Defragmenter erros.

Lakesidezx

Defragmenter erros.
I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:

Task Scheduler:
An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The following
error was reported: Transaction support within the specified file system
resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error..

What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
thing to run to my own schedule.

Thanks

Mary

RE: Defragmenter errors.
You don't use Task Scheduler for this. Type defrag in the start-search box
and open Disk Defragmenter. Schedule the defrag there. You must choose run as
adminstrator. I'm not sure what that error message means. You might want to
run Chkdsk first to correct errors.

"Lakesidezx" wrote:

> I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:
>
> Task Scheduler:
> An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The following
> error was reported: Transaction support within the specified file system
> resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error..
>
> What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
> thing to run to my own schedule.
>
> Thanks

Lakesidezx

Re: Defragmenter errors.
I've tried that but when I click on disk defragmenter it closes the start
menu, but doesn't actually bring up the defrag window.

"Mary" <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You don't use Task Scheduler for this. Type defrag in the start-search box
> and open Disk Defragmenter. Schedule the defrag there. You must choose run
> as
> adminstrator. I'm not sure what that error message means. You might want
> run Chkdsk first to correct errors.
>
> "Lakesidezx" wrote:
>
>> I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:
>>
>> Task Scheduler:
>> An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The
>> following
>> error was reported: Transaction support within the specified file system
>> resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an error..
>>
>> What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
>> thing to run to my own schedule.
>>
>> Thanks

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Defragmenter erros.
Can you tell me more about the changes you made to the defragmenter
schedule? Were you doing this through the Disk Defragmenter UI, or were you
using Task Scheduler?

"Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:
>
> Task Scheduler:
> An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The
> following error was reported: Transaction support within the specified
> file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an
> error..
>
> What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
> thing to run to my own schedule.
>
> Thanks

Lakesidezx

Re: Defragmenter erros.
I attempted to do it through the Task scheduler, but couldnt due to the
error message that I previously wrote.

When trying to run degfrag now, it never brings up the defrag window, yet in
task manager it shows it there in the list but it doesn't bring up the
defrag window for me.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can you tell me more about the changes you made to the defragmenter
> schedule? Were you doing this through the Disk Defragmenter UI, or were
> you using Task Scheduler?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:
>>
>> Task Scheduler:
>> An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The
>> following error was reported: Transaction support within the specified
>> file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an
>> error..
>>
>> What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
>> thing to run to my own schedule.
>>
>> Thanks

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: Defragmenter erros.
We have seen similar error messages when Backup runs. You might check out
the advice given here:
http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/al...Post.aspx?ID=5

Are you by chance using a new computer that came with Vista installed?

>I attempted to do it through the Task scheduler, but couldnt due to the
>error message that I previously wrote.
>
> When trying to run degfrag now, it never brings up the defrag window, yet
> in task manager it shows it there in the list but it doesn't bring up the
> defrag window for me.
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Can you tell me more about the changes you made to the defragmenter
>> schedule? Were you doing this through the Disk Defragmenter UI, or were
>> you using Task Scheduler?

>> rights.
>>
>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
>> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>>

>> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>> I've tried to change the defragmenter schedule and I get this error:
>>>
>>> Task Scheduler:
>>> An error has occured for task ScheduledDefrag. Error message: The
>>> following error was reported: Transaction support within the specified
>>> file system resource manager is not started or was shutdown due to an
>>> error..
>>>
>>> What the heck does that mean, and more importantly how to I get the darn
>>> thing to run to my own schedule.
>>>
>>> Thanks

Lakesidezx

Re: Defragmenter erros.
I'll check out that article.

No, this computer didn't come with vista preinstalled.

> We have seen similar error messages when Backup runs. You might check out
> the advice given here:
> http://blogs.vertigo.com/personal/al...Post.aspx?ID=5
>
> Are you by chance using a new computer that came with Vista installed?

> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "Lakesidezx" <lakesidezx@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>I attempted to do it through the Task scheduler, but couldnt due to the
>>error message that I previously wrote.
>>
>> When trying to run degfrag now, it never brings up the defrag window, yet
>> in task manager it shows it there in the list but it doesn't bring up the
>> defrag window for me.
>>

>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <jillz@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Can you tell me more about the changes you made to the defragmenter
>>> schedule? Were you doing this through the Disk Defragmenter UI, or were
>>> you using Task Scheduler?
>>>
>>> --
>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit
>>> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Lakesidezx

Re: Defragmenter erros.
Yes doing what that article suggeste did indeed fix my defrag problems. I
used that command a couple days ago when someone here suggested it for my
problems getting windows vista to update. Vista now updates and defrags
like it is designed to after running the fsutil command.