Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

NewsReader2K

Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?
System Specs:

Vista Ultimate
P4 3.2 Ghz
2 gig DDR dual-channel memory

I did a Google search and got bombarded with conflicting info, and was I
wondering if there were an official work-around for this issue?

Thx

brink

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Hi NewsReader2k,

Could be many things causing this. Try these most common remedies:

1. defrag hard drive
2. run a registry cleaner
3. run a registry defragger
4. run disk cleanup
5. make sure you have the most current drivers (BIOS, video, sound,
etc.)

Also try these 3 tips to improve hard drive performance at this link:

'_http://www.vista64.net/forums/tricks-n-tips/59886-how-boost-hard-drive-speed.html_'
(http://tinyurl.com/372cnd)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM
Zygote

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?
brink, I think you're missing the point.

Vista is *Extremely* slow at copying files between drives. As an example, I
just copied the install file for Filezilla from a network location to my hard
disk, a whopping 3.72Mb. It took vista about 1 and a half minutes to copy!!
Most of the time it was "calculating time remaining". The same copy process
to an XP machine is almost instant.

Microsoft really need to fix this.

"brink" wrote:

> Hi NewsReader2k,
>
> Could be many things causing this. Try these most common remedies:
>
> 1. defrag hard drive
> 2. run a registry cleaner
> 3. run a registry defragger
> 4. run disk cleanup
> 5. make sure you have the most current drivers (BIOS, video, sound,
> etc.)
>
> Also try these 3 tips to improve hard drive performance at this link:
>
> '_http://www.vista64.net/forums/tricks-n-tips/59886-how-boost-hard-drive-speed.html_'
> (http://tinyurl.com/372cnd)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Shawn
>

> --
> brink
>
> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
> Vista 64 Home Premium
> 1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM

brink

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Ok Zygote,

Sorry, that is extemely slow. I'm not for sure if this will help, but
I read that uninstall McAfee completely (if you have it) will help.
Read it to at this link and see what you think??

'How to Fix Windows Vista Slow Network Transfer ╗ ADS-Links.com
Internet Marketing - Ian Lee' (http://tinyurl.com/yq32c8)

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
Pete138

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Until MS fixes the problem, try Terracopy from:
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.asp
It works very good.

--
Pete138
Pete138's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21959

http://forums.techarena.in

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?
Zygote

This problem has already been fixed with a hotfix package. Go to the
following website and the KB article. If this is the behavior that you are
seeing, go to the second link to request the hotfix. Fill in the form and
make sure that you enter "931770" in the KB section. You should receive a
reply with a link to download/install the hotfix within 24 hours.

The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files from a
server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer:

Contact Us: Hotfix Request Web Submission Form:
https://support.microsoft.com/common...ge=1&WS=hotfix

You may also want to take a look at this article.

When you copy large files to or from earlier operating systems, the copy
operation may be slower than expected on some Windows Vista-based computers:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932170

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Zygote" <Zygote@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> brink, I think you're missing the point.
>
> Vista is *Extremely* slow at copying files between drives. As an example,
> just copied the install file for Filezilla from a network location to my
> hard
> disk, a whopping 3.72Mb. It took vista about 1 and a half minutes to
> copy!!
> Most of the time it was "calculating time remaining". The same copy
> process
> to an XP machine is almost instant.
>
> Microsoft really need to fix this.
>
> "brink" wrote:
>

>> Hi NewsReader2k,
>>
>> Could be many things causing this. Try these most common remedies:
>>
>> 1. defrag hard drive
>> 2. run a registry cleaner
>> 3. run a registry defragger
>> 4. run disk cleanup
>> 5. make sure you have the most current drivers (BIOS, video, sound,
>> etc.)
>>
>> Also try these 3 tips to improve hard drive performance at this link:
>>
>> '_http://www.vista64.net/forums/tricks-n-tips/59886-how-boost-hard-drive-speed.html_'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/372cnd)
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> "Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
>> Vista 64 Home Premium
>> 1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM

Zygote

RE: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?
Thanks to everyone who replied, there is so much conflicting information out
there regarding this issue but the one that fixed it for me was to disable
the "IP Helper", "Windows Search" and "Computer Browser" services. If I get
time I might enable them again one by one to see if it's just a single
service that's causing this issue. The post I read originally said to
disable "IP Helper" and "Computer Browser".

I'll check the link regarding McAfee as I do have VS8.5i installed and the
protection pilot agent V3.6.6
brink

Re: Vista slow deleting, moving and copying files?

Zygote,

Glad to hear it.
I just read one that said to disable TCP Auto Tuning to fix it. (hehe)
Who knows for sure.

Regards,
Shawn

--
brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
Please post feedback to help others.
NewsReader2k

--
NewsReader2k
NewsReader2k's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26776

Zygote;345194 Wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who replied, there is so much conflicting information
> out
> there regarding this issue but the one that fixed it for me was to
> disable
> the "IP Helper", "Windows Search" and "Computer Browser" services. If I
> get
> time I might enable them again one by one to see if it's just a single
> service that's causing this issue. The post I read originally said to
> disable "IP Helper" and "Computer Browser".
>
> I'll check the link regarding McAfee as I do have VS8.5i installed and
> the
> protection pilot agent V3.6.6

Zygote,

Try disabling the TCP Auto Tune. Go to this link and start ay step 1.
The links for Live Messenger, but it shows you how to disable the Auto
tune. If it doesn't work for you, then just undo it to enable it again.

http://tinyurl.com/2ggylq

Hope this helps,
Shawn