank you.

AJR

Re: MMC
Sophia - "MMC" is the management console - part of Administration Tools - it
provides utitlites for administration, problem solving, log viewing and so
forth.
The utilities are referred to as "snap-ins" - several are included by
default and others , if desired, must be "added" to a MMC console - you can
get an idea of MMC by Start>Run>MMC

The applications you refer to may give an indication of why you are
receiving the message - most likely you are attempting to run a system
utility that requires the applicable snap-in.

"Sophia" <dionysus@talktalk.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I have a number of applications that come up with the
> message 'mmc could not create the snap-in, the snap-in might not have been
> installed correctly' But I don't know what this is or how to rectify the
> problem. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank you.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: MMC
"Sophia" <dionysus@talktalk.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone help? I have a number of applications that come up with the
> message 'mmc could not create the snap-in, the snap-in might not have been
> installed correctly' But I don't know what this is or how to rectify the
> problem. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thank you.

Sophia

Which version of Vista are you using? If you are using either one of the
Home versions, Basic or Premium, then many of the MMC snap-ins are not
included in those versions.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

AJR

Re: MMC
Sophis - Received your E-mail - the "empty" screen at Start>Run>MMC provides
the route to add "snap-ins" and the default is no listing.

How are you trying to use Task manager? Selecting "New TasK", "Resource
Monitor". If it is "New Task" what is it?