sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine

Mister Scary

sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine
When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I can
see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up under the
PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back when there
were two machines running XP.

I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.

Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

http://www.eset.com

MilesAhead

Re: sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine

Mister Scary;1250273 Wrote:
> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
> can
> see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up under
> the
> PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back when
> there
> were two machines running XP.
>
> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>
> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

> 'ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection'
> (http://www.eset.com)

It would be helpful if you gave the printer make and model.

--
MilesAhead

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx
::
::
Mister Scary

"MilesAhead" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Mister Scary;1250273 Wrote:
>> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
>> can
>> see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up under
>> the
>> PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back when
>> there
>> were two machines running XP.
>>
>> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>>
>> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

>> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

>> 'ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection'
>> (http://www.eset.com)

> It would be helpful if you gave the printer make and model.
>

> --
> MilesAhead

HP laserjet 1018

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4999 (20100404) __________

http://www.eset.com

Rick Rogers

Re: sharing printer attched to x64 Vista machine with x86 XP machine
Hi,

Open the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel on the x64 machine.
Ensure that printer sharing is turned on, this will allow it to show through
the firewall.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I can
> see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up under the
> PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back when there
> were two machines running XP.
>
> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>
> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

> http://www.eset.com

Rich Piehl

On 4/4/2010 12:16 PM, Mister Scary wrote:
> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
> can see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up
> under the PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back
> when there were two machines running XP.
>
> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>
> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

> http://www.eset.com

The printer won't show up with a standard BROWSE function even if
printer sharing is on.

You have to manually key the path to the printer on the Vista Machine
(ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) You must know the exact name assigned to the
printer by the Vista machine for it to be found by the network.

Mister Scary

"Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHISFOR@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
> On 4/4/2010 12:16 PM, Mister Scary wrote:
>> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
>> can see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up
>> under the PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back
>> when there were two machines running XP.
>>
>> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>>
>> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

>> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

> The printer won't show up with a standard BROWSE function even if printer
> sharing is on.
>
> You have to manually key the path to the printer on the Vista Machine
> (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) You must know the exact name assigned to the
> printer by the Vista machine for it to be found by the network.

When I try this I get a Windows dialog asking for a username and password to
access the x64 machine.
I haven't set a username and password on the x64 machine. Are you sure this
method works with Vista
Home Premium?
It seams like a server functionality.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

http://www.eset.com

Rich Piehl

On 4/5/2010 7:46 PM, Mister Scary wrote:

> "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHISFOR@NOSPAMcharter.net> wrote in message
>> On 4/4/2010 12:16 PM, Mister Scary wrote:
>>> When I browse for a printer on the network I can see the workgroup, I
>>> can see the PC with the printer, but I don't see the printer show up
>>> under the PC in the Add Printer Wizard dialog. This was easy for me back
>>> when there were two machines running XP.
>>>
>>> I have installed the x86 printer driver on the Vista machine.
>>>
>>> Would this be easier if I upgraded the Vista machine to Windows 7?

>>> signature database 4998 (20100404) __________

>>> http://www.eset.com
>>>

>> The printer won't show up with a standard BROWSE function even if
>> printer sharing is on.
>>
>> You have to manually key the path to the printer on the Vista Machine
>> (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) You must know the exact name assigned to the
>> printer by the Vista machine for it to be found by the network.
>>

> When I try this I get a Windows dialog asking for a username and
> password to access the x64 machine.
> I haven't set a username and password on the x64 machine. Are you sure
> this method works with Vista
> Home Premium?
> It seams like a server functionality.

> signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

> http://www.eset.com

It worked for my Windows Home premium x64 and two XP SP3 machines. I
spent several months trying to figure out the problem, and getting the
login message

Also if you have left your Vista workgroup name as default you will need
to change the workgroup name on the XP machine to "Workgroup" under My
Computer/Properties/network ID.

Mister Scary;1250792 Wrote:
> "Rich Piehl" <rpiehl5REMOVETHISFOR@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:AFoun.121458$K81.27008@newsgroup> > >
> > > back

> > > (http://www.eset.com)
> > > >>

> > > The printer won't show up with a standard BROWSE function even if

> > printer
> > > sharing is on.
> > >
> > > You have to manually key the path to the printer on the Vista

> > Machine
> > > (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2) You must know the exact name assigned to

> > the
> > > printer by the Vista machine for it to be found by the network.

> password to
> access the x64 machine.
> I haven't set a username and password on the x64 machine. Are you
> sure this
> method works with Vista
> Home Premium?
> It seams like a server functionality.

> signature database 5002 (20100405) __________

> 'ESET - Antivirus Software with Spyware and Malware Protection'
> (http://www.eset.com)

Are you running Vista pre SP1 by any chance? If so, you may need to use
the work-around of creating a virtual port on the Vista PC. Create a
virtual port for LPT1 on the Vista PC and set it to the name of the
shared printer (e.g. \\machinename\printer)