Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus Message

Marz

Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus Message
I was hoping that someone could either answer this question or direct me to a
place where I could find an answer in another forum. I thought this was a
good place to start.

I have a PC game called Air Conflicts on my Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista
Home Premium.

There have been a couple of times recently when my MS Calendar interrupted
the game by popping up an event reminder. Then, I get the following message:

---------------------------------------
Remove the Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus from your computer
This problem was caused by Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage, a known
computer virus.

To prevent this problem from occurring again, install and run an up-to-date
antivirus program on your computer.

(etc.)
---------------------------------------

I use McAfee on my Dell laptop. It came with the laptop.
I have kept it up-to-date and do a weekly scan.
I did not find anything in last week's scan.

After I got that message about the virus I immediately ran another full scan
using McAfee and nothing was found.

I have read in another website's forum that this is a known "false positive"
issue - known by Microsoft. But, I haven't been able to find much of
anything on a Microsoft website to confirm this.

Since this is a message about a virus, I am taking it seriously.
What is my next step since McAfee didn't find anything?
I do not have any strange behavior on my computer. I was going to find
another virus scan program, but I am surprised that McAfee didn't catch this
virus - which is why I am leaning towards a "false positive".

Ǝиçεl

RE: Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus Message
Hello Marz,

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes and SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
-=-
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
-=-

"Marz" wrote:

> I was hoping that someone could either answer this question or direct me to a
> place where I could find an answer in another forum. I thought this was a
> good place to start.
>
> I have a PC game called Air Conflicts on my Dell Inspiron 1501 running Vista
> Home Premium.
>
> There have been a couple of times recently when my MS Calendar interrupted
> the game by popping up an event reminder. Then, I get the following message:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Remove the Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus from your computer
> This problem was caused by Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage, a known
> computer virus.
>
> To prevent this problem from occurring again, install and run an up-to-date
> antivirus program on your computer.
>
> (etc.)
> ---------------------------------------
>
> I use McAfee on my Dell laptop. It came with the laptop.
> I have kept it up-to-date and do a weekly scan.
> I did not find anything in last week's scan.
>
> After I got that message about the virus I immediately ran another full scan
> using McAfee and nothing was found.
>
> I have read in another website's forum that this is a known "false positive"
> issue - known by Microsoft. But, I haven't been able to find much of
> anything on a Microsoft website to confirm this.
>
> Since this is a message about a virus, I am taking it seriously.
> What is my next step since McAfee didn't find anything?
> I do not have any strange behavior on my computer. I was going to find
> another virus scan program, but I am surprised that McAfee didn't catch this
> virus - which is why I am leaning towards a "false positive".

Marz

RE: Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN/ PWS-Lineage virus Message
I also posted this on the MS Answers page here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...9-067aa99f4658

I received a list of Microsoft sites to view. One of them had a downloadable
Malware scan app, which I ran.

The MS downloadable scan app did not find anything on my computer.
It ended and listed malicious software ranging from Win32/Alcan to Win32
Zuten and Win32/Banker.

There are a number of other links listed on this answer page.