Restore Won't Find Backup Set!

victorcamp

Restore Won't Find Backup Set!
On Windows Vista Ultimate I made a complete backup using the Backup and
Restore Center ("Back up computer") to a USB 100Gb portable drive. It went
fine, and the drive shows a WindowsImageBackup folder on its root. It totals
about 65Gb. 2 days later that laptop crashed and I got another laptop with
the same Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to restore some selected files
(client work, not system or application) to the new laptop.

When I choose Advanced Restore -> Advanced Restore -> Files from a backup
made on a different computer -> Hard disk, CD, or DVD -> PHOTON F: (the name
of the USB 100Gb drive with the backup), it says:
Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\.
Please select a different location.

I searched for other posts, but didn't find one dealing with a selective
restore.

The drive and its subfolders are all visible with Explorer, so it's
definately there. What can I do to make it recognize it? I need those
files!!!

victorcamp

Re: Restore Won't Find Backup Set! SOLVED!
I did some deeper searching on other newsgroups and found the solution!

The .VHD file is clearly accessible on the portable drive, so using the help
found in the links below, I managed to get full access to it so that I could
copy selected files to my real hard drive just using Explorer.

1. This very helpful article let me know that I needed Microsoft Virtual
Server -- a Vista compatible product.
http://community.bartdesmet.net/blog...9/02/4385.aspx

2. I downloaded and installed the "Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 Beta" from
Microsoft Connect at this link:
https://connect.microsoft.com/Downlo...spx?SiteID=151

3. It required me to have activated the Windows Vista components for
Internet Information Services (IIS), which I did via Programs and Features
off the Control Panel. (That is, the first time I tried the install, it
didn't quite complete. After activating everything, I tried it again and it
completed successfully.)

4. I then used the vhdmount utility, described in the article, to
successfully mount that .VHD file as a virtual drive. The drive's root
directory then appeared in Explorer under the drive letter I assigned it: my
entire old C: drive.

5. After a time-consuming assortment of administrative permission
adjustments so I that could look at, access, and copy, I got my files!

6. I also followed the instructions in this help article for future ease of
mounting the drive:
http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy...01/734435.aspx

Thanks to the previous posters for their help.

"victorcamp" <victor.campbell@timbercreek.com> wrote in message
> On Windows Vista Ultimate I made a complete backup using the Backup and
> Restore Center ("Back up computer") to a USB 100Gb portable drive. It went
> fine, and the drive shows a WindowsImageBackup folder on its root. It
> totals about 65Gb. 2 days later that laptop crashed and I got another
> laptop with the same Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to restore some
> selected files (client work, not system or application) to the new laptop.
>
> When I choose Advanced Restore -> Advanced Restore -> Files from a backup
> made on a different computer -> Hard disk, CD, or DVD -> PHOTON F: (the
> name of the USB 100Gb drive with the backup), it says:
> Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\.
> Please select a different location.
>
> I searched for other posts, but didn't find one dealing with a selective
> restore.
>
> The drive and its subfolders are all visible with Explorer, so it's
> definately there. What can I do to make it recognize it? I need those
> files!!!

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Restore Won't Find Backup Set!
Looks like you are using two different programs here. You made a backup
using Complete PC Backup, but you were trying to restore using the File
Backup tool. Complete PC Backup does not include support for restoring
individual files, although from your other post you did find a workaround to
this.

"victorcamp" <victor.campbell@timbercreek.com> wrote in message
> On Windows Vista Ultimate I made a complete backup using the Backup and
> Restore Center ("Back up computer") to a USB 100Gb portable drive. It went
> fine, and the drive shows a WindowsImageBackup folder on its root. It
> totals about 65Gb. 2 days later that laptop crashed and I got another
> laptop with the same Windows Vista Ultimate. I want to restore some
> selected files (client work, not system or application) to the new laptop.
>
> When I choose Advanced Restore -> Advanced Restore -> Files from a backup
> made on a different computer -> Hard disk, CD, or DVD -> PHOTON F: (the
> name of the USB 100Gb drive with the backup), it says:
> Windows was not able to find any backup sets on F:\.
> Please select a different location.
>
> I searched for other posts, but didn't find one dealing with a selective
> restore.
>
> The drive and its subfolders are all visible with Explorer, so it's
> definately there. What can I do to make it recognize it? I need those
> files!!!

mrfoo_2007

Re: Restore Won't Find Backup Set!

Thanks for the tip.

FYI, I found that if you turn off the web application option during
installation, you don't have to bother with IIS. I disabled all
options except vhdmount and it works.

--
mrfoo_2007
mrfoo_2007's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30777

http://forums.techarena.in

scvsmark is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Restore Won't Find Backup Set!
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorcamp View Post
[...]

I have been refferred to this site by an HP customer service rep since everyone I talk to is lost. I paid an additional $150 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate from Home Premium soley for the Complete Image feature. Recently I had gone to T-Mobile to download Blackberry Desktop Manager to install on my new laptop of only two weeks. For some reason the download hung up at 211MB of 212MB. I eventually started task manager to end the download and start over. Well, that was a mistake. ALL of my x86 files and folders disapeared.
Good thing I did a full system image in Backup & Restore, right? Huh. What a joke. It took me a FULL eight hours to get back to where I was. Good thing I've only had the computer for only two weeks. But I'm in school and had just sold my X205-SLi5 Toshiba on eBay and copied everything over just the day before. So, all my homework was gone. Bummer.
HP wasn't very helpful on this situation at all. In fact, before I purchased this item HP support told me that RAID is an option in the BIOS when in fact it is NOT. They straight up lied to me. They've strung me along to wait for a new BIOS update and now since that has been released they don't even want to talk to me. Award Winning Support. Pffft. My HDX18t is nice but I wouldn't have purchased this if I had known what I know now.
Now down to the cure:
I eventually called and paid $59 to Microsoft for help. Very simple guys. All you need is a factory Vista install disc. Any will do;You can use a Vista Basic disc to install Vista Ultimate. However, if you're like me and you have an HP recovery set then you're SOL. Well, not really but Laptop recovery media won't work. Luckily since I'm going to school for computer technology and networking at a school that has a partnership with Microsoft, I have access to free Microsoft downloads and product keys. Lucky me, right? NOT. HP got in my way once again. The HP Recovery Manager overrode the Microsoft disc and took over. I demanded a $150 refund for my Vista Ultimate upgrade to whom of which basically laughed at me.
I did find the cure though. While Windows was loading I did a hard shut down twice in a row. Low and behold the Windows Startup Repair option came up. WTF. Finally I was able to get the repair options box:

*Startup Repair
*System Restore
*Complete PC Backup
*Windows Memory Diagnostics
*Command Prompt
*Rcovery Manager (64 bit)

With my external hard drive connected via eSATA my full image restore took about twenty minutes. Now, with HP Recovery Manager there is another option I've found other then hard shutting down. In All Programs click: Recovery Manager>Recovery Manager and then Continue for UAC. Next: Advanced Options, Select 'Remove recovery partition' and then Next to continue. The rest should be self explanatory from there.
So, Windows Complete Backup & Restore isn't a dummy feature after all!! Good luck.