KB931768 problem - ***solved***

Richard Urban

KB931768 problem - ***solved***
I had posted in a couple of various threads that I was also affected by this
update (KB931768) under both Vista and Windows XP. Under Vista, Windows Mail
had become so slow as to be almost impossible to use. Clicking on a post in
the news groups took about 2-4 seconds to show the text in the bottom.
Replying to a post also took about 2-4 seconds to bring us a usable reply
window. Shutting down Windows Mail took the same 2-4 seconds.

I also stated that I thought it was a program interaction. It took me six
days to rebuild my system, installing each program I normally use, rebooting
and then testing Windows Mail. I was creating an image of my system after
every successful program install so I could go back easily when I found a
problem. All it took was loads of time and testing.

About 2 hours ago I finally found the culprit!

Hint! Raise your hand if you have Spybot Search and Destroy installed.

I had been using Spybot Search and Destroy for about 4 years now. I
installed it under Vista and, because it seemed to work OK, I left it in
place. Well, we all know that Spybot S&D was **not** designed for Vista. It
just happened to work.

Unfortunately, it's short comings showed up after the install of KB931768

I installed Spybot S&D - and did not choose to run through the initial
wizard immediately. I closed down Spybot S&D and tested Windows Mail.
Everything was fine. After a reboot everything was still fine. I then ran
through the wizard and retrieved all the available updates for Spybot S&D. I
again tested Windows Mail and found it to work as it previously had (no
discernible problems or slow downs).

I then chose to ***immunize*** within Spybot, which you have to do to apply
the updates for the program.

I again started Windows Mail.

*****BANG***** *****BOOM***** *****BAM*****

Windows Mail had been broken!

Every adverse condition that I listed above was back in all their glory!

Now, here is the unfortunate part that is going to cause countless thousands
of people a bunch of grief. Uninstalling Spybot Search and Destroy (even
with a reboot) ***DOES NOT*** eliminate the problem and take you back to
where you were previously. Uninstalling and then using System Restore may -
if you have just installed Spybot S&D and made no changes to your system
since. I doubt if too many people would fall into this category.

Even scouring the file system and deleting all remnants left from the
install does nothing. Spybot must place, or alter, a registry entry
somewhere that is not touched by the uninstall process. You will have to
rebuild your system from scratch and resist the temptation to install Spybot
Search and Destroy.

I have not yet tested to see if this also solves the alternate placement
problem for the Temporary Internet File Folder but I will be testing for
that as soon as I place this post in the suitable newsgroups. I will also be
testing for this under Windows XP when I recover from the total exhaustion I
have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Richard Urban

Addendum
I had also had a problem where I could NOT start Internet Explorer with
administrator privileges if I stored the Temporary Internet Files in other
than the default location.. IE would crash when I did so.

This fix **DOES NOT** solve for that problem. So, there is still more work
to do. <sigh>

--

> [...]
> System Restore may - if you have just installed Spybot S&D and made no
> changes to your system since. I doubt if too many people would fall into
> this category.
>
> Even scouring the file system and deleting all remnants left from the
> install does nothing. Spybot must place, or alter, a registry entry
> somewhere that is not touched by the uninstall process. You will have to
> rebuild your system from scratch and resist the temptation to install
> Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> I have not yet tested to see if this also solves the alternate placement
> problem for the Temporary Internet File Folder but I will be testing for
> that as soon as I place this post in the suitable newsgroups. I will also
> be testing for this under Windows XP when I recover from the total
> exhaustion I have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:

Bill

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
> [...]
> System Restore may - if you have just installed Spybot S&D and made no
> changes to your system since. I doubt if too many people would fall into
> this category.
>
> Even scouring the file system and deleting all remnants left from the
> install does nothing. Spybot must place, or alter, a registry entry
> somewhere that is not touched by the uninstall process. You will have to
> rebuild your system from scratch and resist the temptation to install
> Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> I have not yet tested to see if this also solves the alternate placement
> problem for the Temporary Internet File Folder but I will be testing for
> that as soon as I place this post in the suitable newsgroups. I will also
> be testing for this under Windows XP when I recover from the total
> exhaustion I have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:

I too have been experiencing these delays of several seconds since the last
updates and was interested to see the results of your hard work. It is one
of a number of issues which have me seriously contemplating reverting to XP.
So I was pleased to see your post.

Interestingly the Spybot site claims "now officially works with Vista" - see
www.spybot.info/en/news/index.html - 16 April article, obviously before the
KB931768 update.

I'm now wondering if you have had any contact with Spybot?

Thanks - hope you are well rested by the time you read this.

Bill

Richard Urban

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
I emailed the identical post to Spybot for their knowledge.

--

"Bill" <willy@home.sometimes> wrote in message
> [...]
>> exhaustion I have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

> I too have been experiencing these delays of several seconds since the
> last updates and was interested to see the results of your hard work. It
> is one of a number of issues which have me seriously contemplating
> reverting to XP. So I was pleased to see your post.
>
> Interestingly the Spybot site claims "now officially works with Vista" -
> see
> www.spybot.info/en/news/index.html - 16 April article, obviously before
> the KB931768 update.
>
> I'm now wondering if you have had any contact with Spybot?
>
> Thanks - hope you are well rested by the time you read this.

GTS

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
Hand raised! An interesting find. Thanks for the hard work.
If I can muster the time and ambition, it's tempting to follow you're lead
and do a pre and post Immunize registry comparison. It seems like that
would be the only way to find a less drastic fix.

>I had posted in a couple of various threads that I was also affected by
>this update (KB931768) under both Vista and Windows XP. Under Vista,
>Windows Mail

DanS

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hint! Raise your hand if you have Spybot Search and Destroy installed.
>
> I had been using Spybot Search and Destroy for about 4 years now. I
> installed it under Vista and, because it seemed to work OK, I left it
> in place. Well, we all know that Spybot S&D was **not** designed for
> Vista. It just happened to work.
>
> Unfortunately, it's short comings showed up after the install of
> KB931768

I'm sort of wondering why you run Spybot anyway under Vista.

Doesn't UAC and all the new 'security' in Vista and IE7, along with the MS
One Care package make Spybot unnecessary ?
Richard Urban

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
God! That would take me another 24 hours, sifting through the thousands of
registry entries.

Besides, I have to finish rebuilding my system. I still have another 40 or
so programs and applets to install.

--

"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
> Hand raised! An interesting find. Thanks for the hard work.
> If I can muster the time and ambition, it's tempting to follow you're lead
> and do a pre and post Immunize registry comparison. It seems like that
> would be the only way to find a less drastic fix.

>>I had posted in a couple of various threads that I was also affected by
>>this update (KB931768) under both Vista and Windows XP. Under Vista,
>>Windows Mail

WTC

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
All you need to do is remove the Restricted Sites from IE Options and the
problem is gone, there was no need for a complete re-install. Seen many
computers affected by this and this is how I fixed the problem.

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains
And
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

--
William Crawford
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

> [...]
> System Restore may - if you have just installed Spybot S&D and made no
> changes to your system since. I doubt if too many people would fall into
> this category.
>
> Even scouring the file system and deleting all remnants left from the
> install does nothing. Spybot must place, or alter, a registry entry
> somewhere that is not touched by the uninstall process. You will have to
> rebuild your system from scratch and resist the temptation to install
> Spybot Search and Destroy.
>
> I have not yet tested to see if this also solves the alternate placement
> problem for the Temporary Internet File Folder but I will be testing for
> that as soon as I place this post in the suitable newsgroups. I will also
> be testing for this under Windows XP when I recover from the total
> exhaustion I have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:

Richard Urban

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
<grin>

You post this NOW, after I spend 6 days. How do you know which program
placed the sites in the restricted area when many people have multiple anti
spyware programs installed. Many put web sites there.

--

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> System Restore may - if you have just installed Spybot S&D and made no
>> changes to your system since. I doubt if too many people would fall into
>> this category.
>>
>> Even scouring the file system and deleting all remnants left from the
>> install does nothing. Spybot must place, or alter, a registry entry
>> somewhere that is not touched by the uninstall process. You will have to
>> rebuild your system from scratch and resist the temptation to install
>> Spybot Search and Destroy.
>>
>> I have not yet tested to see if this also solves the alternate placement
>> problem for the Temporary Internet File Folder but I will be testing for
>> that as soon as I place this post in the suitable newsgroups. I will also
>> be testing for this under Windows XP when I recover from the total
>> exhaustion I have been working under for the past 24 hours. (-:

WTC

Re: KB931768 problem - ***solved***
I do not know what Sites are added by what programs but Spybot adds a lot of
them. I just removed them all after a backup of course and the problem went
away. Having 12,000+ sites in the restrictive zone will eventually cause
problems. From what I heard, 12,000 malware sites is a very small percentage
of what is actually out there.

--
William Crawford
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User