How to Stop Explorer

To Old To . . .

How to Stop Explorer
Windows Explorer stops and restarts. How can I stop this so I can check out
what is causing this?
In XP I can Kill Explorer in the task manager. I can't kill explorer in the
task manager, it still keeps trying to restart.
Malke

Re: How to Stop Explorer
To Old To . . . wrote:
> Windows Explorer stops and restarts. How can I stop this so I can check out
> what is causing this?
> In XP I can Kill Explorer in the task manager. I can't kill explorer in the
> task manager, it still keeps trying to restart.

Go into Safe Mode. Do clean boot troubleshooting.

How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
To Old To . . .

Re: How to Stop Explorer
That is where I am at. It is still trying to restart explorer

"Malke" wrote:

> To Old To . . . wrote:
> > Windows Explorer stops and restarts. How can I stop this so I can check out
> > what is causing this?
> > In XP I can Kill Explorer in the task manager. I can't kill explorer in the
> > task manager, it still keeps trying to restart.

> Go into Safe Mode. Do clean boot troubleshooting.
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: How to Stop Explorer
To Old To . . . wrote:
> That is where I am at. It is still trying to restart explorer
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> To Old To . . . wrote:
>>> Windows Explorer stops and restarts. How can I stop this so I can check out
>>> what is causing this?
>>> In XP I can Kill Explorer in the task manager. I can't kill explorer in the
>>> task manager, it still keeps trying to restart.

>> Go into Safe Mode. Do clean boot troubleshooting.
>>
>> How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

We don't have enough information to give you focused troubleshooting.
This is abnormal behavior for explorer.exe.

The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
things worked and the time they didn't?

The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
malware/virus status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what
programs (and versions) did you use to determine this?

Be sure the computer is clean:

Note that the Removing Malware instructions are not Vista-specific. You
may need to run some programs as Administrator and not all programs may
work in Vista. YMMV.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ghost Rider

Re: How to Stop Explorer
Malke wrote:
> To Old To . . . wrote:
>> That is where I am at. It is still trying to restart explorer

>>> Go into Safe Mode. Do clean boot troubleshooting.
>>>
>>> How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

> We don't have enough information to give you focused troubleshooting.
> This is abnormal behavior for explorer.exe.
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> things worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> malware/virus status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what
> programs (and versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
>
> Note that the Removing Malware instructions are not Vista-specific. You
> may need to run some programs as Administrator and not all programs may
> work in Vista. YMMV.
>

> Malke

did you pick up a virus or spyware?
sounds like a problem i had awhile back, can'nt remeber any name(s) it
was spyware which ad-aware detected.

ghost
To Old To . . .

Re: How to Stop Explorer
Well it is infected with a virus. I was able to get a cmd prompt and run
windows defender, which halted the process.

"Malke" wrote:

> To Old To . . . wrote:
> > That is where I am at. It is still trying to restart explorer

> >> Go into Safe Mode. Do clean boot troubleshooting.
> >>
> >> How to perform a clean boot in Vista and XP:
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

> We don't have enough information to give you focused troubleshooting.
> This is abnormal behavior for explorer.exe.
>
> The First Question Of Troubleshooting: what changed between the time
> things worked and the time they didn't?
>
> The Second Question of Windows Troubleshooting: what is the
> malware/virus status of the machine? If you think it is clean, what
> programs (and versions) did you use to determine this?
>
> Be sure the computer is clean:
>
> Note that the Removing Malware instructions are not Vista-specific. You
> may need to run some programs as Administrator and not all programs may
> work in Vista. YMMV.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: How to Stop Explorer
To Old To . . . wrote:
> Well it is infected with a virus. I was able to get a cmd prompt and run
> windows defender, which halted the process.

Ah, well that makes sense. But Defender isn't an antivirus. Update your
antivirus and do a full scan in Safe Mode. Suggested antivirus programs
are Kaspersky, NOD32, and Avast (free).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
swasrfa007

RE: How to Stop Explorer
Explorer can be shut in task manager in Vista
if it keeps restarting that means there is sth wrong about it

think about what u have installed recently or what u have done to your pc
cuz for most the time, explorer should not cause a problem.

"To Old To . . ." wrote:

> Windows Explorer stops and restarts. How can I stop this so I can check out
> what is causing this?
> In XP I can Kill Explorer in the task manager. I can't kill explorer in the
> task manager, it still keeps trying to restart.

Cal Bear '66

Re: How to Stop Explorer
Control Panel>Problem Reports and Solutions can give a clue