Major problems booting up, uninstalling software, and shutting dow

CGS

Major problems booting up, uninstalling software, and shutting dow
I have an HP dv6358se that came with Vista. As soon as we tried to network
the new machine with my desktop (with XP), major problems began. Could not
get the machines to recognize one another. The worst part is that now my
Vista machine is having trouble booting up and shutting down. Also had
trouble uninstalling programs it came with i don't want.

Help! I don't care much about the networking, but I need this machine to
quit giving me problems booting up and shutting down. Today it tried for
over 2 hours to shut down.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Major problems booting up, uninstalling software, and shutting dow
If this is a new computer, take it back for replacement or warranty repair
work.

"CGS" <CGS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an HP dv6358se that came with Vista. As soon as we tried to network
> the new machine with my desktop (with XP), major problems began. Could
> not
> get the machines to recognize one another. The worst part is that now my
> Vista machine is having trouble booting up and shutting down. Also had
> trouble uninstalling programs it came with i don't want.
>
> Help! I don't care much about the networking, but I need this machine to
> quit giving me problems booting up and shutting down. Today it tried for
> over 2 hours to shut down.

MrSlartybartfast

RE: Major problems booting up, uninstalling software, and shutting dow
If the computer is fairly new then you probably don't have much information
stored on there yet. The easiest thing to do is to bakup your data onto cd's
and reinstall Vista. Problem solvered.

If you want to network Vista and XP you must change the "workgroup" of each
computer so that it is the same. With WindowsXP home edition the default
workgroup is "mshome". With WindowsXP Pro and with WindowsVista the default
workgroup is "workgroup". If you run the "network setup wizard" on both
computers making sure that the workgroup is the same on each then you will
have no problems.

--

"CGS" wrote:

> I have an HP dv6358se that came with Vista. As soon as we tried to network
> the new machine with my desktop (with XP), major problems began. Could not
> get the machines to recognize one another. The worst part is that now my
> Vista machine is having trouble booting up and shutting down. Also had
> trouble uninstalling programs it came with i don't want.
>
> Help! I don't care much about the networking, but I need this machine to
> quit giving me problems booting up and shutting down. Today it tried for
> over 2 hours to shut down.

AJR

Re: Major problems booting up, uninstalling software, and shutting dow
You state "major problems", "trouble booting and shutdown", uninstalling
programs", etc. without details such as error messages, type screen output
and so forth.