SFC -- Beginner Questions!

LoneStar

SFC -- Beginner Questions!
My new Vista system runs very fast and well. However, I ran SFC /verifyonly
and got a 17MB file in the CBS.log folder. Lots of stuff there that "looks"
really scary, but what do I know!

Question: Later, I ran sfc /scannow and the result showed that some system
files couldn't be repaired! I went to the cbs.log file and saw that the
file was the one dated from the first sfc /verifyonly process. Isn't there
supposed to be a log from the ..../scannow process also?

Finally, if my Vista runs flawlessly, should I be concerned about the
irreparable files? If so, how can I find them? Thanks.

EW

dean-dean

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
SFC appends its report to the cbs.log (i.e., it doesn't create a new log
each time you run SFC). The latest info will be towards the end of the log
(it will be dated, under each POQ entry). The cbs.log file is a log for
both SFC and the Windows Modules Installer service, which installs optional
features, updates, and service packs. Keep your eye on the [SR] tags, in
the log, which are the System File Checker entries.

It's not possible to say whether or not you should be concerned about your
irreparable files, without knowing what they are, and SFC's reason for not
repairing them...

"LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
news:464250fb$0$97235$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> My new Vista system runs very fast and well. However, I ran SFC
> /verifyonly and got a 17MB file in the CBS.log folder. Lots of stuff
> there that "looks" really scary, but what do I know!
>
> Question: Later, I ran sfc /scannow and the result showed that some system
> files couldn't be repaired! I went to the cbs.log file and saw that the
> file was the one dated from the first sfc /verifyonly process. Isn't
> there supposed to be a log from the ..../scannow process also?
>
> Finally, if my Vista runs flawlessly, should I be concerned about the
> irreparable files? If so, how can I find them? Thanks.
>
> EW

LoneStar

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
dean......... thanks for the reply. After reviewing your answer and working
with Notepad and a KB article I found on the MS website, I isolated the two
"irreparable" files as: tcpmon.ini and settings.ini. The "tcpmon.ini" works
with my new printer which works PERFECTLY with my Vista (though much of the
time it's turned OFF) and the "settings.ini" fault has to do with the
Windows Sidebar, which I have disabled. No worries here, I guess. Whew!
Your reply gave me a good start into learning much about the cbs.log file
and how SFC works. Cheers.

EW

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SFC appends its report to the cbs.log (i.e., it doesn't create a new log
> each time you run SFC). The latest info will be towards the end of the
> log
> (it will be dated, under each POQ entry). The cbs.log file is a log for
> both SFC and the Windows Modules Installer service, which installs
> optional
> features, updates, and service packs. Keep your eye on the [SR] tags, in
> the log, which are the System File Checker entries.
>
> It's not possible to say whether or not you should be concerned about your
> irreparable files, without knowing what they are, and SFC's reason for not
> repairing them...
>
> "LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:464250fb$0$97235$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
>> My new Vista system runs very fast and well. However, I ran SFC
>> /verifyonly and got a 17MB file in the CBS.log folder. Lots of stuff
>> there that "looks" really scary, but what do I know!
>>
>> Question: Later, I ran sfc /scannow and the result showed that some
>> system
>> files couldn't be repaired! I went to the cbs.log file and saw that the
>> file was the one dated from the first sfc /verifyonly process. Isn't
>> there supposed to be a log from the ..../scannow process also?
>>
>> Finally, if my Vista runs flawlessly, should I be concerned about the
>> irreparable files? If so, how can I find them? Thanks.
>>
>> EW

Dean-Dean

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
It looks like you were able to sort out a few of your concerns. Your post
reminded me that I'd forgotten to tell you about making a sfcdetails.txt
file, but it looks like you figured it out:

To create only SFC information gleaned from the cbs.log, and find the
sfcdetails.txt easily, open command prompt. By default, the prompt starts in
C:\Users\(Your Name). Type

cd desktop

Press Enter on your keyboard. Then type

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter. Sfcdetails.txt should then appear on your Desktop.

I've run SFC with no problems found, or, as SFC puts it, "Windows Resource
Protection did not find any integrity violations". Here are my locations for
tcpmon.ini and settings.ini:

C:\Windows\System32\tcpmon.ini (Modified ‎September ‎19, ‎2006, Created
November ‎02, ‎2006)
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-p..rtmonitor-tcpmonini_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_d04 210aeaa5e863a\tcpmon.ini
(Modified ‎September ‎19, ‎2006, Created November ‎02, ‎2006)

C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\settings.ini (Modified and Created
‎November ‎02, ‎2006)
C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-sidebar_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_cca5e 9c129bd0a02\settings.ini
(Modified and Created ‎November ‎02, ‎2006)

The C:\Windows\winsxs\ subfolders are where SFC crosschecks the system files
on your computer. For tcpmon.ini and settings.ini, under
C:\Windows\winsxs\, do you have the corresponding subfolders, noted above?

Like you, I don't see the two "irreparable" files as cause for real concern...

"LoneStar" wrote:

> dean......... thanks for the reply. After reviewing your answer and working
> with Notepad and a KB article I found on the MS website, I isolated the two
> "irreparable" files as: tcpmon.ini and settings.ini. The "tcpmon.ini" works
> with my new printer which works PERFECTLY with my Vista (though much of the
> time it's turned OFF) and the "settings.ini" fault has to do with the
> Windows Sidebar, which I have disabled. No worries here, I guess. Whew!
> Your reply gave me a good start into learning much about the cbs.log file
> and how SFC works. Cheers.
>
> EW
>
> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > SFC appends its report to the cbs.log (i.e., it doesn't create a new log
> > each time you run SFC). The latest info will be towards the end of the
> > log
> > (it will be dated, under each POQ entry). The cbs.log file is a log for
> > both SFC and the Windows Modules Installer service, which installs
> > optional
> > features, updates, and service packs. Keep your eye on the [SR] tags, in
> > the log, which are the System File Checker entries.
> >
> > It's not possible to say whether or not you should be concerned about your
> > irreparable files, without knowing what they are, and SFC's reason for not
> > repairing them...
> >
> > "LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:464250fb$0$97235$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
> >> My new Vista system runs very fast and well. However, I ran SFC
> >> /verifyonly and got a 17MB file in the CBS.log folder. Lots of stuff
> >> there that "looks" really scary, but what do I know!
> >>
> >> Question: Later, I ran sfc /scannow and the result showed that some
> >> system
> >> files couldn't be repaired! I went to the cbs.log file and saw that the
> >> file was the one dated from the first sfc /verifyonly process. Isn't
> >> there supposed to be a log from the ..../scannow process also?
> >>
> >> Finally, if my Vista runs flawlessly, should I be concerned about the
> >> irreparable files? If so, how can I find them? Thanks.
> >>
> >> EW

LoneStar

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
Wow, thanks again. I've learned a bunch and am glad I ran into you here!!

> It looks like you were able to sort out a few of your concerns. Your post
> reminded me that I'd forgotten to tell you about making a sfcdetails.txt
> file, but it looks like you figured it out:

ETC............................................... .....

nweissma

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
i have the identical situation (/scannow states, but does not identify,
irreparable corrupted files). i am looking at [sfc /verifyonly] a 35 MB
cbs.txt log - how do i identify which files are corrupted? after i've
identified them, how can i repair (from the disk) only them?

--

--Fool On The Hill
[32-bit Vista Home Premium]
"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> SFC appends its report to the cbs.log (i.e., it doesn't create a new log
> each time you run SFC). The latest info will be towards the end of the
> log
> (it will be dated, under each POQ entry). The cbs.log file is a log for
> both SFC and the Windows Modules Installer service, which installs
> optional
> features, updates, and service packs. Keep your eye on the [SR] tags, in
> the log, which are the System File Checker entries.
>
> It's not possible to say whether or not you should be concerned about your
> irreparable files, without knowing what they are, and SFC's reason for not
> repairing them...
>
> "LoneStar" <ewyatt_del_me@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:464250fb$0$97235$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readf reenews.net...
>> My new Vista system runs very fast and well. However, I ran SFC
>> /verifyonly and got a 17MB file in the CBS.log folder. Lots of stuff
>> there that "looks" really scary, but what do I know!
>>
>> Question: Later, I ran sfc /scannow and the result showed that some
>> system
>> files couldn't be repaired! I went to the cbs.log file and saw that the
>> file was the one dated from the first sfc /verifyonly process. Isn't
>> there supposed to be a log from the ..../scannow process also?
>>
>> Finally, if my Vista runs flawlessly, should I be concerned about the
>> irreparable files? If so, how can I find them? Thanks.
>>
>> EW

nweissma

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
why can't Vista's System Restore feature be used to repair corrupted files?

--

--Fool On The Hill
[32-bit Vista Home Premium]
> [...]
>>
>> EW
>>
>> "dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > SFC appends its report to the cbs.log (i.e., it doesn't create a new
>> > log
>> > each time you run SFC). The latest info will be towards the end of the
>> > log
>> > (it will be dated, under each POQ entry). The cbs.log file is a log
>> > for
>> > both SFC and the Windows Modules Installer service, which installs
>> > optional
>> > features, updates, and service packs. Keep your eye on the [SR] tags,
>> > in
>> > the log, which are the System File Checker entries.
>> >
>> > It's not possible to say whether or not you should be concerned about
>> > your
>> > irreparable files, without knowing what they are, and SFC's reason for

Julian

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
"nweissma" <nweissma@covad.net> wrote in message
> why can't Vista's System Restore feature be used to repair corrupted
> files?

It can if they are 'system' files.

For user files restore from backup.

newsE1CB77B-D694-401D-B64B-4E425EEC47C5@microsoft.com...
>i have the identical situation (/scannow states, but does not identify,
>irreparable corrupted files). i am looking at [sfc /verifyonly] a 35 MB
>cbs.txt log - how do i identify which files are corrupted? after i've
>identified them, how can i repair (from the disk) only them?
>
> --

Here's what I did to find the irreparable files:

Open your CBS.log file in Notepad (hopefully, your Notepad can handle 25
MB!). Go to the Edit tab and use your "Find" selection to search the words
"Cannot repair member file." This will give you a mildly complex
explanation and name of the file found to be in "error." Use "Find Next"
until you've seen them all. In my case, it found 2 files, but they were not
really bad files, just a fluke because the items they referred to were files
used on hardware that I had shut off.

This was the way I did it, but Microsoft may have another idea. See this
link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

Good luck, and no worries!

EW

dean-dean

Re: SFC -- Beginner Questions!
System Restore could be used to repair corrupted system files, but you would
have to choose a restore point with a date when the corrupted files weren't
corrupted. Knowing when the files weren't corrupted may not be easy to
figure out.