need helping restoring data made with backup/restore program

backupdisater

need helping restoring data made with backup/restore program

HP pavillion laptop on vista 64 (purchased 8/09)
system hosed so HP did a reformat back to factory settings
I used vista backup & restore file management program instead of
straight copy and paste.
I have a backup set on my external that the restore file does not want
to recognize and says location in unavailble.
if there any other programs that an read the vista global cat file and
restore my data?

really interested in restoreing outlook file that is splitt accorss
five zip files

--
backupdisater
f/fgeorge

Re: need helping restoring data made with backup/restore program
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 03:35:16 -0600, backupdisater
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>HP pavillion laptop on vista 64 (purchased 8/09)
>system hosed so HP did a reformat back to factory settings
>I used vista backup & restore file management program instead of
>straight copy and paste.
>I have a backup set on my external that the restore file does not want
>to recognize and says location in unavailble.
>if there any other programs that an read the vista global cat file and
>restore my data?
>
>really interested in restoreing outlook file that is splitt accorss
>five zip files

Can you unzip just the outlook files? If so do that to a directory and
then point Outllok to it as the file that it uses, *.pst.
backupdisater

Re: need helping restoring data made with backup/restore program

I tired that. Outlook pst and archive pst files is spliced/split across
5 zip files each containing 7 files titled the same with a different
time stamp

so i extracted all the files (renamed with appendage _1, _2 etc) and
used a dos command to aggregate them back (copy /b) into one file in
squential order.

called outlook1.pst

when i go to import the file is says it is not a valid pst file.

i think the globalcat file in the backup set contains all of the
attributes and need to marry with the zip files first

I am willing to try anything.

--
backupdisater
f/fgeorge

Re: need helping restoring data made with backup/restore program
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:50:57 -0600, backupdisater
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>I tired that. Outlook pst and archive pst files is spliced/split across
>5 zip files each containing 7 files titled the same with a different
>time stamp
>
>so i extracted all the files (renamed with appendage _1, _2 etc) and
>used a dos command to aggregate them back (copy /b) into one file in
>squential order.
>
>called outlook1.pst
>
>when i go to import the file is says it is not a valid pst file.
>
>i think the globalcat file in the backup set contains all of the
>attributes and need to marry with the zip files first
>

>I am willing to try anything.

I guess if you had a second machine you don't care about, or even a
second hard drive you could restore to, then copy the file to a usb
stick and then replace your current drive and copy it back on. But
other than that I really don't know, sorry. If you got a second hard
drive, maybe even that new 500 gb/1 tb drive you have always wanted,
unplug your current drive, install the Os onto the new drive, do the
restore, then copy the file off and then wipe out the drive and use it
as a backup drive in the machine.