PC Shuts down-Vista

Karen

PC Shuts down-Vista
Hi
I have Vista and for an unknown reason the pc shuts itself down, sometimes
after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. This has only been happening
since we cleaned the dust out of the base unit which we did do carefully.
I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated norton and
done a full scan (of which took several hours and the pc stayed on) all fans
seem to be working.
Nothing seems to trigger it in particular and timings are different.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Thankyou
James@nowhere.com

Re: PC Shuts down-Vista
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:41:01 -0800, Karen
<Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I have Vista and for an unknown reason the pc shuts itself down, sometimes
>after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. This has only been happening
>since we cleaned the dust out of the base unit which we did do carefully.
>I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated norton and
>done a full scan (of which took several hours and the pc stayed on) all fans
>seem to be working.
>Nothing seems to trigger it in particular and timings are different.
>Any ideas would be welcome.
>
>Thankyou

Mine does that too from time to time. I can't find a reason for it.
There is nothing in the event log. Have you checked your event log?
Have you run a virus/malware scan?

Please ost your results if you would.
Questor

Re: PC Shuts down-Vista
--->
> Hi
> I have Vista and for an unknown reason the pc shuts itself down, sometimes
> after 45 mins, 30 mins, sometimes after 10 mins. This has only been happening
> since we cleaned the dust out of the base unit which we did do carefully.
> I have tried system restore, downloaded windows updates, updated norton and
> done a full scan (of which took several hours and the pc stayed on) all fans
> seem to be working.
> Nothing seems to trigger it in particular and timings are different.
> Any ideas would be welcome.
>
> Thankyou

When you cleaned the dust out, did you happen to bump any of the RAM
modules, or perhaps any of the cards plugged in to the motherboard?
Re-seating the cards may help.

Have you recently added any cards to the computer? If you have, your
power supply may be overheating. When you blew the dust out, did you
check for airflow through the power supply?

Are you doing anything in particular when the computer shuts down?
Perhaps playing a video-intensive game? If you have an off-motherboard
video card that has a fan on it have you made sure it is turning properly?

Try running the computer with the side panel(s) removed. If the
shutdown doesn't happen, then you do have a heat problem.

Questor
TheDuck

Re: PC Shuts down-Vista
If you used a vacuum to clean the dust out every time you touch any part of
the logic you stand a chance of damage as the vacuum generates an enormous
amount of static.

Open it up and reseat the memory and any cards. I hope you didn't pull the
processer fan to clean, if so you need to reset the thermal coating.

Now press F8 on boot up and on the safe mode screen select the option to not
reboot on blue screen errors. This way if it is blue screen it will freeze.

Try to find a system board monitor to monitor CPU and board temperature.

By shutting down do you mean it is doing a shutdown, rebooting, or just
powering off