Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista too slow

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
raph
 

Posts: n/a
Vista too slow
I have a decent machine: a HP T5500 duo core with 2gb of ram and an ATI 7600
mobile video card and it comes with Vista Ultimate. But I am very
disappointed with the performance. My new PC is much slower than my very old
desktop with XP. Opening a session is very frustrating, same with the mail
and Explorer. I removed Norton and other junkware (HP is terrible for that)
but the performance is the same. Is there anything I can do to improve the
speed, other than changing to XP?



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
TomL
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista too slow


"raph" wrote:

> I have a decent machine: a HP T5500 duo core with 2gb of ram and an ATI 7600
> mobile video card and it comes with Vista Ultimate. But I am very
> disappointed with the performance. My new PC is much slower than my very old
> desktop with XP. Opening a session is very frustrating, same with the mail
> and Explorer. I removed Norton and other junkware (HP is terrible for that)
> but the performance is the same. Is there anything I can do to improve the
> speed, other than changing to XP?
>
>

I'm having the same problem with a Gateway GT5404 multi-media desktop.

My dsl speed is around 270 kbps, tested by all sources, but, my download
speed is only 33kbps! Also, videos from all sources rebuffer during playing.

Best Buy got the same results on their T-1 line!

For some reason Vista seems to be holding up downloads. Gateway claims its
a Vista problem!!!

I'm pissed and tired of being jerked around.

My older Gateway macine at work with XP Pro is faster than fast.

What gives???
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
James Matthews
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
Can you please include some information.

1.What's your vista score?
2.Is there any issues with Vista please check in Control Panel -> problem
report and solutions
3.Also check in the performance information section

If there are still issues please email me.

James

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=39
"raph" <raph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9AA0EBE-8F19-404D-AA42-9F708FC16EA1@microsoft.com...
>I have a decent machine: a HP T5500 duo core with 2gb of ram and an ATI
>7600
> mobile video card and it comes with Vista Ultimate. But I am very
> disappointed with the performance. My new PC is much slower than my very
> old
> desktop with XP. Opening a session is very frustrating, same with the mail
> and Explorer. I removed Norton and other junkware (HP is terrible for
> that)
> but the performance is the same. Is there anything I can do to improve the
> speed, other than changing to XP?
>
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
John M.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
Hey guys, this is Microsoft we are dealing with and you are the hood
ornament for the public shake down cruise of Windows Vista. I understand
that there is a way of adjusting the power settings in the control panel
that allows the OS to not micro mange the machines CPU resources and the
associated power settings. Check it out, the Power Settings Control Panel.

"raph" <raph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news9AA0EBE-8F19-404D-AA42-9F708FC16EA1@microsoft.com...
>I have a decent machine: a HP T5500 duo core with 2gb of ram and an ATI
>7600
> mobile video card and it comes with Vista Ultimate. But I am very
> disappointed with the performance. My new PC is much slower than my very
> old
> desktop with XP. Opening a session is very frustrating, same with the mail
> and Explorer. I removed Norton and other junkware (HP is terrible for
> that)
> but the performance is the same. Is there anything I can do to improve the
> speed, other than changing to XP?
>
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Kevin
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Vista too slow
Hi Raph,
YES!!

I bought a new computer yesterday and have been NOTHING but disappointed
with Vista. Computer = Acer 9302AWSMi, AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 2.2 GHz, 1 GB
ram, Vista Premium.

I have had NOTHING but problems. The problems started before I even plugged
into my internet connection -- so not even a possibility it's a virus.

Symptoms of abominable speed:
-- After trying several times to copy a DVD to hard drive, I put it in last
night, started copy and went to bed. Nine hours later, this DVD (approx. 1.2
Gb) was still not copied. Estimated time remaining 66 days.
-- I've tried other DVDs (files from my old computer) -- same thing.
-- I cannot even open the DVDs to look at them. Explorer hangs with the
spinning wheel.
If I check CPU usage ... 1 or 2 % ... it's not doing anything. There is no
activity. Everything freezes but there's no activity. What's wrong.

Of note ... With nothing open, nothing running, my Physical Memory Usage is
at 60%. WHY? I'm not doing anything.

I've searched high and low -- and on internet -- to find something that I
can fix. Nothing.

On one website, I hear there is a HotFix for the copying problem ... but I
have to call Microsoft (and pay) to get this HotFix. Ridiculous.

I've also found that Robocopy is another option to use -- but why should I
have to go look for a program to do what Explorer cannot.

If I could take this computer back today and be rid of Vista, I would.

Microsoft -- DO SOMETHING.

Kevin



"raph" wrote:

> I have a decent machine: a HP T5500 duo core with 2gb of ram and an ATI 7600
> mobile video card and it comes with Vista Ultimate. But I am very
> disappointed with the performance. My new PC is much slower than my very old
> desktop with XP. Opening a session is very frustrating, same with the mail
> and Explorer. I removed Norton and other junkware (HP is terrible for that)
> but the performance is the same. Is there anything I can do to improve the
> speed, other than changing to XP?
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A4BAB0B4-9EFB-4BFD-AB61-D63FFAD599EF@microsoft.com...
> Hi Raph,
> YES!!
>
> I bought a new computer yesterday and have been NOTHING but disappointed
> with Vista. Computer = Acer 9302AWSMi, AMD Turion 64 Mobile, 2.2 GHz, 1 GB
> ram, Vista Premium.
>
> I have had NOTHING but problems. The problems started before I even
> plugged
> into my internet connection -- so not even a possibility it's a virus.
>
> Symptoms of abominable speed:
> -- After trying several times to copy a DVD to hard drive, I put it in
> last
> night, started copy and went to bed. Nine hours later, this DVD (approx.
> 1.2
> Gb) was still not copied. Estimated time remaining 66 days.
> -- I've tried other DVDs (files from my old computer) -- same thing.
> -- I cannot even open the DVDs to look at them. Explorer hangs with the
> spinning wheel.
> If I check CPU usage ... 1 or 2 % ... it's not doing anything. There is no
> activity. Everything freezes but there's no activity. What's wrong.
>
> Of note ... With nothing open, nothing running, my Physical Memory Usage
> is
> at 60%. WHY? I'm not doing anything.
>
> I've searchTed high and low -- and on internet -- to find something that I
> can fix. Nothing.
>
> On one website, I hear there is a HotFix for the copying problem ... but I
> have to call Microsoft (and pay) to get this HotFix. Ridiculous.


You have to pay the price of a local call.

>
> I've also found that Robocopy is another option to use -- but why should I
> have to go look for a program to do what Explorer cannot.
>
> If I could take this computer back today and be rid of Vista, I would.
>
> Microsoft -- DO SOMETHING.


Why can't you take it back?

Take your dvd's with you and demonstrate that it is not fit for purpose
and only accept a replacement when you have seen it working.

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Kevin
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
Great minds think alike. I am planning to go back to the store today to show
them this. If they'll take it back, I may take this moment to switch to Macs.
If this is the future of Windows, I don't want it.

"Julian" wrote:

> Why can't you take it back?
>
> Take your dvd's with you and demonstrate that it is not fit for purpose
> and only accept a replacement when you have seen it working.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Terry
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:648F4097-BBEF-4A86-8754-25DF4B92566A@microsoft.com...
> Great minds think alike. I am planning to go back to the store today to
> show
> them this. If they'll take it back, I may take this moment to switch to
> Macs.
> If this is the future of Windows, I don't want it.
>
> "Julian" wrote:
>
>> Why can't you take it back?
>>
>> Take your dvd's with you and demonstrate that it is not fit for purpose
>> and only accept a replacement when you have seen it working.
>>
>>


You dont know if this is a windows problem.

Regards


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:648F4097-BBEF-4A86-8754-25DF4B92566A@microsoft.com...
> Great minds think alike. I am planning to go back to the store today to
> show
> them this. If they'll take it back, I may take this moment to switch to
> Macs.
> If this is the future of Windows, I don't want it.


Hold fire on such judgements until you've been unshopping.

I'm not sure about tying myself to a particular hardware manufacturer
especially one with series or dead ends under their belt.

Whatever...

If you are from the UK go into the shop armed with...
http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buyi.../page8600.html

> "Julian" wrote:
>
>> Why can't you take it back?
>>
>> Take your dvd's with you and demonstrate that it is not fit for purpose
>> and only accept a replacement when you have seen it working.
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista too slow
"Julian" <Julianlzb87@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:FEAA6921-8311-4DFD-94AD-A7A4CFA5738A@microsoft.com...
> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:648F4097-BBEF-4A86-8754-25DF4B92566A@microsoft.com...
>> Great minds think alike. I am planning to go back to the store today to
>> show
>> them this. If they'll take it back, I may take this moment to switch to
>> Macs.
>> If this is the future of Windows, I don't want it.

>
> Hold fire on such judgements until you've been unshopping.
>
> I'm not sure about tying myself to a particular hardware manufacturer
> especially one with series or dead ends under their belt.
>
> Whatever...
>
> If you are from the UK go into the shop armed with...
> http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/buyi.../page8600.html


ps. Manufacturers and vendors guarantees give you far less protection
than the Sale of good act in the early period of ownership.

They manufacturers and vendors actually hope you fall for their
guarantees to let them of a few hooks.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very slow Vista =?Utf-8?B?QmVuZ3Q=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 9 04-05-2007 19:08
SLOW...good grief, this thing is painfully slow =?Utf-8?B?TGVzIFRob21wc29u?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 8 03-26-2007 04:15
vista ultimate slow slow network with windows 2000 pro Lynn McGuire microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 13:28
Vista Windows are (Not Responding) - Slow Slow Slow JB1300 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 12:35
vista ultimate slow slow network with windows 2000 pro Lynn McGuire microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 02-15-2007 17:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:32.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120