registry errors

doneganw

registry errors
Dear All,

Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?

I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has lots
of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment though.

--
Bye,
William J. Donegan

Camper

Re: registry errors

"doneganw" <doneganw@att.net> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?
>
> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has
> lots of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment
> though.
>
> --
> Bye,
> William J. Donegan

Don't waste you money or time with registry repairers. It is a case of if
it isn't broke don't fix it, as the fix can break it.

Camper

Rick Rogers

Re: registry errors
Hi William,

Remove the scanner software, it's snake oil. They, meaning general registry
cleaners, are worse than useless, they are dangerous. They very often
misidentify valid entries and remove them, causing sometimes irresolvable
issues that end up with you having to reinstall your operating system.

The only time any registry cleaner should be used is when it is one supplied
by a manufacturer to remove specific components of their software.

Please tell us if there was a specific issue you were hoping that scanner
would resolve. Be also aware that dead entries in the Vista registry have no
affect on performance, so removing them is pointless if your objective is to
speed up the machine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"doneganw" <doneganw@att.net> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?
>
> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has
> lots of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment
> though.
>
> --
> Bye,
> William J. Donegan

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: registry errors
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:02:39 -0500, "doneganw" <doneganw@att.net>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?
>
> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has lots
> of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment though.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
doneganw

Re: registry errors
Dear Camper, Rick Rogers and Ken Blake,

Thanks for the advice on the registry cleaners. I have uninstalled the two
that I tried and it does seem like they caused a problem after installing
them.

Right now, I can't open the AT&T Self Support Tool that I use. The tool
tells me that I have no internet connection but that's wrong, I can connect
to the internet either through Windows Mail or AT&T powered by Yahoo. I'll
call AT&T later tonight and see what they say. I began getting a "You are
not connected to the internet" notice in my notification area after
installing these registry cleaners. But always I've been able to connect.

The reason that I was suspicious of my OS was that the little spinning
circle (WHAT DO YA CALL THAT LITTLE SPINNING THING?) always seems to spin in
the task bar endlessly before I click on the internet explorer icon there. I
still can connect as said.

Your patience is appreciated as I'm an old geezer who just turned 60 and
only started PCing about a year ago. It may be time to go OOBE anyway. I've
successfully done it before and can download my hard drive to my flash
drive.

Bye,
Will

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:02:39 -0500, "doneganw" <doneganw@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?
>>
>> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has
>> lots
>> of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment though.

> Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
> registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
> don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
> what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
> having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>
> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
> it may have.
>
> Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
>

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

doneganw

Re: registry errors
Dear All,

AT&T tells me that the self support tool is not functioning right. That may
have been the problem. The CSR told me to uninstall it.

Bye,
Will

"doneganw" <doneganw@att.net> wrote in message
news0DA8210-E269-40CB-BE86-D35EA5EC5411@microsoft.com...
> Dear Camper, Rick Rogers and Ken Blake,
>
> Thanks for the advice on the registry cleaners. I have uninstalled the two
> that I tried and it does seem like they caused a problem after installing
> them.
>
> Right now, I can't open the AT&T Self Support Tool that I use. The tool
> tells me that I have no internet connection but that's wrong, I can
> connect to the internet either through Windows Mail or AT&T powered by
> Yahoo. I'll call AT&T later tonight and see what they say. I began getting
> a "You are not connected to the internet" notice in my notification area
> after installing these registry cleaners. But always I've been able to
> connect.
>
> The reason that I was suspicious of my OS was that the little spinning
> circle (WHAT DO YA CALL THAT LITTLE SPINNING THING?) always seems to spin
> in the task bar endlessly before I click on the internet explorer icon
> there. I still can connect as said.
>
> Your patience is appreciated as I'm an old geezer who just turned 60 and
> only started PCing about a year ago. It may be time to go OOBE anyway.
> I've successfully done it before and can download my hard drive to my
> flash drive.
>
> Bye,
> Will
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:02:39 -0500, "doneganw" <doneganw@att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?
>>>
>>> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has
>>> lots
>>> of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment though.

>> Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
>> registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
>> don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
>> what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
>> having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>>
>> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
>> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
>> it may have.
>>
>> Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Bruce Chambers

Re: registry errors
doneganw wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?

Had you actually had any real registry errors, certainly.

> I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has
> lots of these registry error? It won't remove them without a payment
> though.

That's just a scam, trying to separate fools from their money.

Why do you even think you'd ever need to clean your registry? What
specific *problems* are you actually experiencing (not some program's
bogus listing of imaginary problems) that you think can be fixed by
using a registry "cleaner?"

If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would
be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the
specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. After
all, why use a chainsaw when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally,
the manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely
to have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
multiple changes simultaneously. The only thing needed to safely clean
your registry is knowledge and Regedit.exe.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change.

Having repeatedly seen the results of inexperienced people using
automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user. If you lack the knowledge and experience to
maintain your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
no matter how safe they claim to be.

More importantly, no one has ever demonstrated that the use of an
automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good, whatsoever. There's
certainly been no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use
of such products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's
performance or stability. Given the potential for harm, it's just not
worth the risk.

Granted, most registry "cleaners" won't cause problems each and
every time they're used, but the potential for harm is always there.
And, since no registry "cleaner" has ever been demonstrated to do any
good, I always tell people that the risks far out-weigh the non-existent
benefits.

I will concede that a good registry *scanning* tool, in the hands
of an experienced and knowledgeable technician or hobbyist can be a
useful time-saving diagnostic tool, as long as it's not allowed to make
any changes automatically. But I really don't think that there are any
registry "cleaners" that are truly safe for the general public to use.
Experience has proven just the opposite: such tools simply are not safe
in the hands of the inexperienced user.

A little further reading on the subject:

Why I don't use registry cleaners
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=643

AumHa Forums • View topic - AUMHA Discussion: Should I Use a Registry
Cleaner?
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
R. C. White

Re: registry errors
Hi, Will.

> Your patience is appreciated as I'm an old geezer who just turned 60 and
> only started PCing about a year ago.

DO NOT use age as an excuse!

I'm 74 and Ken is not far behind. (But, to be fair, we both got into
computers more than 30 years ago.) By the time you get to be "an old
geezer" of my age, you will have about 15 years experience with computers.
You'll be 15 years older then. If you use the "old geezer" excuse now, what
will you say then? ;^}

> It may be time to go OOBE anyway.

What does OOBE mean in this case? Microsoft developers use that to mean
"Out Of the Box Experience", which means what happens when the new computer
is first taken out of the box and put to use.

I agree with the others: Registry cleaners are snake oil. Of course they
found "problems", lots of them! And the demand for money for a fix ("It
won't remove them without a payment though.") reeks of extortion, doesn't
it?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 23:01:57 -0600, "R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Will.
>
> > Your patience is appreciated as I'm an old geezer who just turned 60 and
> > only started PCing about a year ago.

> DO NOT use age as an excuse!
>
> I'm 74 and Ken is not far behind.

Right, I'm 72.

> (But, to be fair, we both got into
> computers more than 30 years ago.)

Yep, I started as a programmer in 1962, just over 47 years ago.

> [...]

> > flash drive.
> >
> > Bye,
> > Will
> >
> > "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message

> >> Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
> >> registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
> >> don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
> >> what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
> >> having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
> >>
> >> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
> >> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
> >> it may have.
> >>
> >> Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003

hello kitty

free registry tools
don't waste money on that registry tools, there are many useful and easy-to-use tools you can choose. Most important, they are free. Like ccleaner and wondershare registry defrag. you can download them and have a try.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
http://www.system-tools-software.com...gistry-defrag/

doneganw wrote:

registry errors
22-Jan-10

Dear All,

Would this be the right place to ask questions about registry errors?

I recently downloaded a free registry error scanner that said my PC has lots
of these registry error? It will not remove them without a payment though.

--
Bye,
William J. Donegan

ASP.NET MVC RC2