desktop freezing when idle

djfergy

desktop freezing when idle

I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. When my PC becomes idle for different
periods of time, my desktop freezes. The little blue circle doesn't
move, mouse doesn't work, Ctrl, Alt, Delete doesn't work. I have to
turn it off and on again to get it to work.
As long as the system stays busy with something in motion, everything
is terrific. This has been going on for a couple of weeks & getting
worse. H E L P!

--
djfergy
Questor

Re: desktop freezing when idle
--->
> I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. When my PC becomes idle for different
> periods of time, my desktop freezes. The little blue circle doesn't
> move, mouse doesn't work, Ctrl, Alt, Delete doesn't work. I have to
> turn it off and on again to get it to work.
> As long as the system stays busy with something in motion, everything
> is terrific. This has been going on for a couple of weeks& getting
> worse. H E L P!

The 'little blue circle' is telling you that the system is busy. It
could be related to a screen saver setting. If that isn't operating
properly, then it can never actually go into save mode. Have you tried
turning off the screen saver?

Questor
Ian D

"djfergy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. When my PC becomes idle for different
> periods of time, my desktop freezes. The little blue circle doesn't
> move, mouse doesn't work, Ctrl, Alt, Delete doesn't work. I have to
> turn it off and on again to get it to work.
> As long as the system stays busy with something in motion, everything
> is terrific. This has been going on for a couple of weeks & getting
> worse. H E L P!
>

> --
> djfergy

It sounds like a task is starting when the system is idle, then
it seizes the system. Download Process Explorer, and run it
as "Always on top" in Options before you leave the system idle.
If a lockup occurs, PE should show what process is hogging
the system. I assume you have done the usual scanning for
viruses and malware.

TGL

djfergy;1215127 Wrote:
> I have Vista Home Premium 32bit. When my PC becomes idle for different
> periods of time, my desktop freezes. The little blue circle doesn't
> move, mouse doesn't work, Ctrl, Alt, Delete doesn't work. I have to
> turn it off and on again to get it to work.
> As long as the system stays busy with something in motion, everything
> is terrific. This has been going on for a couple of weeks & getting
> worse. H E L P!

This happened with my Gateway laptop about a year and a half ago and it
done that for about 6 weeks until I was advised by Gateway tech support
to perform a full disc check. After I done the full disc check, the
problem was completely gone! It may not work with yours, but it
shouldn't hurt to try it.

Here's the Check Disc tutorial by Brink:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...sk-chkdsk.html

It took 2 to 3 hours for my computer to perform the disc check, but
afterward, there was no more freezing. Before the disc check, my laptop
was doing exactly what yours is doing. If I got up to go get a glass of
water or something and was gone for maybe a couple of minutes and then
came back to my laptop, the mouse cursor would be frozen and the blue
circle was frozen and I also had to turn mine off and then back on to
get it to work again. So, I know exactly what you are experiencing. I
think I also had to hold the power button down for a few seconds to turn
mine off as well. But, maybe the disc check as shown in the tutorial
will fix it. It fixed mine.

Good luck!

--
TGL