Power Options

The Learner

Power Options
I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
for a solution?
GSalisbury

Re: Power Options

"The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
> for a solution?

Control Panel / Power Options

Gene E. Bloch

Re: Power Options
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:

> "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
>> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
>> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
>> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
>> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
>> for a solution?

> Control Panel / Power Options

Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
recently stopped working?

I would be glad to offer a suggestion to the OP, but I often have the same
problem (not consistently, unfortunately) and haven't solved it.

I have a thought that the Windows Search Indexer is implicated, but I'm not
sure. And previously I had a wireless mouse & keyboard that added a
reproducible 5 minute delay to the Screen Saver and Screen Dark
timeouts...The new KB & mouse don't have that problem. Weird...

BTW, I'm running 7, not Vista.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
GSalisbury

Re: Power Options

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:
>
>> "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>>> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power
>>> settings
>>> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
>>> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
>>> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
>>> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied.
>>> Suggestions
>>> for a solution?

>> Control Panel / Power Options

> Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
> recently stopped working?

Yes I did.
He also said "I haven't checked the other ...".
I was [trying to] encourage him to go back and check/set/toggle etc. the
options to verify the effect.

<invalid.salsburyg@comcast.net.invalid> wrote:

>"The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>news:egi0p51rg8ke7l3bcbiae1rj09g1c3dlrg@4ax.com.. .
>> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
>> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
>> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
>> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
>> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
>> for a solution?

>Control Panel / Power Options

Please read my post. I know how to use the Control Panel. Thanks for
the feedback anyway
The Learner

Re: Power Options
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:26:57 -0800, "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid>
wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:
>
>> "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>>> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
>>> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
>>> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
>>> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
>>> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
>>> for a solution?

>> Control Panel / Power Options

>Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
>recently stopped working?
>
>I would be glad to offer a suggestion to the OP, but I often have the same
>problem (not consistently, unfortunately) and haven't solved it.
>
>I have a thought that the Windows Search Indexer is implicated, but I'm not
>sure. And previously I had a wireless mouse & keyboard that added a
>reproducible 5 minute delay to the Screen Saver and Screen Dark
>timeouts...The new KB & mouse don't have that problem. Weird...
>
>BTW, I'm running 7, not Vista.

Thanks, Gene. I might have found another way to solve the problem. After
I check it out, I'll let you know.
Gene E. Bloch

Re: Power Options
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 09:13:12 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:

> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:
>>
>>> "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Control Panel / Power Options

>> Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
>> recently stopped working?

> Yes I did.
> He also said "I haven't checked the other ...".
> I was [trying to] encourage him to go back and check/set/toggle etc. the
> options to verify the effect.

OK. I have to agree with you, then - we all need encouragement sometimes.
Sorry for being snappish...

Now I have to read the rest of the new posts to see if I can learn anything
new about the problem :-)

>> I would be glad to offer a suggestion to the OP, but I often have the same
>> problem (not consistently, unfortunately) and haven't solved it.
>>
>> I have a thought that the Windows Search Indexer is implicated, but I'm
>> not
>> sure. And previously I had a wireless mouse & keyboard that added a
>> reproducible 5 minute delay to the Screen Saver and Screen Dark
>> timeouts...The new KB & mouse don't have that problem. Weird...
>>
>> BTW, I'm running 7, not Vista.
>>
>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Steven L.

Re: Power Options

"Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:
>
> > "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
> >> I have an HP laptop using Vista SP-2. Until recently, the power settings
> >> worked the way I set them (especially shutting off the display after 15
> >> minutes of idle time). Now, this particular setting doesn't work (the
> >> display stays on all the time). I haven't checked the other settings
> >> yet. Tried Google but couldn't find anything that applied. Suggestions
> >> for a solution?

> > Control Panel / Power Options

> Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
> recently stopped working?
>
> I would be glad to offer a suggestion to the OP, but I often have the same
> problem (not consistently, unfortunately) and haven't solved it.
>
> I have a thought that the Windows Search Indexer is implicated, but I'm not
> sure. And previously I had a wireless mouse & keyboard that added a
> reproducible 5 minute delay to the Screen Saver and Screen Dark
> timeouts...The new KB & mouse don't have that problem. Weird...

Another thing that's implicated is Windows Update.

If you have your computer set to automatically download updates from
Microsoft (whether or not you choose to automatically install them),
Windows Update seems to wake up the computer out of a sound sleep to
accept the new Updates onto its hard drive.

And yet another thing that's implicated are some virus checkers.
Norton, in particular, uses idle time to scan for malware and cookies.
It will wake up the computer to accomplish this.

-- Steven L.

witan

Re: Power Options
"Steven L." <sdlitvin@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:X46dneSWVL6ZRA7WnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@earthlink.co m...

> "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote in message
>
>> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:42:34 -0500, GSalisbury wrote:
>>
>> > "The Learner" <moron@newsgroups.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Control Panel / Power Options

>> Did you notice that he has already set the power options, but that they
>> recently stopped working?
>>
>> I would be glad to offer a suggestion to the OP, but I often have the
>> same
>> problem (not consistently, unfortunately) and haven't solved it.
>>
>> I have a thought that the Windows Search Indexer is implicated, but I'm
>> not
>> sure. And previously I had a wireless mouse & keyboard that added a
>> reproducible 5 minute delay to the Screen Saver and Screen Dark
>> timeouts...The new KB & mouse don't have that problem. Weird...

> Another thing that's implicated is Windows Update.
>
> If you have your computer set to automatically download updates from
> Microsoft (whether or not you choose to automatically install them),
> Windows Update seems to wake up the computer out of a sound sleep to
> accept the new Updates onto its hard drive.
>
> And yet another thing that's implicated are some virus checkers. Norton,
> in particular, uses idle time to scan for malware and cookies. It will
> wake up the computer to accomplish this.
>

> -- Steven L.

I have been having the same problem, on and off. It seems to have something
to do with applications that are running. If all applications are minimized,
the screensaver does kick in after the set time.

Re: Power Options
Applications can mark their threads as not idle. This is how Media Player
disables the screensaver while playing video.

--
..