Excessive RAM usage?

Graham T

Excessive RAM usage?
Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer performance
gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU has
been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But the
RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all. This
is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at about
80%.
Is this normal???
Help appreciated.
DP

Re: Excessive RAM usage?

"Graham T" <GrahamT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC8A8511-4C89-4B80-AE77-5CA8E716FBF8@microsoft.com...
> Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer
> performance
> gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU
> has
> been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But
> the
> RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all.
> This
> is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at
> about
> 80%.
> Is this normal???

Yes. I'll leave it to others to explain it in more detail, but Vista is
it doesn't have to read the HDD again to get it.
Search for info about "Superfetch."

Conor

Re: Excessive RAM usage?
In article <DC8A8511-4C89-4B80-AE77-5CA8E716FBF8@microsoft.com>, Graham
T says...
> Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer performance
> gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU has
> been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But the
> RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all. This
> is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at about
> 80%.
> Is this normal???

Yes.

Google Superfetch. Basically Vista preloads apps into RAM for faster
access when you need them. If the RAM is needed before then, it's
released to whatever needs it.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
swasrfa007

RE: Excessive RAM usage?
Windows Vista use a lot of RAM
you have to have at least 512 MB ram to run it (But it will be really really
really...... laggy) that's y Microsft requires at least 1 GB
how much ram u have?
and try this tool
http://www.bestsoftware4download.com...-psngdewh.html
i am using it too
its free for try
maybe this will help (RAM cleaner wont creat any extra RAM for you, so if
your ram sit around 80% i think this will only brings it down to 70% or 65%
max)

"Graham T" wrote:

> Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer performance
> gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU has
> been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But the
> RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all. This
> is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at about
> 80%.
> Is this normal???
> Help appreciated.

Graham

RE: Excessive RAM usage?
I currently have 1GB of RAM installed. I have been using the laptop for a
couple of days now, and the RAM usage has now dropped to 40%-50% when the
system is just on the desktop.
Does the program you recommend compromise performance elsewhere? it is just
a memory clean-up tool?
Might give it a go, but at 50% the RAM usage seems normal.

"swasrfa007" wrote:

> Windows Vista use a lot of RAM
> you have to have at least 512 MB ram to run it (But it will be really really
> really...... laggy) that's y Microsft requires at least 1 GB
> how much ram u have?
> and try this tool
> http://www.bestsoftware4download.com...-psngdewh.html
> i am using it too
> its free for try
> maybe this will help (RAM cleaner wont creat any extra RAM for you, so if
> your ram sit around 80% i think this will only brings it down to 70% or 65%
> max)
>

> "Graham T" wrote:
>
> > Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer performance
> > gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU has
> > been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But the
> > RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all. This
> > is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at about
> > 80%.
> > Is this normal???
> > Help appreciated.

swasrfa007

RE: Excessive RAM usage?
40-50% is good enough
it wont lag most of the program
in this case
you don't really need that tool

"Graham" wrote:

> I currently have 1GB of RAM installed. I have been using the laptop for a
> couple of days now, and the RAM usage has now dropped to 40%-50% when the
> system is just on the desktop.
> Does the program you recommend compromise performance elsewhere? it is just
> a memory clean-up tool?
> Might give it a go, but at 50% the RAM usage seems normal.
>
> "swasrfa007" wrote:
>
> > Windows Vista use a lot of RAM
> > you have to have at least 512 MB ram to run it (But it will be really really
> > really...... laggy) that's y Microsft requires at least 1 GB
> > how much ram u have?
> > and try this tool
> > http://www.bestsoftware4download.com...-psngdewh.html
> > i am using it too
> > its free for try
> > maybe this will help (RAM cleaner wont creat any extra RAM for you, so if
> > your ram sit around 80% i think this will only brings it down to 70% or 65%
> > max)
> >

> > "Graham T" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, my laptop is brand new today, and I have set up the computer performance
> > > gadget on my sidebar. It shows the CPU usage and the RAM usage. The CPU has
> > > been changing as normal when I am doing different tasks on my laptop. But the
> > > RAM usage just sits at around 80% all the time, hardly changing at all. This
> > > is still the case with no major programs running - and it still sits at about
> > > 80%.
> > > Is this normal???
> > > Help appreciated.

DevilsPGD

Re: Excessive RAM usage?
In message <5E8AD41E-6CE6-4A79-802E-F48CC8B50A6B@microsoft.com>
swasrfa007 <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>40-50% is good enough
>it wont lag most of the program
>in this case
>you don't really need that tool

No one "needs" that tool -- All it does is allocate a bunch of RAM,
forcing Windows to dump the cached data already in RAM.

The result is that instead of having your cache have a chance at being
useful, and then getting dumped when something else needs the RAM, now
there is no chance of the cache doing anything since you forced it to
dump in advance.

--
We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?
Graham

Re: Excessive RAM usage?
Well I downloaded the tool last night, no problems at all. Opened it and let
it get to work and 30 seconds later my RAM usage dropped to about 35%. I shut
down and booted up this morning and it took far longer than usual to boot. I
got a message saying the tool was blocked by windows. It did work well at
reducing RAM usage but I noticed it reduced performance after trying out a
few applications after it had cleaned up. They ran very slowly, almost froze
a couple of times. I've uninstalled it and am now back up to between 50% and
60% usage but the system is now running smoothly. I will just leave it the
way it is.
Cheers for the advice though.

"DevilsPGD" wrote:

> In message <5E8AD41E-6CE6-4A79-802E-F48CC8B50A6B@microsoft.com>
> swasrfa007 <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >40-50% is good enough
> >it wont lag most of the program
> >in this case
> >you don't really need that tool

> No one "needs" that tool -- All it does is allocate a bunch of RAM,
> forcing Windows to dump the cached data already in RAM.
>
> The result is that instead of having your cache have a chance at being
> useful, and then getting dumped when something else needs the RAM, now
> there is no chance of the cache doing anything since you forced it to
> dump in advance.
>
> --
> We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
> be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?
> Only in America!

Cal Bear '66

Re: Excessive RAM usage?
Good for you.

Best to leave these "snake oil" remedies alone -- RAM compactors, registry
cleaners, registry compactors, et. al. They mostly cause more problems,
sometimes very severe, than they cure.

Vista uses RAM much differently than earlier versions of Windows, and it is best
to just leave it alone.

I have 4GB of RAM and upon startup about 35% is used. Doesn't bother me in the
least.

"Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news5E95ECE-4E9F-4D9A-A039-CEFBABD1BCCC@microsoft.com...
> Well I downloaded the tool last night, no problems at all. Opened it and let
> it get to work and 30 seconds later my RAM usage dropped to about 35%. I shut
> down and booted up this morning and it took far longer than usual to boot. I
> got a message saying the tool was blocked by windows. It did work well at
> reducing RAM usage but I noticed it reduced performance after trying out a
> few applications after it had cleaned up. They ran very slowly, almost froze
> a couple of times. I've uninstalled it and am now back up to between 50% and
> 60% usage but the system is now running smoothly. I will just leave it the
> way it is.
> Cheers for the advice though.
>
> "DevilsPGD" wrote:
>
>> In message <5E8AD41E-6CE6-4A79-802E-F48CC8B50A6B@microsoft.com>
>> swasrfa007 <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >40-50% is good enough
>> >it wont lag most of the program
>> >in this case
>> >you don't really need that tool

>> No one "needs" that tool -- All it does is allocate a bunch of RAM,
>> forcing Windows to dump the cached data already in RAM.
>>
>> The result is that instead of having your cache have a chance at being
>> useful, and then getting dumped when something else needs the RAM, now
>> there is no chance of the cache doing anything since you forced it to
>> dump in advance.
>>
>> --
>> We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
>> be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?
>> Only in America!

f/fgeorge

Re: Excessive RAM usage?
Vista is a whole new OS which means a whole new way of doing things.
Memory management is just one of the new things. Ignore the numbers
and enjoy the increased performance. More stuff is now kept in ram,
giving you the numbers you are seeing, but also increasing the
likelihood that a given program or file will be close at hand and not
have to be searched for before it loads.

On Fri, 11 May 2007 15:11:01 -0700, Graham