Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed

Jason

Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed
Well, with very feel anti-virus available for Vista (norton is eating up too
much resources) , I am using AVG antivirus and working well with Vista .
However, I realized Anti-Spyware part does not work with Vista and and it
just simply shuts down the service. I have no choice by to stick with the
Windows Defender and I am not impress with its ability.
Any suggestion ??

Thanks
Jason

Lord Takyon

Re: Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed
"Jason" <jsyip03@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Well, with very feel anti-virus available for Vista (norton is eating up
> too much resources) , I am using AVG antivirus and working well with Vista
> . However, I realized Anti-Spyware part does not work with Vista and and
> it just simply shuts down the service. I have no choice by to stick with
> the Windows Defender and I am not impress with its ability.
> Any suggestion ??
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Look harder. Defender is OK as part of your defenses. Get Adaware and
Spybot and use them for scanning and immunization. Learn about security and
you will enjoy your system more a it should remain healthy.

--
Join our distributed computing project.
Team FTL http://www.takyon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Victek

Re: Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed

"Jason" <jsyip03@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Well, with very feel anti-virus available for Vista (norton is eating up
> too much resources) , I am using AVG antivirus and working well with Vista
> . However, I realized Anti-Spyware part does not work with Vista and and
> it just simply shuts down the service. I have no choice by to stick with
> the Windows Defender and I am not impress with its ability.
> Any suggestion ??
>
> Thanks
> Jason

I like Spyware Terminator (www.spywareterminator.com). It's free and
provides more protection than Windows Defender IMHO. For a software
firewall I use PC Tools Firewall Plus which is also free. It adds
interactive outbound connection monitoring, but it's "rules based" and may
require a little tweaking initially (www.pctools.com)

PTravel

Re: Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed

"Jason" <jsyip03@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Well, with very feel anti-virus available for Vista (norton is eating up
> too much resources) , I am using AVG antivirus and working well with Vista
> . However, I realized Anti-Spyware part does not work with Vista and and
> it just simply shuts down the service. I have no choice by to stick with
> the Windows Defender and I am not impress with its ability.
> Any suggestion ??
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Webroot SpySweeper works very well with Vista.

I've tried a number of third party firewalls, but haven't found any that are
good.

PCTools is buggy -- it interferes with local lan connections.
Sphinx blocks TCP/IP4 connections on a sporadic basis, which interferes with
WiFi networking.
Jetico works, but slows the machine dramatically and asks permission for
every little thing - sort of a firewall version of UAC.

Unfortunately, I've gone back to Windows Firewall for the moment, though it
is only usable for incoming blocking (it supports bidirectional, but
outgoing is a pain to configure).

bob clere

Re: Anti-Spyware and Add on Firewall recommendations needed
As far as I know Ad aware does not yet have a vista compatible version.