Recovery Drive Gone

Wakener

Recovery Drive Gone

Hi--
After some major problems with my system, I had to perform a complete
reinstall of Vista. The folks from Dell talked me through it. But now,
in my My Computer window, where it used to show my 2 hard drives plus
the Recovery Drive, it no longer shows the Recovery Drive. I was
relatively sure that space was partitioned off of my C drive, but it's
not showing up. there's a possibility that a technician hid it while
remotely accessing my system. Is there a way for me to check? And if
there is no Recovery Drive, how much should I worry (it sure didn't help
me LAST time the computer needed restoring)? I am planning to get an
offsite backup a la Carbonite or an external drive for backups soon. For
all I know, that makes the Recovery Drive a moot point anyway, but I'm
not sure.

--
Wakener
DL

Re: Recovery Drive Gone
The recovery drive was created by Dell when your sys was supplied, it is
only used to recover the sys to factory supplied condition. Usually its
hidden. How you access any recovery drive depends on the PC maker.
If you have recovery disks, there is no need to worry about a recovery
drive.
(Recovery does not store your data)

"Wakener" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi--
> After some major problems with my system, I had to perform a complete
> reinstall of Vista. The folks from Dell talked me through it. But now,
> in my My Computer window, where it used to show my 2 hard drives plus
> the Recovery Drive, it no longer shows the Recovery Drive. I was
> relatively sure that space was partitioned off of my C drive, but it's
> not showing up. there's a possibility that a technician hid it while
> remotely accessing my system. Is there a way for me to check? And if
> there is no Recovery Drive, how much should I worry (it sure didn't help
> me LAST time the computer needed restoring)? I am planning to get an
> offsite backup a la Carbonite or an external drive for backups soon. For
> all I know, that makes the Recovery Drive a moot point anyway, but I'm
> not sure.
>

> --
> Wakener

Wakener

Re: Recovery Drive Gone

Thank you. Still, let's hope it's info I never need again. I was
fortunate enough to be able to evacuate my critical data to a fleet of
enclosed drives, But I don't want to deal with the endless re-installs
again. And for the record, I did have an offsite backup, but it was
notorious for being a poor one. I let it lapse, and was planing to get a
new one on the payday . . . after the problems decided to start.

--
Wakener
TheDuck

Re: Recovery Drive Gone
Get a good backup program like Ghost and develop good backup habits and you
won't have the problem. Trusting all your data to a backup site is dangerous
and unreliable as you found out.

> Thank you. Still, let's hope it's info I never need again. I was
> fortunate enough to be able to evacuate my critical data to a fleet of
> enclosed drives, But I don't want to deal with the endless re-installs
> again. And for the record, I did have an offsite backup, but it was
> notorious for being a poor one. I let it lapse, and was planing to get a
> new one on the payday . . . after the problems decided to start.
>

> --
> Wakener

Wakener

Re: Recovery Drive Gone

A program, maybe--Ghost, never. Past experience made me decide long ago
that I will never install another Norton product on any computer I own.
At first, it's all "Wow, it's taking care of everything!" But then,
within a few months, it's using over 75% of my computer's processing
power to do nothing but stay on and slow down everything else I try to
do.

--
Wakener
TheDuck

Re: Recovery Drive Gone
You are talking about Norton internet security ( and any other security
package ) that all tie up the system resources. Ghost is a backup program
and uses very little system resources. It can be set to dynamically back up
the system while you are still using it. It is solid and reliable.

You should really learn what you are talking about before you open your
mouth. Security packages try to cover every aspect of the system running
checks on all files opened and programs started therefore slowing down most
systems that have too many threads running in the background. They can be
tamed by selecting what pieces of them you want to allow to run.

> A program, maybe--Ghost, never. Past experience made me decide long ago
> that I will never install another Norton product on any computer I own.
> At first, it's all "Wow, it's taking care of everything!" But then,
> within a few months, it's using over 75% of my computer's processing
> power to do nothing but stay on and slow down everything else I try to
> do.
>

> --
> Wakener

eXistenZ

Re: Recovery Drive Gone
I use GHOST with no problems.
*But* I save the Ghost Image on my second hard drive
*not* on C

I also save a copy of the current image on an external drive just to be
safe.