Lost file association with exe files

Rod

Lost file association with exe files

The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the file
association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run exe files.
I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't figure out how
to fix the damage.

If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is an
exe file so I can't run it.

I've tried tricks like running it from command line or from inside a batch
file but with no joy.

I have also made a copy and called it regedit.com. This looked promising as
Vista asked for user permission to run the program, but then nothing. It
gets killed off before it starts.

I am not familiar with the particular machine, nor am I very familiar with
Vista and I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Any bright ideas?

many thanks

Rod

Dave-UK

Re: Lost file association with exe files

"Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#zGDMG7rKHA.4048@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

> The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the file
> association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run exe files.
> I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't figure out how
> to fix the damage.
>
> If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is an
> exe file so I can't run it.
>
> I've tried tricks like running it from command line or from inside a batch
> file but with no joy.
>
> I have also made a copy and called it regedit.com. This looked promising as
> Vista asked for user permission to run the program, but then nothing. It
> gets killed off before it starts.
>
> I am not familiar with the particular machine, nor am I very familiar with
> Vista and I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Any bright ideas?
>

> many thanks
>

> Rod

The exe fix here is what you want:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Rod

"Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote in message

> "Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the
>> file association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run
>> exe files. I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't
>> figure out how to fix the damage.
>>
>> If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is
>> an exe file so I can't run it.
>>
>> I've tried tricks like running it from command line or from inside a
>> batch file but with no joy.
>>
>> I have also made a copy and called it regedit.com. This looked promising
>> as Vista asked for user permission to run the program, but then nothing.
>> It gets killed off before it starts.
>>
>> I am not familiar with the particular machine, nor am I very familiar
>> with Vista and I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Any bright ideas?
>>

>> many thanks
>>

>> Rod
>>

> The exe fix here is what you want:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

That looks like the solution, many thanks. I can't try it at the moment as
am not near to the computer.

Won't the MERGE operation make a call to an exe?

"Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uc$6sW7rKHA.5568@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

> "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> The aftermath of a trojan attack (Vista Guardian) has resulted in the
>>> file association of exe files being lost and hence an inability to run
>>> exe files. I am quite convinced that the trojan is now dead, but I can't
>>> figure out how to fix the damage.
>>>
>>> If I could get into the registry I could fix it, but of course regedit is
>>> an exe file so I can't run it.
>>>
>>> I've tried tricks like running it from command line or from inside a
>>> batch file but with no joy.
>>>
>>> I have also made a copy and called it regedit.com. This looked promising
>>> as Vista asked for user permission to run the program, but then nothing.
>>> It gets killed off before it starts.
>>>
>>> I am not familiar with the particular machine, nor am I very familiar
>>> with Vista and I am now at a loss as to how to proceed. Any bright ideas?
>>>

>>> many thanks
>>>

>>> Rod
>>>

>> The exe fix here is what you want:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>

> That looks like the solution, many thanks. I can't try it at the moment as
> am not near to the computer.
>
> Won't the MERGE operation make a call to an exe?

I don't know about the Merge operation, but it fixed a problem I had when
somebody had associated exe files with Acrobat pdf files!

Gene E. Bloch

Re: Lost file association with exe files
On 2/17/10, Dave-UK posted:
> "Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The exe fix here is what you want:
>>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>>

>> That looks like the solution, many thanks. I can't try it at the moment as
>> am not near to the computer.
>>
>> Won't the MERGE operation make a call to an exe?
>>

> I don't know about the Merge operation, but it fixed a problem I had when
> somebody had associated exe files with Acrobat pdf files!

Which has recently happened here...Thanks for the fix, except I'm
running Win 7. We'll see what happens.

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com

Gene E. Bloch

Re: Lost file association with exe files
On 2/17/10, Gene E. Bloch posted:
> On 2/17/10, Dave-UK posted:
>> "Rod" <rodrodrodrod@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Dave-UK" <Here@Home.com> wrote in message

>>> That looks like the solution, many thanks. I can't try it at the moment as
>>> am not near to the computer.
>>>
>>> Won't the MERGE operation make a call to an exe?
>>>

>> I don't know about the Merge operation, but it fixed a problem I had when
>> somebody had associated exe files with Acrobat pdf files!

> Which has recently happened here...Thanks for the fix, except I'm running Win
> 7. We'll see what happens.

Maybe not...I recall that this only happens in the download dialog when
I am working in Firefox. Windows Explorer is OK.

In hopes of a clue, I'll still research the registry entries you
pointed to. This is a new phenomenon, and my bit of research so far has
revealed very little to me :-)

--
Gene Bloch 650.366.4267 lettersatblochg.com