Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007
MrSlartybartfast
 

Posts: n/a
Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login screen
to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I am
guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot find
the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.

There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a workaround
but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same thing?

**System Components**
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
Speakers: Logitech z5500
Input: USB keyboard and mouse
Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-10-2007
swasrfa007
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
Try disabling these programs from startup
Click "Start" -> "Run" ->type in "msconfig"
-> Start Up Programs -> disable the ones u want to ->restart your PC

If the problem remains
reply here
there is another way.

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
> good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login screen
> to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
> slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
> have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I am
> guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot find
> the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
> startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
> Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
>
> There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a workaround
> but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same thing?
>
> **System Components**
> CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
> GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
> Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
> RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
> Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
> Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
> Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
> TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
> Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
> Speakers: Logitech z5500
> Input: USB keyboard and mouse
> Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
> CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
Turn off Defender and note results.

"MrSlartybartfast" <MrSlartybartfast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:3CA2DC0D-DA5C-4572-A790-D464C6E70600@microsoft.com...
> My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
> good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login
> screen
> to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
> slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
> have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I
> am
> guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot
> find
> the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
> startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
> Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
>
> There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a
> workaround
> but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same
> thing?
>
> **System Components**
> CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
> GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
> Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
> RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
> Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
> Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
> Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
> TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
> Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
> Speakers: Logitech z5500
> Input: USB keyboard and mouse
> Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
> CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
MrSlartybartfast
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
I cannot disable any programs from startup using msconfig because this system
configuration utility is one of the programs which is blocked. I have
turned off WIndows Defender but the programs are still blocked and there is
no difference. If I create a new user and login on this new account then it
login in just a few seconds. If I enable the administrator account or my
normal account and login it will take the full 90secs.

I downloaded autoruns and this helped to remove all the unwanted programs
from startup and from the Windows Defender "software explorer" and so now I
only have 3programs which automatically start when Windows starts
(explorer.exe, msconfig.exe, userinit.exe). the strange part is that
msconfig.exe is blocked even when Windows Defender is turned off. It stlill
takes about 90secs to login even with only these 3programs starting up.

You mentioned there is another way, do you mind sharing what that is? or any
other suggestions, I will take anything?

--
Don''t sleep till your dead


"swasrfa007" wrote:

> Try disabling these programs from startup
> Click "Start" -> "Run" ->type in "msconfig"
> -> Start Up Programs -> disable the ones u want to ->restart your PC
>
> If the problem remains
> reply here
> there is another way.
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
> > My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
> > good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login screen
> > to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
> > slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
> > have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I am
> > guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot find
> > the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
> > startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
> > Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
> >
> > There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a workaround
> > but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same thing?
> >
> > **System Components**
> > CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
> > GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
> > Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
> > RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
> > Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
> > Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
> > Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
> > TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
> > Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
> > Speakers: Logitech z5500
> > Input: USB keyboard and mouse
> > Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
> > CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
MrSlartybartfast
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
I turn off Defender and when I reboot there is a security warning which says
"check my antispyware software status. Windows Defender is turned off" And
next to that message is another bubble which says "blocked startup programs"
Here is a link to a picture of the problem
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...rm_803348e.jpg

So I don't know how Windows Defender can be blocking programs when it is
turned off. I am guessing that this is all related to my long login times
but I cannot work out how to fix it.

Any more idea?
--



"AJR" wrote:

> Turn off Defender and note results.
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" <MrSlartybartfast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:3CA2DC0D-DA5C-4572-A790-D464C6E70600@microsoft.com...
> > My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
> > good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login
> > screen
> > to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
> > slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
> > have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I
> > am
> > guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot
> > find
> > the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
> > startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
> > Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
> >
> > There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a
> > workaround
> > but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same
> > thing?
> >
> > **System Components**
> > CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
> > GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
> > Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
> > RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
> > Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
> > Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
> > Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
> > TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
> > Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
> > Speakers: Logitech z5500
> > Input: USB keyboard and mouse
> > Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
> > CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-11-2007
swasrfa007
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
no matter u do have or dont have defender
windows vista will block msconfig.exe anyway
this is one of the vista security feature
anyway
u can disable msconfig.exe from startup!

First, restart or log off your pc then reboot or log in.
once u are logged in
if msconfig.exe is blocked, there is a little icon on the taskbar ( lower
right hand, next to the clock)
click it, run blocked program,
then msconfig.exe will pop out.
there is a box u can check (i am sorry i don't really remember what it says
on it cuz i am now running on a working PC so i cant use msconfig.exe)
it should say sth about disable it from the startup
check it, close msconfig.exe
then there u go!
It WON'T appear next time!

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> I cannot disable any programs from startup using msconfig because this system
> configuration utility is one of the programs which is blocked. I have
> turned off WIndows Defender but the programs are still blocked and there is
> no difference. If I create a new user and login on this new account then it
> login in just a few seconds. If I enable the administrator account or my
> normal account and login it will take the full 90secs.
>
> I downloaded autoruns and this helped to remove all the unwanted programs
> from startup and from the Windows Defender "software explorer" and so now I
> only have 3programs which automatically start when Windows starts
> (explorer.exe, msconfig.exe, userinit.exe). the strange part is that
> msconfig.exe is blocked even when Windows Defender is turned off. It stlill
> takes about 90secs to login even with only these 3programs starting up.
>
> You mentioned there is another way, do you mind sharing what that is? or any
> other suggestions, I will take anything?
>
> --
> Don''t sleep till your dead
>
>
> "swasrfa007" wrote:
>
> > Try disabling these programs from startup
> > Click "Start" -> "Run" ->type in "msconfig"
> > -> Start Up Programs -> disable the ones u want to ->restart your PC
> >
> > If the problem remains
> > reply here
> > there is another way.
> >
> > "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
> >
> > > My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is quite
> > > good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login screen
> > > to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be becoming
> > > slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs which I
> > > have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and I am
> > > guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot find
> > > the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a selective
> > > startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
> > > Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
> > >
> > > There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a workaround
> > > but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same thing?
> > >
> > > **System Components**
> > > CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
> > > GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
> > > Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
> > > RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
> > > Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
> > > Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
> > > Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
> > > TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
> > > Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
> > > Speakers: Logitech z5500
> > > Input: USB keyboard and mouse
> > > Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
> > > CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-12-2007
AJR
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows Defender Blocks Programs Which Have Been Uninstalled.
Some confusion here - "blocked startup programs" refers to startup items
(MSCONFIG>startup tab) which are considered security risks.
You can "uncheck" or remove the items. If programs were uninstalled
correctly the starup entries are removed.

Not at a Vista computer at the moment, however, if I remember correcly,
right-clicking the notification brings up a submenu of options.

"MrSlartybartfast" <MrSlartybartfast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CCDBDC4E-1B74-4D35-A625-D189398CA137@microsoft.com...
>I turn off Defender and when I reboot there is a security warning which
>says
> "check my antispyware software status. Windows Defender is turned off"
> And
> next to that message is another bubble which says "blocked startup
> programs"
> Here is a link to a picture of the problem
> http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...rm_803348e.jpg
>
> So I don't know how Windows Defender can be blocking programs when it is
> turned off. I am guessing that this is all related to my long login times
> but I cannot work out how to fix it.
>
> Any more idea?
> --
>
>
>
> "AJR" wrote:
>
>> Turn off Defender and note results.
>>
>> "MrSlartybartfast" <MrSlartybartfast@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:3CA2DC0D-DA5C-4572-A790-D464C6E70600@microsoft.com...
>> > My computer will boot to the login screen in about 30secs which is
>> > quite
>> > good. The problem is it takes a further 90secs to get from the login
>> > screen
>> > to the desktop. It never used to take this long and seems to be
>> > becoming
>> > slower. I have noticed that Windows Defender is blocking programs
>> > which I
>> > have already uninstalled (eg ntune.exe, rivatuner.exe, Steam.exe) and
>> > I
>> > am
>> > guessing that this is causing the delay because Windows Defender cannot
>> > find
>> > the files it is trying to block. I also notice that if I try a
>> > selective
>> > startup then Windows Defender will also block the System Configuration
>> > Utility and so I cannot do a clean boot.
>> >
>> > There must be other people with the same problem. I would like a
>> > workaround
>> > but would be happy just to know if anybody else experiencing the same
>> > thing?
>> >
>> > **System Components**
>> > CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 @2.4GHz
>> > GPU: nVidia 8800GTX, Driver 158.18
>> > Motherboard: ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP, BIOS 0910
>> > RAM: 4GB Corsair 4-4-4-12 2T 333MHz
>> > Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB Raptor
>> > Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, Driver 2.13.0002
>> > Power Supply: Thermaltake WO116 750W
>> > TV Tuner: DVico Fusion HDTV DVB-t Plus, driver 2.0.1.0
>> > Case: Thermaltake Kandalf VA9000SWA
>> > Speakers: Logitech z5500
>> > Input: USB keyboard and mouse
>> > Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate
>> > CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700NT

>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uninstalled programs left in Security Centre Scott microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 11 07-14-2007 21:44
Windows Defender vs. Startup Programs HELP! =?Utf-8?B?SmFjayBHcmlmZmlu?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 8 05-22-2007 22:52
Security Center shows uninstalled programs Dougbert microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 6 04-12-2007 20:10
Windows Defender Blocking Startup, but No Programs are Blocked =?Utf-8?B?R28gVm9scyBHbw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 4 12-30-2006 06:44




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:45.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120