Remote Assist Problem

Rich Bail

Remote Assist Problem
I have Vista. Friend has XP. He sent a remote assist request. Worked fine
until the end. Got a message that I could not connect, and that Remote Assist
may have been turned off. Any Ideas what to do?
--
Rich
Rick Rogers

Re: Remote Assist Problem
Hi Rich,

Is your friend behind a router? If so, his RA file may contain his local IP
and not the one the router uses to connect to the outside world. For it to
work, you first have to open the RA file in a text editor and change it (he
should be able to supply you with the router's external IP) and he will have
to enable port forwarding on the router for 3389 to internal address of his
machine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rich Bail" <RichBail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista. Friend has XP. He sent a remote assist request. Worked fine
> until the end. Got a message that I could not connect, and that Remote
> Assist
> may have been turned off. Any Ideas what to do?
> --
> Rich

Rich Bail

Re: Remote Assist Problem
Thanks, but no router. Just a single PC connected to the world thru broadband
(Optonline.net) connection
--
Rich

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Is your friend behind a router? If so, his RA file may contain his local IP
> and not the one the router uses to connect to the outside world. For it to
> work, you first have to open the RA file in a text editor and change it (he
> should be able to supply you with the router's external IP) and he will have
> to enable port forwarding on the router for 3389 to internal address of his
> machine.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Rich Bail" <RichBail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have Vista. Friend has XP. He sent a remote assist request. Worked fine
> > until the end. Got a message that I could not connect, and that Remote
> > Assist
> > may have been turned off. Any Ideas what to do?
> > --
> > Rich

Rick Rogers

Re: Remote Assist Problem
Hi,

I would still open and verify the IP contained in the file. Many of the home
networking solutions now being provided by service providers are combination
modem/router units, so there could still be some address translation.