Checkdisk??

Huib

Checkdisk??
Hi,
I wanted to see how the checkdisk was working.
But he asked to plan it after restart because the disc was in use.
I said yes....and he started to perform it after restart.

Like the defragmentation it runs for a long time very long time.

But defragmentation one can stop....

My questions:
-if one has said yes...can it be cancelled and where?
-once it is started can it be stopped and it yes how?

Regards
Huib

Victek

Re: Checkdisk??

"Huib" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I wanted to see how the checkdisk was working.
> But he asked to plan it after restart because the disc was in use.
> I said yes....and he started to perform it after restart.
>
> Like the defragmentation it runs for a long time very long time.
>
> But defragmentation one can stop....
>
> My questions:
> -if one has said yes...can it be cancelled and where?
> -once it is started can it be stopped and it yes how?
>
> Regards
> Huib

The short answer is No, it cannot be safely interrupted AFAIK. There are
two options though. Normally I just select the "automatically fix error's"
box which results in a shorter scan. If you also check the "attempt
recovery of bad sectors" box then it can take a very long time depending on
how large the disk is. I schedule my scans before coffee breaks, etc. so
I'm not waiting for them to finish.

Huib

Re: Checkdisk??

"Victek" <abc@xyz.com> schreef in bericht

> "Huib" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to see how the checkdisk was working.
>> But he asked to plan it after restart because the disc was in use.
>> I said yes....and he started to perform it after restart.
>>
>> Like the defragmentation it runs for a long time very long time.
>>
>> But defragmentation one can stop....
>>
>> My questions:
>> -if one has said yes...can it be cancelled and where?
>> -once it is started can it be stopped and it yes how?
>>
>> Regards
>> Huib
>>

> The short answer is No, it cannot be safely interrupted AFAIK. There are
> two options though. Normally I just select the "automatically fix
> error's" box which results in a shorter scan. If you also check the
> "attempt recovery of bad sectors" box then it can take a very long time
> depending on how large the disk is. I schedule my scans before coffee
> breaks, etc. so I'm not waiting for them to finish.

Hi, thanks
I selected both which is indeed not needed.
For the C-disk (operating systeem) it can only be done after the restart ,
the other data partitions starts immediately.

Thanks.
Huib