applications Running very slowly in vista

therocker39

applications Running very slowly in vista
I just bought A new dell xps 410 with E6600 and 2 gigs of 667ghz ram I
installed my video editing software and all the other apps I had on my old xp
rig wich was a celeron processor and it takes twice as long for my video
editing software to start up and the drag and drop features take sometimes up
to a minute to actually execute building previews takes an extra couple of
minutes and the app tends to crash in vista it is an older version of adobe
premiere pro (premiere 6.5) I would think that this machine would be at least
ten times faster than the old celron but that is not the case is it that the
software is to old a version and not compatible it does work at times I have
managed to do a couple videos but it takes so much longer I will have to
delete vista and go back to xp (much cheaper than buying newer version of
premier) unless someone can help fix the problem. any Ideas would be greatly
appreciated
Dana Cline - MVP

Re: applications Running very slowly in vista
If Dell is like everyone else, you got a load of junkware on your PC. I
suggest you remove all you can, and then use Microsoft's Autoruns to see
what starts up with your PC. I know the Windows Search service will take
your CPU time if its running. I also used TweakVI and that seems to have
helped some.

I wouldn't think your new PC would be 10 times faster than a Celeron, but
maybe 2-4 times faster. You may be held back by that old version of
Premier - it may not take advantage of dual-core CPUs or even the full
instruction set...you should seriously consider upgrading it. Yeah, I know
they charge too much, but if you want the best, you have to pay the price...

Dana Cline - MCE MVP

"therocker39" <therocker39@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought A new dell xps 410 with E6600 and 2 gigs of 667ghz ram I
> installed my video editing software and all the other apps I had on my old
> xp
> rig wich was a celeron processor and it takes twice as long for my video
> editing software to start up and the drag and drop features take sometimes
> up
> to a minute to actually execute building previews takes an extra couple of
> minutes and the app tends to crash in vista it is an older version of
> adobe
> premiere pro (premiere 6.5) I would think that this machine would be at
> least
> ten times faster than the old celron but that is not the case is it that
> the
> software is to old a version and not compatible it does work at times I
> have
> managed to do a couple videos but it takes so much longer I will have to
> delete vista and go back to xp (much cheaper than buying newer version of
> premier) unless someone can help fix the problem. any Ideas would be
> greatly
> appreciated

therocker39

Re: applications Running very slowly in vista
I have the same program on my laptop (Dell e1505) it has a core 2 processor
and the Premiere runs flawlessly the only difference is it has xp not vista I
really believe it is an os problem I Have always been able to run this
program on any of my other pc's (all Dells with all the junk still on them)
but it doesn't like the vista rig at all it is almost unusable as Far as I
can tell right now removing vista for xp is the only solution maybe in a
year or so vista will be ready to be reinstalled but right now I feel it's
still got way too many bugs If there are any other suggestions I am more than
willing to try anything Don't misunderstand me I think vista will be a killer
os but it just needs some time to mature Xp was the same way when it came out
and now I swear by it

"Dana Cline - MVP" wrote:

> If Dell is like everyone else, you got a load of junkware on your PC. I
> suggest you remove all you can, and then use Microsoft's Autoruns to see
> what starts up with your PC. I know the Windows Search service will take
> your CPU time if its running. I also used TweakVI and that seems to have
> helped some.
>
> I wouldn't think your new PC would be 10 times faster than a Celeron, but
> maybe 2-4 times faster. You may be held back by that old version of
> Premier - it may not take advantage of dual-core CPUs or even the full
> instruction set...you should seriously consider upgrading it. Yeah, I know
> they charge too much, but if you want the best, you have to pay the price...
>
> Dana Cline - MCE MVP
>
> "therocker39" <therocker39@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just bought A new dell xps 410 with E6600 and 2 gigs of 667ghz ram I
> > installed my video editing software and all the other apps I had on my old
> > xp
> > rig wich was a celeron processor and it takes twice as long for my video
> > editing software to start up and the drag and drop features take sometimes
> > up
> > to a minute to actually execute building previews takes an extra couple of
> > minutes and the app tends to crash in vista it is an older version of
> > adobe
> > premiere pro (premiere 6.5) I would think that this machine would be at
> > least
> > ten times faster than the old celron but that is not the case is it that
> > the
> > software is to old a version and not compatible it does work at times I
> > have
> > managed to do a couple videos but it takes so much longer I will have to
> > delete vista and go back to xp (much cheaper than buying newer version of
> > premier) unless someone can help fix the problem. any Ideas would be
> > greatly
> > appreciated

Dana Cline - MVP

Re: applications Running very slowly in vista
Well, if you're not planning on upgrading Premier to a Vista-ready version,
and it's an essential app, then it sounds like you have no choice but to
return to XP. Not sure exactly how you'll do that, but it sounds like the
best choice for you...