Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clicking dektop, and choosing "New"

Bill

Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clicking dektop, and choosing "New"
In desperation, after not getting the answer on the Vista.Genearl group, I'm
posting this to as many groups as I think may be able to help as I suspect
that the problem could occur in any MS operating system and is not Vista
specific. It might just even be associated with MS Word itself.

The problem is as stated in the subject. After I did a factory reformat of
a pre-installed Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire L3600 and re-installed
my apps, including MS Office 2007 Plus I found that when I right-click the
desktop and choose "New", most of options to open a new folder, shortcut,
Bitmap Image and documents in the Office suite are there except for MS Word.
It used to be there, now it's not and as far as I can see it is the only one
missing. In fact Word shows up when I installed MS Office on my wife's Dell
laptop as a test. I've un- and re-installed the entire Office suite to no
avail. How has this happened, but more importantly, how can I get it back
in the list? It's the feature of the right-click procedure, other than
opening a new folder, that I find the most useful.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Bill

DL

Re: Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clicking dektop, and choosing "New"
That's nothing to do with Office, its a feature of your o/s settings
There are simpler ways of creating a new Office doc via shortcut
BTW why crosspost to an ME group, office 2007 doesn't run on ME

"Bill" <gnnh@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> In desperation, after not getting the answer on the Vista.Genearl group,
> I'm posting this to as many groups as I think may be able to help as I
> suspect that the problem could occur in any MS operating system and is not
> Vista specific. It might just even be associated with MS Word itself.
>
> The problem is as stated in the subject. After I did a factory reformat
> of a pre-installed Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire L3600 and
> re-installed my apps, including MS Office 2007 Plus I found that when I
> right-click the desktop and choose "New", most of options to open a new
> folder, shortcut, Bitmap Image and documents in the Office suite are there
> except for MS Word. It used to be there, now it's not and as far as I can
> see it is the only one missing. In fact Word shows up when I installed MS
> Office on my wife's Dell laptop as a test. I've un- and re-installed the
> entire Office suite to no avail. How has this happened, but more
> importantly, how can I get it back in the list? It's the feature of the
> right-click procedure, other than opening a new folder, that I find the
> most useful.
>
> Fingers crossed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill

David H. Lipman

Re: Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clicking dektop, and choosing "New"
From: "Bill" <gnnh@bigpond.com>

| In desperation, after not getting the answer on the Vista.Genearl group,
I'm
| posting this to as many groups as I think may be able to help as I suspect

< plonk >

--
Dave

Rey Santos

RE: Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clicking d
Add Word/Excel 97-2003 Documents Back to the "New" Context Menu After
Installing Office 2007
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/micro...g-office-2007/

--
Rey

"Bill" wrote:

> In desperation, after not getting the answer on the Vista.Genearl group, I'm
> posting this to as many groups as I think may be able to help as I suspect
> that the problem could occur in any MS operating system and is not Vista
> specific. It might just even be associated with MS Word itself.
>
> The problem is as stated in the subject. After I did a factory reformat of
> a pre-installed Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire L3600 and re-installed
> my apps, including MS Office 2007 Plus I found that when I right-click the
> desktop and choose "New", most of options to open a new folder, shortcut,
> Bitmap Image and documents in the Office suite are there except for MS Word.
> It used to be there, now it's not and as far as I can see it is the only one
> missing. In fact Word shows up when I installed MS Office on my wife's Dell
> laptop as a test. I've un- and re-installed the entire Office suite to no
> avail. How has this happened, but more importantly, how can I get it back
> in the list? It's the feature of the right-click procedure, other than
> opening a new folder, that I find the most useful.
>
> Fingers crossed.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill
>
> .

Bernd

Re: Disappearance of option to open new Word doc when right-clickingd

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Add Word/Excel 97-2003 Documents Back to the "New" Context Menu After
> Installing Office 2007
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/micro...g-office-2007/

But in the OPs case one will need

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx\Word.Document.12\ShellNew

Bernd