Windows Mail

Lord Takyon

Windows Mail
Windows Mail has developed a most irritating bug. Every single newsgroup
message I select will download fast, as usual, but then it pops up like it
should and vanishes. Both cores of my CPU hit 50% for around 4 or 5 seconds
and then the message will re-appear.

This issue was evident for me previously but vanished after a reformat. I
have reset all my groups, done the maintenance and deleted all messages etc.
I even tried removing my NG server but this still did not fix it.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I have confirmed it is Win Mail using the CPU, nothing else.

--
Join our distributed computing project.
Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Steve Pearce

Re: Windows Mail
On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:12:25 +0100, "Lord Takyon"
<takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Any suggestions?

Use a proper newsgroup reader?
mikeyhsd

Re: Windows Mail
if you have mcafee and/or norton, they are known to cause unusual problems with vista wm.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Steve Pearce" <*stevepearce@btinternet.com*> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:12:25 +0100, "Lord Takyon"
> <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Any suggestions?

> Use a proper newsgroup reader?

Ok then, let me rephrase, any suggestions that are constructive and from
non-plebs?

"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@comcast.net> wrote in message news:uNbOuy$kHHA.4644@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Mcafee or Norton will never be installed on this machine, I like it to work. Seriously though, I have since my last post eliminated AV as the problem, I am using AVG.

--
Join our distributed computing project.
Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
GTS

Re: Windows Mail
There have been many threads on this in the ...vista.mail newsgroup. For
most it is due to a problem with the recently released KB931768 Windows
update. Uninstalling it usually resolves the problem. Hopefully MS will be
reissuing a fixed version of this update later.

"Lord Takyon" <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Windows Mail has developed a most irritating bug. Every single newsgroup
> message I select will download fast, as usual, but then it pops up like it
> should and vanishes. Both cores of my CPU hit 50% for around 4 or 5
> seconds and then the message will re-appear.
>
> This issue was evident for me previously but vanished after a reformat. I
> have reset all my groups, done the maintenance and deleted all messages
> etc. I even tried removing my NG server but this still did not fix it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> P.S. I have confirmed it is Win Mail using the CPU, nothing else.
>
> --
> Join our distributed computing project.
> Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Bob Young

RE: Windows Mail
I have a corrupted mail store. How do fix it?

--
Bob Young

"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
> There have been many threads on this in the ...vista.mail newsgroup. For
> most it is due to a problem with the recently released KB931768 Windows
> update. Uninstalling it usually resolves the problem. Hopefully MS will
> be reissuing a fixed version of this update later.
>
> "Lord Takyon" <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Windows Mail has developed a most irritating bug. Every single newsgroup
>> message I select will download fast, as usual, but then it pops up like
>> it should and vanishes. Both cores of my CPU hit 50% for around 4 or 5
>> seconds and then the message will re-appear.
>>
>> This issue was evident for me previously but vanished after a reformat.
>> I have reset all my groups, done the maintenance and deleted all messages
>> etc. I even tried removing my NG server but this still did not fix it.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> P.S. I have confirmed it is Win Mail using the CPU, nothing else.
>>
>> --
>> Join our distributed computing project.
>> Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Removing the update did the trick, thank you very much. I know ppl do not
like the built in clients of Windows, but I have basic need for email and
newsgroups, and it does the trick just fine.

How did an IE7 update mess up WinMail anyhow?

--
Join our distributed computing project.
Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

GTS

Re: Windows Mail
You're welcome.
You raise an interesting question with a long and complicated history.
Years ago MS contrived a superficial and inept integration of Internet
Explorer 4 with Windows 98 exclusively for anticompetitive purposes. As the
years have gone by they have increasingly integrated application software
functionality into the OS. This has an ongoing affect of undermining
security and of negative side affects on OS quality and stability. Changes
to applications programs like IE or Media Player can easily impact broader
aspects of the OS.

> Removing the update did the trick, thank you very much. I know ppl do not
> like the built in clients of Windows, but I have basic need for email and
> newsgroups, and it does the trick just fine.
>
> How did an IE7 update mess up WinMail anyhow?
>
> --
> Join our distributed computing project.
> Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

M.Peco

Re: Windows Mail

> "Steve Pearce" <*stevepearce@btinternet.com*> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:12:25 +0100, "Lord Takyon"
>> <takyon@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Any suggestions?

>> Use a proper newsgroup reader?

> Ok then, let me rephrase, any suggestions that are constructive and from
> non-plebs?

You wrote earlier , in another post - I quote: "Afraid my 'nothing' is
working OK".

It seems that your 'nothing' is not working OK.

M.Peco, a " pleb "