Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!

Wolfey

Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. It is probably a simple
solution but I can not figure it out. When I turned my computer off last
night everything was just like normal. When I turned it on today, the
display had changed. Everything was smaller, pictures, fonts, icons, etc. I
clicked on the internet and the pages are different. They do not come up
normal.....they are all the way to one side or the other, or in the middle
(leaving tons of blank space on the screen). This is really getting to me as
I just want to get things back to normal. Please Help!
MrSlartybartfast

RE: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
"right click" the desktop and select "personalise". The choose "display
settings". Under the heading "resolution" move the slider to a lower setting.
--

"Wolfey" wrote:

> If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. It is probably a simple
> solution but I can not figure it out. When I turned my computer off last
> night everything was just like normal. When I turned it on today, the
> display had changed. Everything was smaller, pictures, fonts, icons, etc. I
> clicked on the internet and the pages are different. They do not come up
> normal.....they are all the way to one side or the other, or in the middle
> (leaving tons of blank space on the screen). This is really getting to me as
> I just want to get things back to normal. Please Help!

Wolfey

RE: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
Thanks. I tried that before I posted the question but it just didn't seem to
help that much. While it helps with the size, it doesn't help with the
clairity. I had a normal clean, sharp, clear, crisp look before with
everything the right size. When I adjusted the resolution down, the icons or
text became all fuzzy and blury, although the size was about to what it was
set to before. Don't know what went wrong or what caused this, it just
suddenly wasn't the same. Take for example the gadgets....if i had a weather
update gadget thing set to the upper right of my desktop, when i turned the
computer on, it was about 3 times smaller, and relocated to about 1/4 of the
screen width back to the left.

Is there a way to get it back to the factory default setting? i didn't even
see that option. Thanks for the help!

"MrSlartybartfast" wrote:

> "right click" the desktop and select "personalise". The choose "display
> settings". Under the heading "resolution" move the slider to a lower setting.
> --
>

> "Wolfey" wrote:
>
> > If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. It is probably a simple
> > solution but I can not figure it out. When I turned my computer off last
> > night everything was just like normal. When I turned it on today, the
> > display had changed. Everything was smaller, pictures, fonts, icons, etc. I
> > clicked on the internet and the pages are different. They do not come up
> > normal.....they are all the way to one side or the other, or in the middle
> > (leaving tons of blank space on the screen). This is really getting to me as
> > I just want to get things back to normal. Please Help!

dean-dean

Re: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
Usually, if you have an LCD type monitor, the slider in Display Settings
should be set all the way to the right (High), to achieve the monitor's
native, default setting. Too, in Display Settings > Advanced Settings >
Monitor tab, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" must be checked,
if possible (it might be grayed out).

Do you have the installation file for your display adaptor (e.g., NVIDIA ,
ATI)? Re-installing the driver may be worth a try.

"Wolfey" <Wolfey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I tried that before I posted the question but it just didn't seem
> help that much. While it helps with the size, it doesn't help with the
> clairity. I had a normal clean, sharp, clear, crisp look before with
> everything the right size. When I adjusted the resolution down, the icons
> or
> text became all fuzzy and blury, although the size was about to what it
> was
> set to before. Don't know what went wrong or what caused this, it just
> suddenly wasn't the same. Take for example the gadgets....if i had a
> weather
> update gadget thing set to the upper right of my desktop, when i turned
> the
> computer on, it was about 3 times smaller, and relocated to about 1/4 of
> the
> screen width back to the left.
>
> Is there a way to get it back to the factory default setting? i didn't
> even
> see that option. Thanks for the help!
>
> "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
>
>> "right click" the desktop and select "personalise". The choose "display
>> settings". Under the heading "resolution" move the slider to a lower
>> setting.
>> --
>>

>> "Wolfey" wrote:
>>
>> > If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. It is probably a
>> > simple
>> > solution but I can not figure it out. When I turned my computer off
>> > last
>> > night everything was just like normal. When I turned it on today, the
>> > display had changed. Everything was smaller, pictures, fonts, icons,
>> > etc. I
>> > clicked on the internet and the pages are different. They do not come
>> > up
>> > normal.....they are all the way to one side or the other, or in the
>> > middle
>> > (leaving tons of blank space on the screen). This is really getting to
>> > me as
>> > I just want to get things back to normal. Please Help!

Greg G

Re: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
I have actually had a similar problem. On my laptop when I put it into sleep
mode, when it wakes up the resolution chages. I can put it back to the
higher resolution no problem, but each time it sleeps it does the same thing?
Is there a bug in the system maybe, or is there a more permanent setting for
screen resolution then the personilization menu?

Greg

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Usually, if you have an LCD type monitor, the slider in Display Settings
> should be set all the way to the right (High), to achieve the monitor's
> native, default setting. Too, in Display Settings > Advanced Settings >
> Monitor tab, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" must be checked,
> if possible (it might be grayed out).
>
> Do you have the installation file for your display adaptor (e.g., NVIDIA ,
> ATI)? Re-installing the driver may be worth a try.
>
> "Wolfey" <Wolfey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. I tried that before I posted the question but it just didn't seem
> > help that much. While it helps with the size, it doesn't help with the
> > clairity. I had a normal clean, sharp, clear, crisp look before with
> > everything the right size. When I adjusted the resolution down, the icons
> > or
> > text became all fuzzy and blury, although the size was about to what it
> > was
> > set to before. Don't know what went wrong or what caused this, it just
> > suddenly wasn't the same. Take for example the gadgets....if i had a
> > weather
> > update gadget thing set to the upper right of my desktop, when i turned
> > the
> > computer on, it was about 3 times smaller, and relocated to about 1/4 of
> > the
> > screen width back to the left.
> >
> > Is there a way to get it back to the factory default setting? i didn't
> > even
> > see that option. Thanks for the help!
> >
> > "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
> >
> >> "right click" the desktop and select "personalise". The choose "display
> >> settings". Under the heading "resolution" move the slider to a lower
> >> setting.

Wolfey

Re: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
Thanks for the response. I think I have it back to where it was originally.
Which the resolution was 1024x720 maybe? (I am not on that computer now so I
can't verify for sure). It is a 17 inch moniter on a dell inspirion laptop.
In the settings, I can adjust the resolution all the way to the right on the
slider as you suggested, which is 1900x1280 (I think). This would be the
default setting? The screen looks great when I set it to that size.....but
everything is small. If I were to open up my control panel for example, the
box would be tiny, with the tiny icons and font. I know you can adjust font
sizes, icon sizes, etc. But I do not know how to adjust the size of the box
they pop up in. It would be great to have it set at that resolution and be
able to see things! But until I know how I will have to stay with the lower
resolution. Thanks again.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Usually, if you have an LCD type monitor, the slider in Display Settings
> should be set all the way to the right (High), to achieve the monitor's
> native, default setting. Too, in Display Settings > Advanced Settings >
> Monitor tab, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" must be checked,
> if possible (it might be grayed out).
>
> Do you have the installation file for your display adaptor (e.g., NVIDIA ,
> ATI)? Re-installing the driver may be worth a try.
>
> "Wolfey" <Wolfey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. I tried that before I posted the question but it just didn't seem
> > help that much. While it helps with the size, it doesn't help with the
> > clairity. I had a normal clean, sharp, clear, crisp look before with
> > everything the right size. When I adjusted the resolution down, the icons
> > or
> > text became all fuzzy and blury, although the size was about to what it
> > was
> > set to before. Don't know what went wrong or what caused this, it just
> > suddenly wasn't the same. Take for example the gadgets....if i had a
> > weather
> > update gadget thing set to the upper right of my desktop, when i turned
> > the
> > computer on, it was about 3 times smaller, and relocated to about 1/4 of
> > the
> > screen width back to the left.
> >
> > Is there a way to get it back to the factory default setting? i didn't
> > even
> > see that option. Thanks for the help!
> >
> > "MrSlartybartfast" wrote:
> >
> >> "right click" the desktop and select "personalise". The choose "display
> >> settings". Under the heading "resolution" move the slider to a lower
> >> setting.

swasrfa007

RE: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
Is this the first time happened?
Do you still have this problem?
if this only happens after u reboot your PC or log in your PC
then i dont think this has any thing to do with the resolution
its more like the video card or some start up program is causing this problem.
make sure you have the latest driver of your video card
then think about what u have on the startup
click "Start" -> click "Run" -> type in "msconfig" -> click "startup"
try block all the programs except the basic windows programs
restart your PC see if the problem remains
if it does......
try restore your pc to the day before the problem happened

"Wolfey" wrote:

> If anyone could help it would be much appreciated. It is probably a simple
> solution but I can not figure it out. When I turned my computer off last
> night everything was just like normal. When I turned it on today, the
> display had changed. Everything was smaller, pictures, fonts, icons, etc. I
> clicked on the internet and the pages are different. They do not come up
> normal.....they are all the way to one side or the other, or in the middle
> (leaving tons of blank space on the screen). This is really getting to me as
> I just want to get things back to normal. Please Help!

dean-dean

Re: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
This sounds like a device driver problem. I had the problem myself, testing
Beta versions of Vista, using Beta display drivers. Things got
progressively better, especially when the display driver for my computer
left the Beta phase. Do you know the Manufacturer of your Display device
(look in Display Settings > Advanced Settings > Adapter tab > Properties)?
Also, what is the make and model of your laptop? Perhaps an update is
available.

"Greg G" <Greg G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have actually had a similar problem. On my laptop when I put it into
>sleep
> mode, when it wakes up the resolution chages. I can put it back to the
> higher resolution no problem, but each time it sleeps it does the same
> thing?
> Is there a bug in the system maybe, or is there a more permanent setting
> for
> screen resolution then the personilization menu?
>
> Greg
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Usually, if you have an LCD type monitor, the slider in Display Settings
>> should be set all the way to the right (High), to achieve the monitor's
>> native, default setting. Too, in Display Settings > Advanced Settings >
>> Monitor tab, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" must be
>> checked,
>> if possible (it might be grayed out).
>>
>> Do you have the installation file for your display adaptor (e.g., NVIDIA
>> ,
>> ATI)? Re-installing the driver may be worth a try.
>>
>> "Wolfey" <Wolfey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks. I tried that before I posted the question but it just didn't
>> > seem
>> > help that much. While it helps with the size, it doesn't help with the
>> > clairity. I had a normal clean, sharp, clear, crisp look before with
>> > everything the right size. When I adjusted the resolution down, the
>> > icons
>> > or
>> > text became all fuzzy and blury, although the size was about to what it
>> > was
>> > set to before. Don't know what went wrong or what caused this, it just
>> > suddenly wasn't the same. Take for example the gadgets....if i had a
>> > weather
>> > update gadget thing set to the upper right of my desktop, when i turned
>> > the
>> > computer on, it was about 3 times smaller, and relocated to about 1/4
>> > of
>> > the
>> > screen width back to the left.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to get it back to the factory default setting? i didn't
>> > even
>> > see that option. Thanks for the help!

dean-dean

Re: Display Settings Changed w/o Me Doing It!
I also am using a laptop with a 17-inch, wide-screen display, made by Sony.
My resolution is set to 1920 X 1200, the highest, and default, setting. I
would strongly recommend that you work with the highest setting, for the
best display.

By "box they pop up in", do you mean the Window size? I might be
misunderstanding your statement, but to resize the Window, hold your mouse
over the edge of any side of the Window, until the mouse changes to
something like this <-> , then drag the border to the size you want, while
you see that cursor, holding down the right side mouse button. On any of
the four corners of the Window, that same cursor becomes diagonal
orientated, allowing you to resize both side of the Window at once.

In Control Panel (Classic View) > Folder Options, on the View tab, make sure
"Remember each folder's view settings" is checked, and Windows will remember
the size of the Explorer Windows you want, including Control Panel.

Also, in Control Panel, for example, right-click an empty spot in the
Window, and change the icon size to something like Medium. You can do the
same with your Desktop icons...

Check the Dell website, and see if there are any driver updates for your
laptop's display device, for your particular model. If you need help, post
your model name/number.