Avast AV Scanner

Paul Calcagno

Avast AV Scanner
Not sure where to post this so here goes:

Can anyone comment on whether they think an Avast's AV scanner is any good.
I just got finished fixing a friends 2 month old Vista laptop that wouldn't
start up. I managed to boot it into `the last known good configuration' then
ran CCleaner, MBAM, SAS and Spybot. WU's were downlevel.

Just seems like with Avast running on this machine things got pretty screwed
up to the point where it wouldn't start normally at all. I don't think
Windows Defender was invoked either but it is now.

Comments?..........Paul C.

Dustin Harper

Re: Avast AV Scanner
Avast is usually very good. But, ALL anti-virus programs cannot get 100%
of viruses. A lot of it comes down to being smart with where you browse
and what you download. But, running MBAM and Spybot can help with a lot
of issues. You definitely have to make sure you have some kind of
schedule, though. Check weekly or whatever. If you never run a scan for
malware, and you just have a basic virus scanner (even up to date), a
couple things may slip through.

--

Dustin Harper
dharper@mstechpages.com
born2golf

Re: Avast AV Scanner

I have had no problem with Avast as of this date. I also use MBAM and
Superspyware and avoid going to unknown places or opening mail from
strange people.
I scan weekly and backup monthly.
Hopefully you will get your problem resolved soon.

--
born2golf

karnyks22 will become famous soon enough
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Avast AV Scanner
Paul Calcagno Hi.
I used Avast for a long time and was happy with it's performance until a major update was done to the program a few weeks ago. After the update I had some bugs develop. Rather than try (or wait for Avast) to fix the problems I uninstalled Avast and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials to try. (This is a free program) http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ Was very impressed and now use that as my main AV. I use MBAM every day or two just to check (quick scan) and if I suspect that I may have picked up something that MSE and MBAM has missed I run a free ESET online scan Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner If you suspect Avast is causing you problems uninstall it and try another AV.
Paul Calcagno

Re: Avast AV Scanner
Dustin, thanks a lot for your comments. I've given my friend a detail
explanation of how she should utilize all the scanners I installed for her.
Hopefully she'll follow my advice. I've told her that on my systems over the
past 5 years I've never had a virus or serious malware, so it can be done.
Paul C.

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@mstechpages.com> wrote in message
> Avast is usually very good. But, ALL anti-virus programs cannot get 100%
> of viruses. A lot of it comes down to being smart with where you browse
> and what you download. But, running MBAM and Spybot can help with a lot of
> issues. You definitely have to make sure you have some kind of schedule,
> though. Check weekly or whatever. If you never run a scan for malware, and
> you just have a basic virus scanner (even up to date), a couple things may
> slip through.
>
> On 2/13/2010 3:15 PM, Paul Calcagno wrote:
>> Not sure where to post this so here goes:
>>
>> Can anyone comment on whether they think an Avast's AV scanner is any
>> good. I just got finished fixing a friends 2 month old Vista laptop that
>> wouldn't start up. I managed to boot it into `the last known good
>> configuration' then ran CCleaner, MBAM, SAS and Spybot. WU's were
>> downlevel.
>>
>> Just seems like with Avast running on this machine things got pretty
>> screwed up to the point where it wouldn't start normally at all. I don't
>> think Windows Defender was invoked either but it is now.
>>
>> Comments?..........Paul C.

> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@mstechpages.com
> http://www.mstechpages.com | Microsoft news and support

Paul Calcagno

Re: Avast AV Scanner
Born2golf, thanks for your comments. I've given the person I helped detailed
instructions for how to run all these scanners I've installed. I can only
hope she'll follow my advice of updating/running them every 2 weeks or so.
Right now her laptop is back to working just fine so doing the reboot to the
`last known configuration' seems to have fixed her immediate problem.
She'll be running the Spybot, MBAM, SAS and Avira scanners over the next few
days so we'll see what these catch. Paul C

"born2golf" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have had no problem with Avast as of this date. I also use MBAM and
> Superspyware and avoid going to unknown places or opening mail from
> strange people.
> I scan weekly and backup monthly.
> Hopefully you will get your problem resolved soon.
>

> --
> born2golf

Poutnik

Re: Avast AV Scanner
In article <karnyks22.46cz08@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com>,
karnyks22.46cz08@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com says...

> Paul Calcagno Hi.
> I used Avast for a long time and was happy with it's performance until
> a major update was done to the program a few weeks ago. After the update
> I had some bugs develop. Rather than try (or wait for Avast) to fix the
> problems I uninstalled Avast and downloaded Microsoft Security

Hmm, by major update do mean still avast 4.8,
or incoming still beta Avast 5 ?

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Avast AV Scanner
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:21:04 -0800, Dustin Harper
<dharper@mstechpages.com> wrote:

> Avast is usually very good.

Yes.

> But, ALL anti-virus programs cannot get 100%
> of viruses.

Right.

> A lot of it comes down to being smart with where you browse
> and what you download.

.... and what e-mail attachments you open.

> But, running MBAM and Spybot can help with a lot
> of issues. You definitely have to make sure you have some kind of
> schedule, though. Check weekly or whatever. If you never run a scan for
> malware, and you just have a basic virus scanner (even up to date), a
> couple things may slip through.
>
> On 2/13/2010 3:15 PM, Paul Calcagno wrote:
> > Not sure where to post this so here goes:
> >
> > Can anyone comment on whether they think an Avast's AV scanner is any
> > good. I just got finished fixing a friends 2 month old Vista laptop that
> > wouldn't start up. I managed to boot it into `the last known good
> > configuration' then ran CCleaner, MBAM, SAS and Spybot. WU's were
> > downlevel.
> >
> > Just seems like with Avast running on this machine things got pretty
> > screwed up to the point where it wouldn't start normally at all. I don't
> > think Windows Defender was invoked either but it is now.
> >
> > Comments?..........Paul C.

> --
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@mstechpages.com
> http://www.mstechpages.com | Microsoft news and support

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Paul Calcagno

Re: Avast AV Scanner
Karnyks22, thanks for your thoughts. I'll take a look at MSE, however, I'm
rapidly approaching a situation where I might have too many AV programs
installed on her computer. She's still got Avast installed, and I just
installed Avira. What I'm looking for is a reliable `realtime' scanner for
viruses, spyware, malware, and adware, then just use MBAM, SAS, or Spybot
when I think I need to.

I guess I don't have a problem with uninstalling all but one of the AV
programs--- and I'm inclined to stay with Avira. Do you know enough about
Avira/MSE to know which one is better?
Paul

"karnyks22" <karnyks22.46cz08@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Paul Calcagno Hi.
> I used Avast for a long time and was happy with it's performance until
> a major update was done to the program a few weeks ago. After the update
> I had some bugs develop. Rather than try (or wait for Avast) to fix the
> problems I uninstalled Avast and downloaded Microsoft Security
> Essentials to try. (This is a free program)
> http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/ Was very impressed and
> now use that as my main AV. I use MBAM every day or two just to check
> (quick scan) and if I suspect that I may have picked up something that
> MSE and MBAM has missed I run a free ESET online scan 'Free ESET
> Online Antivirus Scanner' (http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/) If you
> suspect Avast is causing you problems uninstall it and try another AV.
>

> --
> karnyks22

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Avast AV Scanner
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 10:52:28 -0500, "Paul Calcagno"
<pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Karnyks22, thanks for your thoughts. I'll take a look at MSE, however, I'm
> rapidly approaching a situation where I might have too many AV programs
> installed on her computer.

Definitely!

> She's still got Avast installed, and I just
> installed Avira.

They are both good, but get rid of one of the other. You should never
have more than one, since they can conflict with each other.

> What I'm looking for is a reliable `realtime' scanner for
> viruses, spyware, malware, and adware,

Two points:

1. The word "malware" is short for "malicious software." It's a broad
classification that includes viruses, trojans, spyware and adware,
etc.

2. Anti-malware programs come in one of two types--anti-virus and
anti-spyware and adware. No single program really does both.

> then just use MBAM, SAS, or Spybot
> when I think I need to.

MBAM and SAS are the two best anti-spyware programs. Spybot Search and
Destroy very much takes a back seat to those two.

> I guess I don't have a problem with uninstalling all but one of the AV
> programs---

Good, do it.

> and I'm inclined to stay with Avira.

You can't go wrong staying with either Avira or Avast.

> Do you know enough about
> Avira/MSE to know which one is better?

I've never personally used MSE, but I've heard nothing but good
reports about it from those I respect. But to me, it's still new, and
hasn't been around long enough to prove itself yet. So I'd prefer to
stay with Avira or Avast.