Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart

trepanation

Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart

I'm sorry if some of this information is vague, not too great with
computers...anyways...
I have Gateway laptop with Vista (not sure if it's 64-bit or 32-bit)
and I've been using it for about 10 months and yesterday, I noticed that
when I got online, it was really laggy and saw that 99% of the memory
was being used, so I decided to restart it. (I didn't even have three
programs up.)
Right before the log in screen showed up, a black screen saying my
disks had to be checked, so I let it do the scan. It took a good 10-15
minutes and then when it finished, a black screen came up and after a
few minutes, the pointer came up. No log in screen.
I restarted it a good 20-30 times that day, but nothing worked. I tried
to do system restore with that CD that came with the laptop...but
whatever I tried, it didn't do anything.
Then I didn't use it all day. And today, when I started it again, I let
the CHKDSK scan go through and ended up with a black screen with a
pointer came up again. Then I open the CD tray and then the log in
screen came up. I was happy to see the laptop could 'work' again, but I
don't know what made this happen.
And I have noticed an increase in my memory usage, at first, it would
be over 80% but now it's at 68%.
I was wondering if anyone out there knew what the source of that was
and if I can prevent it.
Thanks and happy new years.

--
trepanation
Rick Rogers

Re: Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart
Hi,

Sounds like your hard drive is failing. As it's less than a year old, I
would suggest you contact the manufacturer for warranty support. Backup any
data you don't want to lose immediately.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"trepanation" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm sorry if some of this information is vague, not too great with
> computers...anyways...
> I have Gateway laptop with Vista (not sure if it's 64-bit or 32-bit)
> and I've been using it for about 10 months and yesterday, I noticed that
> when I got online, it was really laggy and saw that 99% of the memory
> was being used, so I decided to restart it. (I didn't even have three
> programs up.)
> Right before the log in screen showed up, a black screen saying my
> disks had to be checked, so I let it do the scan. It took a good 10-15
> minutes and then when it finished, a black screen came up and after a
> few minutes, the pointer came up. No log in screen.
> I restarted it a good 20-30 times that day, but nothing worked. I tried
> to do system restore with that CD that came with the laptop...but
> whatever I tried, it didn't do anything.
> Then I didn't use it all day. And today, when I started it again, I let
> the CHKDSK scan go through and ended up with a black screen with a
> pointer came up again. Then I open the CD tray and then the log in
> screen came up. I was happy to see the laptop could 'work' again, but I
> don't know what made this happen.
> And I have noticed an increase in my memory usage, at first, it would
> be over 80% but now it's at 68%.
> I was wondering if anyone out there knew what the source of that was
> and if I can prevent it.
> Thanks and happy new years.
>

> --
> trepanation

trepanation

Re: Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart

So would this also affect my Windows Updates? For about a month now,
they haven't been installing correctly (or at all) because at the end of
the 'installation' is says 'reverting changes.'

--
trepanation
Rick Rogers

Re: Black screen and CHKDSK when I restart
Hi,

It will affect everything as the system attempts to write to the drive. Data
will be corrupted and any installation attempts will likely fail.